Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 137 of 150 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 149 150
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I ain't gonna read this whole damn thread.

Did anybody kill a fuggin' pig or not?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
at least one went down in a knife fight.....a few shot as well.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I ain't even gonna ask how much likker it took to make somebody pile on a pig with a Barlow knife,...but my hat's off to'em.

Back in my salad days,..strong drink made me wrassel a hog or two,...no knives were involved,..but in lookin' back, maybe there shoulda been.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
For some reason, the lyrics to my song about Big Donna started runnin' through my head,..

~~~OHHHHHH-OH, yeah Big Donna,
I shoulda left ya alone but didn't wanna,
8 cold beers always gimme the nerve,
Ta get ya butt nekkid in the game reserve~~~

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Back in my salad days,..strong drink made me wrassel a hog or two,...no knives were involved,..but in lookin' back, maybe there shoulda been.

Too bad that was before You-Tube.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I want to hear more about this knife Bobby used on the pig.....what kind of moly coated premium knife was used.

I always figured my Cold steel Bushranger would make a fine pigsticker......maybe from horseback like back in the Raj.

BTW.....if anybody wants to shoot a bunch of nutria, come on down to LA. They may be a little oily, but we got plenty of them.

Well they kind of shocked us all when they told us no guns around the dogs and that a knife was used to stick the pig. So we were all talking big, about who would do the deed. When the nut cracking time came, one really good guy stepped forward and did the deed. Picture a dry creek bed, a 4 foot cut out under the bank. That's where the hog went, up into the very back, about 4 foot to the back wall.
Dogs running crazy, 10 or more people trying to look, quite a scene.
Leroy was up at the front, so when he can I'm sure he will add his account.

Two dog were injured I think from the pig and not Bobby.

Nutria, didn't even know they lived in the hill country, thought they were all in La and East Texas, we (the group up drinking at the lodge) just heard this big boom, it was dark and we had no idea of what was shot. So we just kept drinking.
Drinks, had some fine Canadian beer, really liked that stuff.
Deet keeps the bugs away.
One thing about this trip was you really had to hunt many many hours which we all did. Beautiful ranch, I really need to own it, no chance in that. The set up perfect, clean housing , great food, really nice hard working staff. Mark (the outfitter) is a great Texas guy who fit right in with the group.

Way back up in this thread, what Bob was talking about on the rub deal, is spices to smoke with. We missed our spice man, so several brought some on this trip and gave it to Bob as we were leaving.

For some reason, this whole group of people are a great group. Many good conversations were had. If I could get away, I would go to Wyo, but that's not in the cards.
Have time to plan for Dec, if invited I'll do my best for that one and make that drive.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
'hit's a good thing fer sure.

Don't even get me started about how Pencil Head had her off in the weeds about 40' in front of Mr Beagle's '71 Chevelle.

Pitch black night,..me and Mr Beagle sharin' a joint while sittin' on the hood of his car,...Pencil and Big Donna up there somewhere doin' their thing.

Alla sudden,...for reasons that I can't fathom 35+ years later, Mr Beagle,..in a particularly stoned state of mind, suddenly declared, "I gotta see this".

With that, he walked around,...reached in the open window on the driver's side, and pulled the knob which kicked on the headlights.

I suppose the fact that one of 'em was called "Big Donna" and the other was commonly referred to as "Pencil Head", should be descriptive enough,...so I won't go into further visualizations,...but suffice it to say that the sight was enough to make my THC sodden self roll off the hood of the car and wad up in the fetal position while gasping for breath in between uncontrollable bouts of spitting, hacking laughter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Originally Posted by DavidHauck
round trip ticket to Texas $ 325
rental car $ 250
hunt $ 650
OVER PENETRATION $ PRICELESS

you puss, what happened to brokedickrick ?

Hell I thought he was going with SwingingRichard grin

Isaac/Bob
Thanks I can't tell you how great it was to be able to spend time with my boy like that. I never had much of a father myself, so I try my damnedest to be the best I can for both of my kids. Half the time I am not sure if I am getting it right, so when I read the things you wrote... well its good to know.

Thanks to everyone! We both had such a good time. I can say for certain we will do this again. Maybe not the nutria bit, but everything else for sure. wink

Incidently Constant, Stephen is still sure you were tapping his shoulder in the truck and has decided he will have to get you back for that dirty trick... His words not mine amigo. laugh

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I want to hear more about this knife Bobby used on the pig.....what kind of moly coated premium knife was used.

I always figured my Cold steel Bushranger would make a fine pigsticker......maybe from horseback like back in the Raj.

BTW.....if anybody wants to shoot a bunch of nutria, come on down to LA. They may be a little oily, but we got plenty of them.

Steve it was a clipped bowie that Bubba the fella that owned the hounds carried strapped on in a shoulder type rig. It had a full brass guard and hilt to protect the hand. At least a 10" blade. True pig sticker.
Bubba (his real name) is 72 years old and didn't act a day older than 45. Near the end of the first nights hunt the dogs were getting tired and he had his friend drive while he took the dogs out in front of the truck and roaded them trying to get them to strike a fresh trail. Watched him run uphill with the dogs for about a quarter of a mile. We should all hope to be in that condition at his age!
The strike dogs he brought the first night were Lacy's and at least one was crossed with a bird dog (pointer I presume) to improve their nose and stamina. Tough dogs. The catch dogs were pit bull - bull mastiff crosses stout enough to ride.
I spent most of my young life running coon hounds and expected to hear a race but this hog was very close to a cut bank ledge eight or nine feet deep twenty or so feet wide and only a little over three feet high and this hog put his back to the wall damn quick.
That's what made this so western was the location he bayed up at needed a confined space permit and I figure Bobby had one in his pocket cuz Bubba handed him the knife and he pricked his heart as slick as any slaughter house man I've ever seen. Three of the dogs got hog cut back in that hole but no one else got a scratch, except the hog. I was right behind him shining a strong light with one hand free to grab him by the belt and head for the nearest pecan tree but it turned out just fine. We helped Bubba patch up the dogs gave them water and Gatorade then took off again. I figure the dogs were real glad Bobby showed up when he did... grin

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
it's was an event i'll never forget.

me and ol' excaliber smile

okie i'm glad you were watching my back.

FJB
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
After thinking about the whole experience for a couple of hours, all I can say is that it was an honor to be in the company of such a nice, intelligent, talented, diverse and funny group of individuals! Each individual conversation, impromptu group discussion, pickup truck ride, meal, and after dinner BS session was a pleasure and worth the effort to get there.

The night in San Antonio allowed a nice meet and greet along the Riverwalk. We also got to sit at the bar and meet new friends before breaking off for some after parties. The ranch venue, with its sprawling lawn and panoramic views, was relaxing and conducive to good conversation. My cell phone did not work there and time stood still for a couple of days.

As for the hunt, I went to visit with friends I had not seen in person, not to hunt. I may have popped a small tasty looking pig, but I generally consider them to be vile, filthy animals and only slightly better than pit bulls. The guides worked VERY hard to provide a good time. If it walked, flew or swam, and was legal, we were offered the opportunity, if not encouraged, to take a shot. To see two truckloads of people getting excited over getting a shot at a nutria was a trip.

I�d goof up if I tried to go through every person with Bob�s level of detail, so I will only say a big thanks to Pat for putting this together, to Pat and Bart for their culinary talents, and to Keith for the good conversation during the long drives.

I also want to give a big thanks to RickBin for creating a place where people from all over the world, from all walks of life, and at different stages of life�s journey, can be friends long before they get to shake hands in person.

Dang I wish I was that eloquent.....

Constant I couldn't have had a better navigator!

That was indeed eloquent and couldn't agree more. Teri has been looking at the pics and giggling since we got home. She is ready to go again!!! (me too)

+1..

I had lots of of folks pegged on here as good guys and it was no surprise that the weekend turned out like it did...

Like Bill I wish I had more time to BS with everyone to some level. Awesome group of folks.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
+2 ....also welcome to the campfire Dave

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Pat..."Bart, I got 17 cousins just like you"

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
...just like him.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Fellas,

Here is a flow gauge about 30 miles downstream from where we were this weekend.

Time Flow (cfs)
9:12 AM 278 (normal)
9:42 AM 281
9:56 AM 377
10:11 AM 1444
10:26 AM 2735
10:41 AM 3638
10:57 AM 4022
11:11 AM 4305

Last night there was a major storm cell just to the south and west of where we were, obviously within the watershed. It was a small cell and covered a very small area. Up to 15" were recorded in a matter of hours. Rock doesn't soak up much rain.

This could have been disastrous if we were swimming at the time.

Life in the Hill Country...

Link to rainfall history. Hope the link works...

Edited to add: Link doesn't work but copy it in your browser and it will work.

As a side note Pat, maybe the "rejuvenated hybrids" got flushed out of there before they owners saw them....grin...

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=1&frame=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=SJT&type=NTP&showstorms=0&lat=30.73710060&lon=-99.22740173&label=Mason,%20TX&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

Last edited by GregW; 05/25/10.

- Greg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just got a text from LeRoy he is back in Canadia and about 306 miles from home!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
...just like him.

Well, sign them up for the Fire so Bart won't have to shoulder the whole load!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Another side note regarding the rainfall.

Some of the other runoff is just now getting to Junction on the Llano.

In 14 minutes, the water levels of the Llano River, in Junction, rose 6 feet.

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In the last 45 minutes the Llano in Junction has risen 11 feet...

- Greg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
In the last 45 minutes the Llano in Junction has risen 11 feet...

Holy crap.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Page 137 of 150 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 149 150

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 16penny, 9 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,113
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.