Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lodgepole
Originally Posted by Idaho_Biker
.270 for my money, a little flatter, a little faster, 140 gr. works for me, reaches out to around 400 yds mostly for deer here in Idaho, still based on an .06 case. Both are great cartridges and no matter where you are if you forget your ammo you'll be able to always find .270 or .06, try that with a 35 Whelen.

Not trying to be a turd but have you ever heard of anyone who went on a hunting trip and forgot their ammo? I've been hunting since the late 1960s and I never heard of anyone who forgot their ammo and had to save the trip by going to the local hardware store in some small town and picking up ammo.

I've run out of ammo and had to buy shotgun shells locally but thats another story.

Forgetting their ammo no....running out while hunting antelope yes!! I guided a guy one time that used up both boxes of .300 win. mag. that he brought in a three day stretch. We fetched some more at the local hardware store and continued on....he finally got his buck on day four...that record still stands, 68 shots fired!

Last edited by scenarshooter; 05/22/10.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Betting he was an MPBR guy.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He was....but I made him hunt with a cold chamber....grin!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pat..you are a nicer man than me...( than I ( ? )..)

I havent shot 68 rounds at antelope in my life and someone like that, who has so little regard for the game, lets just say wouldn't have got to shoot 68 rounds at them either.... whistle

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think alot of you would be surprised at the people needing ammo during hunting season for one reason or the other.Here where I live there is exactly 1.5 places to buy ammo and if it isn't a popular caliber,your out of luck..I needed a box of .375 H&H to sight in my .375 and none to be found closer than 75 miles away.

Sheet happens out there..

Jayco

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Pat..you are a nicer man than me...( than I ( ? )..)

I havent shot 68 rounds at antelope in my life and someone like that, who has so little regard for the game, lets just say wouldn't have got to shoot 68 rounds at them either.... whistle

Ingwe

Not only did he have the record for most shots fired, he also had the most cactus in his knees, elbows and forearms....I guess thats what you would call, "poetic justice".

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have a buddy who used to be a .280 fan. In fact he outfitted both his wife and 2 daughters with a .280 as well. They headed for eastern Montana one fall to hunt antelope and he took along a couple boxes of ammo, which he thought would be plenty.

They ran out of ammo before all the antelope tags were filled and went to the nearest town (can't remember where, but it was tiny) and couldn't find any .280 ammo.

Before the next hunting season he sold traded all the .280's in on .270's and has been happy ever since. Besides, as he told me, "I never could see the difference between the .270 and .280 on game anyway!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Not only did he have the record for most shots fired, he also had the most cactus in his knees, elbows and forearms....I guess thats what you would call, "poetic justice".

Good...at least he had to do some crawling...

But hey...I thought I set the record for cactus spines.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
as he told me, "I never could see the difference between the .270 and .280 on game anyway!"

HERETIC!! laugh

Ingwe

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
as he told me, "I never could see the difference between the .270 and .280 on game anyway!"

HERETIC!! laugh

Ingwe

Chucklin' here..... grin

We are ssooo sick and twisted....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not trying to be a turd but have you ever heard of anyone who went on a hunting trip and forgot their ammo? ...

On one elk hunt I opened a box of relaods only to discover I had somehow grabbed the wrong box of ammo before leaving home, which was by then over 5 hours away. Not just the wrong ammo, it was also the wrong cartridge.

Fortunately I had a second rifle and the correct ammo for it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Not trying to be a turd but have you ever heard of anyone who went on a hunting trip and forgot their ammo? ...

On one elk hunt I opened a box of relaods only to discover I had somehow grabbed the wrong box of ammo before leaving home, which was by then over 5 hours away. Not just the wrong ammo, it was also the wrong cartridge.

Fortunately I had a second rifle and the correct ammo for it.

I'm sure it could easily happen. I went on a four-day fishing trip with a good buddy a few years ago and as we approached the lake, about 4 hours from home, he realized that he had forgotten his fishing rod. He'll never live that one down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first thought when I saw this thread was to go back to my stacks of mags from the 70/80's and scan all the articles I could find written on such subject...grin

Then I thought, ah heck it might be entertaining, kind of like a 7/08 vs 308 thread might be if...we ever did one...grin

As to 68 rounds at lopes, yepper that's a bunch, how many times did he stop to clean...grin

One of the rodeo's I observed over the years was a fella taking 27 rounds from a 300 to whittle down an elk.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You shoulda made him fish with a Barbie pole!

Two pages added in just overnight. Lookin more like this turd will make ten pages now.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, but it's wandered a little far from the original question, to forgetting ammo and fishing poles, which indicates the original question was, ah, less than dynamic.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Forgetting their ammo no....running out while hunting antelope yes!! I guided a guy one time that used up both boxes of .300 win. mag. that he brought in a three day stretch. We fetched some more at the local hardware store and continued on....he finally got his buck on day four...that record still stands, 68 shots fired!

I read this earlier and the impact of it just did not sink in until a few minutes ago when I read it again......how does this shidt happen???? shocked

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy you go hunting with me, Pat was very gracious with me that day... grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Back when I was guiding in the late 1980's, one of the clients who hunted with us was a kid just out of high school. The kid had already decided he wanted to be an Alaskan guide, so bought a .338 Winchester Magnum. It was his only rifle so he brought it for the pronghorn hunt, and used up over a box of ammo the first day, flinching and missing.

That evening the outfitter talked the kid into using the outfitter's .25-06 the next day, but by then the kid's shoulder was so badly bruised that he couldn't even handle that.

On the third and final day of his scheduled hunt, he was given to me, because I was willing to give him a shooting lesson before we went out, and loan him yet another rifle, my Ruger 77 .220 Swift. (The big reason for me giving him the shooting lesson was that I had actually built the benchrest and practice range out behind the barn on the ranch. The outfitter generally had clients check their scopes by shooting over the hood of a pickup at some indeterminate range.)

I first had him shoot the Swift at a target at 100 yards, and after the first shot (where he discovered that it didn't kick enough to hurt him) he managed a decent group. Then I had him shoot at the 300-yard gong, and when he hit that a few times(and was ecstatic) we went hunting.

By 8:00 we'd stalked within about 150 yards of a nice buck, and after the kid shot the buck trotted in a tiny circle and fell over. The 60-grain Nosler Solid Base had done about the same job a .243 would have, with a quarter-sized exit hole on the other side of the rib cage.

Now, that particular pronghorn took over 50 shots, so yes I can see 60-something shots.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have never told Mark!....Grin!

I knew it was going to be a long day with this guy after the first stalk...we bellied to within 200 yards of a really nice 15" buck....I slid my day pack out in front of him and instructed him to use it for a rest. He shoved it out of the way and whispered "I dont need it". I looked over at him as he raised up on one knee to shoot....with his left elbow just hanging free. I can remember thinking, well maybe this guy is some sort of ringer..the first shot hit about 5 feet low and as the buck spooked and took off he fired two more quick running shots at it and hit way behind it. He was shooting a BAR .300WM with a 3-9 Leupold. We made another good sneak on the same buck and that was a repeat performance of the first go...I suggested we go back to camp and check the rifle again on paper. I also checked the mounts and ring screws and all was tight. I set a target at 50 yards and he shot a 3 shot group that was about 5". He told me that was the as good as it ever shot and was more than good enough for all of the elk hunting he had done back home in heavy timber...he was a really good guy but didnt have a concept of hunting critters out in the open...the funniest shot was on a buck he shot at about 250 yards. The bullet hit an honest 25 yards low and only a couple feet low on the ricochet!! I offered to him the use of my Sako .220 swift but he said he didnt want to take a chance of wounding an antelope with my gopher gun!!

I'm not making this up...it really happened!!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He was shooting a BAR .300WM with a 3-9 Leupold.

AH-HA, spray and pray...

I don't want to state it that all individuals who hunt with a self-loading rifle lack marksmanship skills, but some are just overtaken with a false sense that sheer firepower will somehow get the job done.

Autoloaders have a place, but not as a substitute for marksmanship. Some try to do just that.

An AR in a Prairy dog town is sinfully fun.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,582
Posts18,473,355
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.