Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SeanD
With a standard cab, 8 foot. With crew cab, 6.5 foot. So much easier to get around in and turn around on a FS road. How much room does a guy really need? If its for work, maybe 8 foot, for play, the short bed.

And these are PICKUPS, not trucks......

Been there done that with 65' over the road rig, lots of fun...... Did the FS road thing and it can get a little dicey.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've always been satisfied with the 6 1/2' beds- they can carry what lumber I need up to 8-10' with the tail gate down, and when you have the extend cab or crew cab, the shorter bed gives you the feeling that you're not driving a school bus. I have a trailer that I use for loads that my short-bed pickups couldn't handle.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Crew-cab, short box, Power-Stroke. Shane (Montana Marine) is alwalys wrong! wink But then, he doesn't have three girls and a very large wife either. I have had all three configurations, and wouldn't go back to the others. I need more room inside than out, and what I need to haul, usually fits in the bed. this parks a lot better than my old ex-cab long-box.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jamie
I cant see buying a full sized truck with a short bed.
Exactly.. IMHO those are for city-folks... Nothin' wrong there, but if you're in the country and actually going to USE that box, bigger is better..

Mine's an F-350 PSD, long box, crew cab dualie 4X4.. You can't ever have too much truck.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look on it this way. You can always put just a little stuff in a long bed that will hold a lot but you can't put a lot in a short bed.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i prefer 8 foot bed

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have 2 rules for my trucks.... don't buy anything less than 3/4 ton and right now we run a 1 ton, and never buy a short bed. Its about worthless IMHO. That extra size on a 8 footer takes a LOT of stuff.

I've taken my F350/4 door long bed down what are labeled as jeep trails in CO. Took it down one a few folks said they didn't want their jeeps on either... some tight areas but worked out fine if you know how to drive... and I shake my head at the locals not wanting to take a jeep down that one....

The only use of a short bed would be on a small truck for running around like our old Nissan....but boy can you fill that bed up quick...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Life's full of compromises. I don't make my living with my truck, I use it to haul a dead deer a couple times a year, to throw the two dog box in the back and a couple coolers for some pheasant hunting, to haul an appliance or lawnmower or other random large item that would never fit in a car. I could never get by without a truck, but like Cole said above, need the room up front as well. For me its either an extended cab or crew cab with the 6'6" bed. If my truck wasn't having to serve double duty, it would be a single cab and 8' bed, or actually, would be a flatbed with under bed storage for chains, toolboxes, etc. After farming when I was in high school and college with flatbed trucks, I don't think I could do it with a regular truckbed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Look on it this way. You can always put just a little stuff in a long bed that will hold a lot but you can't put a lot in a short bed.

BCR

That was kinda my problem, I treated my long bed like a chick's purse, and just stuffed it with chit I didn't need.

Now I have a short box and it makes me be more selective in the tools I haul.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by elelbean
There are obvious trade-offs between the 2. Which one do you guys prefer?

Er,

"Driving" a Pickup does not make one a "Trucker".

is there ANY objective to the post, ....other than general question.

"PayLoad" is ALWAYS a great place to start discussing trucks.

Than one gets into the meaning of that uniquely American word.

"Payload"

Yup,....

GTC

Not sure why buit I had flashbacks of post your load. Scared me for a sec. grin

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Like you guys have already said intended use makes all the difference.

Longer wheelbase equals less manueverability(sp?).

A true offroad work pickup is a regular cab longbox with a flatbed. Maybe an extended cab if your not in the trees alot.

There's a reason why ranchers like F350's(reg or maybe extended cab) and Hydrabeds.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Extended cab equal short bed. Standard cab long bed, IMO. With ratchet straps and some good tie points you can make a short bed capable of quite a bit.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have both and use the shorter one offroad and the longer one to tow/haul stuff. I can still haul in the short bed truck. It is a 2500 Dodge Quad cab.

The handiest thing I have in both trucks is the flip over bed extender. It is used more often to keep item secure towards the back of the truck (to keep from sliding forward) than it is to lengthen the bed. I thought they were a gimmick until my grand dad gave me his because he didn't haul hardly anything in his truck. Must be a generational thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6' bed regular cab , on those occasions when a 6' bed ain't enough then most likely a 8' bed ain't gonna be enough either so I use my 6'x12' trailer

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
both

all the 3/4 ton trucks I've had I went with an 8ft. bed. growing up on a farm gives you definite ideas what a pu should do.

if you can't close the gate on an 8' piece of plywood, you got something other than a working truck imo. course with the ext. cab it IS like driving a damned school bus specially in parking lots.

but I hear the guys on off road use, that's where my Taco comes in, it'll go down a path a wide azzed indian cleared out.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In these parts, a truck is a TRUCK, and so used. Two of my pickups came with beds that are 8.5 feet long - and both are almost 40 years old. None better.

Happy Truckin' !!

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
8ft bed, extended cab. Hauls it all AND is more stable towing a trailer.
Wheelbase is just important as bed length.

As asked earlier, what are you going to do with it?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I forgot that I see several people mention towing a trailer for the heavy stuff. That was the reason why I bought a long bed crew cab Ford F350 dually. The longer truck is much more stable towing heavy than my short bed Dodge.

If you small to medium, then any size bed should be fine, but if you haul heavy and bumper pull then the longer truck will keep your anxiety level lower.

My trailer weighs 12,400 lbs fully loaded and I use weight distributing bars and a sway bar. The same trailer was towed many miles behind my short bed Dodge before I bought my longer Ford. I know it isn't my trailer setup that is different, it is the truck. The Ford is much better.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I agree. I was typing and didn't see your post.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I had an F-150 regular cab 4x4 with an 8 ft bed (and topper), then went to a Tacoma 4x4 extended cab with a 6 ft bed and now have a Tacoma crew cab 4x4 with a 5 ft bed.

The F-150 long box was awesome for the rare occasion when I needed to haul a ton of stuff and rocked for long camping trips but parking it in town and buying gas (10mph) was NO FUN!!

My Tacoma extended cab with the 6ft bed was awesome off-road and in town. It was perfect for hunting but a tad tight for long camping trips and hauling and too tight for a family with kids. With the tailgate down, it could handle a half dozen 4x8 sheets of plywood with a bunch of studs but it definitely wasn't designed to be a "work truck". That being said, I drove it to/from work and around town 95% of the time and it was ideal for that (20mph).

My current Tacoma crew cab 4x4 is GREAT for hauling the family and works for short trips and/or hunting but that's about it. I would never go with a bed this short again!! crazy

If I were buying a new truck today, I'd either go with a Tacoma crew cab 4x4 with the 6 ft box or a Ford F-150 crew cab with the 6.5 ft box. Everything's a compromise but either of those two would probably be the best match for what I do.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,680
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.