-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is not the sort of thing I wish to hear, to young of a man to go at 53. I only know Allen from here and some PM's back and forth over the years. I am at lost for the words. There is nothing more to say. I am sure that he is now on that Endless Safari.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is very sad news to hear. My thoughts and prayers go out to Allen's family. Tonight Allen shares a small gleaming campfire with hunters from another time, such as Selous, Taylor, Bell and others.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very sad, I enjoyed his informative posts. Been reading them for a long time both here and on AR

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Allen may have left us at only 53 but he lived life larger than most of us ever will.

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry to hear that. I never met him but I always enjoyed his posts.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
A very sad day. I learned alot from Allen reading his posts. I have copied many of them. I will pray for him and his family.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Over on AR one of the guys posted a tribute photo album to Allen. Karl and I agreed that it was fitting and Allen would have liked them. I am re-posting it here.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-11/1106195/2133230

Carpe' Scrotum
K
Karl_D Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Steve, Thank you

Life NRA Member

Life SCI Member
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah Steve, thanks for posting that. Its been so long since he posted, but the photos made me recognize him immediately. I barely knew him through this forum.53 is way too young to leave the party..
I hope the Red Gods smile on him in the next life, as much or more than they did in this one...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Steve and Karl, thank you very much for that.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Very sad to hear that Allen has passed away. I spoke to Allen several times on the phone and bought a knife from him in the classifieds. Allen was the kind of person that you could send cash and never worry about needing a papaer trail very honest and straight forward. The world could use more like that.

He will be deeply missed....

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
JPK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very sad news. His family has my condolences and prayers.

JPK

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So sad. So young. My condolences.

maddog

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I did not know him for long,nor as well as others on here,but as a new CF member, I was privileged to communicate with him and had a good many enjoyable phone conversations. His knowledge was exceptional,he was passionate as to both his hunting and rifles, and a forthright and honest gentleman.

I knew of his illness and am saddened by his passing. We've all been diminished.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Sad news for sure, I only new him through posts and some PM's but he sure seemed like a stand-up guy, a loss for all.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I greatly enjoyed reading his posts and was impressed by how helpful he was. Sad to hear of his passing. Its nice to know that he made good use of the time he had. God Bless Allen.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Well said Jim. He was a good man. I miss him. E

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I talked to my brother last night about this final chapter of a person's life and it is a very sad thing for sure. Allen and I disagreed on a few things, we were both obviously highly opinionated, but I always respected the fact he never wavered from his beliefs. It always makes things easier to discuss when you know what to expect from the other person and there was no doubt what you could expect from Allen. Rarely was his opinion not based on his personal experiences and he had a ton of actual experience. It is pretty hard to find fault with a person such as that, and it is without a doubt a quality worth striving for.

Our best e-mails and P.M.s concerned Jack O'Connor and the rifles Earl Milliron made for Jack. Allen knew Milliron very well personally and knew about all the rifles he built for Jack. He was very helpful and gracious with his knowledge on the subject. He mentioned once that he was thinking about writing an article on the subject and I encouraged him to do so, as he may very well have been the only person who could do so. Sadly I have lost what he did tell me about the rifles in a computer mishap. In the last year or so e-mails and P.M.s went unanswered so I was quite sure something was wrong. It was a real shock when my brother e-mailed me about his passing.

As others have mentioned, it is very sad when a person as young as this passes on. I trust his family and close friends have many treasured memories and hopefully they will ease some of the pain in the coming days. I am thankful for what I knew about Allen and will remember him most as a person of good character and abundant personal knowledge of what he spoke about. He was truly a man to "Ride the river with".

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
He will be deeply missed....

For sure!

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wow, very sad to hear. He will hunt more, kill more, and know more about that than I ever will. I always appreciated his stories and he was always nice enough to respond to a pm.

rest easy Mr. Day

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,170
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.