Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
wrap antlers in tin foil to keep rats from chewing them and bury up to the base of the antlers in the back yard for 6 months. Clean and peroxide if wanted afterwards. Don't dig it up too soon in that it really stinks.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a friend with beetles....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
wrap antlers in tin foil to keep rats from chewing them and bury up to the base of the antlers in the back yard for 6 months. Clean and peroxide if wanted afterwards. Don't dig it up too soon in that it really stinks.

i did a coyote that way, found out that 4 months was too long. Depends on the soil. In the garden. 6 weeks is plenty.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just watched an episode of the tv show "Bones" and they used Dermestid Beetles to clean off the bones of an explosion victim. grin

If it's good enough for Dr. Temperance Brennan then it's good enough for me! wink

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Clean off all the fur. Remove the eyes. Place skull in a trashbag and knot the top. This will keep in any humidity so the tissue doesn't dry out. Place a recycle bin on top to keep animals away. Place cinderblocks or other weights on top of recycle bin. Wait about 6 months. Presto, clean skull. Make sure you place the skull away from your home. They stink pretty bad if you're downwind. It's amazing how the bugs eat right through the bag. When it's done, the bag will look like it has 10 million pinholes in it. Clean the skull with "skull whitener".

http://www.skullwhitener.com/

Never be upset by getting old, many never get the privilege.

Knock knock. Who's there? 9/11. 9/11 who? You said you'd never forget.
IC B2

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I've had the pleasure to do quite a few bear skulls and have found beetles to be the easiest way to do a skull simply because someone else did it for me, but since I like to do my own, here is what I've found works best for me. I pull the skull, scramble the brains, pop out the eyes then I put the whole head without removing any of the meat into a pot of boiling water w/ a scoop of Oxyclean for no more than a half hour. When you pull the skull from the water all the cartilage and other connective tissue pulls from the skull and stays with the meat. When I have cleaned a skull of most of the meat before hand and then boiled I found it time consuming to pick and clean the leftovers that did not come off. After I pull it from the pot I'll hit it with a pressure washer and blow out the excess which isn't much, then I'll toss the skull into a bucket of acetone for about 10 days, this removes all the oil in the skull. If I want it to be whiter I've used just over the counter peroxide and soaked it in that for about a week, it works, but I have never had the chance to use anything stronger. That's what has been the quickest turnaround for me, also the cheapest and no foul odors.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
It also worked really well for a couple of dall rams after I popped the horns.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Follow Sam's process with degreasing in Coleman fuel. )Taxidermy forums can fill you in on Sally's Beauty Supply items for whitening / bleaching kits if Makenzie is too pricey.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (7887mm08, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.