Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've used a Paratipi for years and had one of the first 6-man tipis. On my Dall sheep hunt above tree line I left the stove at home and slept myself and one pard very comfortably in the Para. When we got to base camp to meet our bush plane it was to windy to be picked up, so we camped over night. I set up my tipi and suggested that our guide join us for the night instead of unpacking his tent. It was very comfortable.......except for the odor of three guys in the same tent without a shower for two weeks. Wow!

I sold my 6-man and for me, I think a paratipi and a 8-man for base camp or low altitude camping would work out great. I also carry a paratarp with me on backpack hunts for spike camping or wood and gear storage when I sleep two w/stove in the paratipi. Got'a love the Kifaru gear!

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had and used a 4 man for a few years but I never warmed up to it. With the stove it was just too much to backpack any distance. For two guys I thought is was pretty tight with the placement of the stove and center pole. in warmer weather or wet weather (read Alaska) it was a wet drippy mess w/o the stove going. In my opinion it is a better really cold weather tent where the stove pays benifits. I didn't like leaving it for a day while hunting and coming back and finding everything wet from ground moisture condensing on the wall and spraying all over when the wind came up. Leaving the front partially open helped, but not much. I agree though the fire is nice. Now I use a light 2 or 1 man tent for backpacking and a larger tent for a base. I think for a light base camp the 8 man might be ok.

YMMV.

LC

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Very interesting point, my admittedly short experiment with a 6 man, PT and 8-man here in wet B.C. led me to a similar conclusion, so, I retained the 8-man, with liner, for a cooking/eating shelter in a base camp and added a Hilleberg Saivo for sleeping in.

This is a really effective rig for MY uses and is versatile and easy to transport. I don't care about standing room in my sleeping tent, but, having that tipi to have a fire in during a wind/rain/snow storm is a literal gawdsend. I expect to keep and use this until I am 90+ and getting a little too old for this stuff......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've slept in pretty much all the Kifaru offerings. They all need a liner. I won't use a paratipi with center pole configuration. A-frame is the only way to fly.

For me, I like:

- Sil-tarp for light and fast trips where dry to moderate precipitation is expected when I'm fairly certain of being able to get tucked in someplace out of the wind in a flat spot.

- Hennessy Hammock for all trips where lots of bugs are expected and/or soggy ground conditions and/or topography warrants having the ability sleep most anywhere I please in a matter of minutes. Pitching and takedown are a snap.

- Paratipi in A-Frame configuration with partial liner for colder fall hunting trips where mobility is key and warmth is a HUGELY attractive option.

- 8-Man tipi and large stove and liner for luxurious base camps anytime of year for two to 4 men for extended periods.

Allen

Last edited by Bushcraft; 04/26/08.

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

5x5 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Allen,
Could you tell me what your using for the A-frame poles and the partial liner? Thanks, Ian

IC B2

R
RAT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
What is the difference between the center pole and the a frame?
How do you set up the a frame.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great Thread and info!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.