-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Raghorn: I have never eaten a sheephead. Are they good? Schitt, who am I kidding, my family family in Louisiana could cook a rubber boot and make it taste good. I just have never thought about keepin them when I caught em. Always threw em back. Funky teeth on the bastids though!

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ingwe-- we just got back from the Middle Keys on Tues. Luckily, we missed the [bleep] that passed through Nashville last weekend and thankfully no major damage to our house. BUT, 3 days of feeshing the flats, and not a feesh caught. Wind was blowing 15-25, gusts to 30, water temp hovering at 80 degrees. Thousands of tarpon were hanging out in the channels, waiting for the flats to warm up, they like 85-87 degrees on the flats for the migrators to move up really good. Saw a few laid up fish, but b/c of the chop, we couldn't spot them until the boat was practically right on top of them. By then, the fish had seen the boat too and weren't interested in participating in our fun. We maybe had 15 shots at tarpon, all over a 100lbs, 1 shot at permit, saw 1 school of bones and few singles. Permit were off spawning, so we didn't see many of them. I can't figure out why we saw so few bones.

I guess for every "hit it out of the park" trip there are some busts too.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK...

Maybe you don't suck quite so bad...... wink

Or are you just tryin' to make me feel better..after watching it snow on Cinco de Mayo...and Seis de mayo for that matter....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
Raghorn: I have never eaten a sheephead. Are they good? Schitt, who am I kidding, my family family in Louisiana could cook a rubber boot and make it taste good. I just have never thought about keepin them when I caught em. Always threw em back. Funky teeth on the bastids though!

They are quite good. I only keep the ones that are big enough to mess with (4lbs + or so). Don't ever cut into the rib cage, just walk your knive right over the top and over it. You will end up with a pretty nice cut of meat that I refer to as "sheephead shoulders." I like them on the grill but they are damn hard to beat when fried fresh after catching.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by raghorn
. We would be catching them now if not for the oil spill!

The oil hasn't affected the fishing one bit!!!!!!!
Go catch em.......DAMN MEDIA!!!!!!!

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
IC B2

raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Your right, the fish probably has not been affected, but all fishing east of South Pass has been closed to fishing by the LWFP. That means all of Shell Beach, Hopedale, Delacroix, and the east side in Venice is closed to all fishing!

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
raghorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good advice has been given. They are a great tasting fish, just a little harder to filet.
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by DeerTracker

They are quite good. I only keep the ones that are big enough to mess with (4lbs + or so). Don't ever cut into the rib cage, just walk your knive right over the top and over it. You will end up with a pretty nice cut of meat that I refer to as "sheephead shoulders." I like them on the grill but they are damn hard to beat when fried fresh after catching.

B.C. don't matter.............Laffin!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by HuntKY
A few Port Sulphur, LA fish. They aren't afraid of the fly.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My buddies....

Those are nice reds to pick up on a fly!!!

Type of fly?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yall seeing any of that stinkin' oil yet?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,034
Posts18,481,933
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.