Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by wildswalker
The Corps qualifies at 500 with the M4, no?

Show me as many AK toting ragheads that can do the same........
No individual raghead needs to do that. They can use massed fire at longer ranges than can US soldiers using M4s.

And, you know this exactly how?

Of course, we can't use massed fire at all, huh? Damned M240s and M249s can't do that, right? MkIXs must suck at it... M2s fail, I guess.

Try guessing on something where you actually have a semblence of a clue. Hint: this ain't one of those topics.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
It isn't the troops fault.......

Well, that is, unless you ask the leftists, the .gov apologists, the lie-berals, and the MSM.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
No, there is an actual difference in downrange effectiveness.

I don't [bleep] care if we fight on the ground with blue baseball bats instead of red ones.

The whole thing went out the window when we started being nice.

Burn it down...........

[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
No disagreement there, amigo.

The military's job is to go to distant lands, see unique things - and break them, meet interesting people - and kill them, and then come the [bleep] home.

Go there, break stuff, kill damned near anyone/everyone, and GTFO.

Make your "visit" so memorable that no one else ever wants to contemplate "enjoying" the same.

When we lost that, we lost.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

No individual raghead needs to do that. They can use massed fire at longer ranges than can US soldiers using M4s.

And, you know this exactly how?

Of course, we can't use massed fire at all, huh? Damned M240s and M249s can't do that, right? MkIXs must suck at it... M2s fail, I guess.

Try guessing on something where you actually have a semblence of a clue. Hint: this ain't one of those topics.

Man, that was a GOOD reply VA.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
They can use massed fire at longer ranges than can US soldiers using M4s.

Drinking and typing are a bad combo....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Nebraska

Consider the source.....

[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Make your "visit" so memorable that no one else ever wants to contemplate "enjoying" the same.

When we lost that, we lost.

Couldn't agree more....on both counts.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I will withhold comment on the whole M4 / 5.56 issue, but I will note that I see flights of A-10's almost daily here in the Ouachita's.

Seems to me they could be put to much better use in Afghanistan than here. Instant close air support would tend to make the whole infantry weapon issue a moot point, would it not?

ego operor non tutela
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Close-air ain't a bad thing. But, boots on the ground, securing real estate = victory.

When you keep patroling the same circuit, trying ti find new bad guys who've replaced the ones you killed yesterday or last week, and allow them to retain control of their turf, you don't win.

Never, ever refight for the same ground. ALWAYS take the fight to the enemy, take their positions, and make them die for their country/beliefs.

Those ROEs are as old as warfare, and never waver from true.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, there's ragheads... and then there's ragheads...

Rifles are part of the traditional Afghan culture in that open country. Winston Churchill wrote of 'em....

"To the ferocity of the Zulu are added the craft of the Redskin and the marksmanship of the Boer,"

I believe more'n a few of our casualties there have been from aimed rifle fire .

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Never, ever refight for the same ground. ALWAYS take the fight to the enemy, take their positions, and make them die for their country/beliefs.

Those ROEs are as old as warfare, and never waver from true

I agree 100%. But I think boots on the ground works better after you blow their fortifications / hiding places to schit with air power.

I believe this was pretty much what was happening at the beginning of the Afghan operation, Spec Ops infiltrating enemy territory and ID'ing targets, air power taking out targets, and then infantry coming in and mopping up. It was working then, we should still be doing it now, "collateral damage" be damned.

ego operor non tutela
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
As a former grunt, I'm all for "softening" schit up. Do so, at will.

And, you're right. That was what was occurring, or at least that was the implication.

Of course, that's prior to having the Manchurian Muslim and his merry band of defeatists in power.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The media requires us to not only win our wars, but to do so with style points. Simple victory is insufficient. Not only must we win, but those we defeat must love us and acknowledge our victory as the best possible outcome of the war.

We give candy with one hand and cluster bombs with the other. Like our policy, our wars are schizophrenic.

The object of war is to break the will of the enemy to resist, i.e., to subjugate the enemy. Our desire for them to love us as well is simple hubris and delusion.

My personal philosophy of war aside, it would seem reasonable in this day and age to create a rugged, reliable, accurate rifle with modest recoil and rapid fire capability able to inflict decisive damage to the enemy at a reasonable cost per unit.

Of course, in no way does the AR15/M16/M4 platform fit this description. We've only known that for 45 years. Sigh.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yeah, the tribal cultures of Iran and Afghanistan are legendary marksmen. And in truth, we're probably lucky they switched from their Enfields and Persian Mausers to the AK. If they had those, they would seriously outrange us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nebraska

Drinking??? Drinking alone will cause that much consistently annoying drivel year after year??? I've been thinking some kind of hybrid psychiatric disorder...

Do they make breathalyzers for keyboards whistle

Please don't feed the trolls!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Beyond ANY shadow of doubt, this is Pontification, in it's purest sense.

Just EXACTLY how much time do you have on the M4 system there, Pit-Bull Man ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's the 'massed Fire thing that FLOORED me.

General Ferdinand Foch has spoken ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soldiers of any flavor hate and fear that which kills and maims them the most. US Troopers hate and fear IEDs,Taliban and El Qaida hate and fear airpower. WWll Germans greatly hated and feared our artillery. We greatly hated and feared the MG 42 MGs. If we want to win and instill real fear, our Soldiers are going to have to be doing the real killing. Massed fire never seemed to make much difference. WTF good is 10,000 misses per minute?? Give the guys a GOOD powerful,accurate rifle and throw the selective fire crap away. Leave that to the MGs. TEACH EVERY SWINGIN' DICK TO SHOOT!!! WWl the standard was evrybody had to hit a man size target at 500 yds and a head shot at 250. RELIABLY! Change the ROE and make the Troopers killers..AGAIN!!

Last edited by EvilTwin; 05/25/10.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,535
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.