Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I like my Cape guns with an extra shotgun barrel. Though I would certainly take a Cape gun.

Like the one you stole from a poor hapless old man?? whistle

grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

M
MK1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
EvilTwin,
I have not owned a German Cape Gun but have a JP Sauer drilling 16x16 2 3/4" 7x65R, 24 inch barrels with a detachable 2-7 Kahles. Mostly use it with open sights.
It is a delight to handle. My personal view with drillings is that 12g just takes away some of the responsive handling. I had a 12x12 8x60 not in the same class as the Sauer for responsive handling. One will have to check out a German Cape Gun. hopefully with 28" or less barrels.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MK1

The ones ET and I shoot have 27 1/2" barrels. They tend to be longer than the drillings, and these earlier guns had longer barrels in general.

I agree 100% about the 16ga drillings being more graceful and better handling.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another coupla views
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have been advised by a collector of guns such as this that the flip rear sight(75 meter and 150 meter leafs) is only found on rifles made to order. Special goodies apparently

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
thanks for sharing the pics I'm still looking for the right one to bring home....

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ET that Cape Gun is SWEET!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had killed half a trainload of ruffed grouse and bunnies w/ the shotgun barrel, but never managed to connect on any big game with the rifle. When my Dad gave it to me the month before he died, he told me to have fun and hunt it. Welll, I took it to Caryonah last Dec for the Campfire Pig Hunt and killed my boar with it. Put him down with one shot. Dad oughtsta be pleased wid dat!!!

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you get tired of it... whistle

wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats on the boar!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanx!!!

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ran across a cape gun at this weekend's show. They asked $1600. I ended up giving them a 12 gauge that I have $425 invested in plus $800 cash for the cape gun and 2 boxes of 38-55.

The rifle barrel is 38-55 and other side is 12 gauge. Bores are both nice and action locks up tight. Its plain jane (no engraving or inlay). Made in Belgium 1881.

BUT - the rear site and spring on the lever to break it open are missing and the stock has been carved on both sides by an amauture. I can sand the stock smooth again and they gave me a rear sight than can be made to fit. My smith can make a spring.

What do you think? Did I pay too much? Pics to follow.

Last edited by Mssgn; 03/29/10.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You paid about what the market will bear for the gun. I don't think you got hurt. In two more common chamberings, they are worth a bit more, as a rule. The 12ga and 38-55 are easy to find rounds, and that helps.

Watch the pressures?? Also, is the shotgun tube laminated or fluid steel?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's exactly what I thought on the value. Common chamberings that I alredy own but offset by the fact that it needs a little work, so right at market value.

I wouldn't know the difference in tube laminated or fluid steel (what should I look for?) but I will keep the pressures low. I'm pretty sure the 12 side is 2 1/2 inch so I'll be loading for it anyway. I'll load for the 38-55 side as well. Low pressure loads all around. I'm thinking of this as a 25 yard partridge gun and a 100 yard rifle. No need for high pressure in either side.

Last edited by Mssgn; 04/01/10.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had to take her out and shoot last night. Even without the rear site I put 2 shots from each barrel on target at 25 yards. I'm pretty pleased. A few more pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish I owned it. It is VERY Classic!! It sure looks clean, also. cool

M
MK1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
EvilTwin,l also own a Savage 24 in 20g/30-30. A good durable working gun on the ranch.Really handy and suited for safe scabbard carry on a quad or off road bile. Typically loaded are No4Buck or down to BB. Ok for close hogs or dogs. 1 oz loads are effective.Quick to get into action.Traditionally I carried a lever carbine but the Savage now gives an instant choice.By the time one stops and prepares to fire, two aimed shots are all you can get away.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It was my first day out with the Cape gun with the new rear site installed. 12 gauge side worked just dandy with low pressure 2 � inch shells. The rifle side held a surprise for me.

I had bought the piece with the understanding that the rifle barrel was 38-55. It even came with two boxes of 38-55. 38-55 cartridges chamber. Pieper made a 12 and 38-55 combo that looks just like my gun. In short, I had every reason to believe it was 38-55 except for a stamp saying so.

My first shot was with a very low pressure load. Just 6 � grains of Red Dot powder behind a 250 grain .375 projectile. The first shot did not clear the barrel.

I tapped it out with a rod and noticed that the rifling had left deep imprints from the lands. The grooves did not leave any marks on the projectile. So it was touching the lands but not filling the full bore. This is a good thing since when I put a caliper on the projectile at home (by default I had �slugged� the bore) I found that it had been reduced from .375 to .365 (actually 364.5)!

I do NOT have a 38-55. I have a rimmed, straight walled 9.xx Chambering of .365 diameter. In addition to the .365 bore I found that a loaded 38-55 cartridge is still � inch short of the rifling. Hmmm�.. What the heck is it? I don�t know yet.

The underside of the rifle barrel has numerous proof marks including �Express� but nothing to indicate the chambering. Except possibly an 8.8 stamped some distance away from all other marks.

What does 8.8 mm convert to in caliber? 364 or 365?

Could it be the old 360 Nitro Express? Does anyone have information on that cartridge (especially projectile diameter?)

Any other guesses? Advice?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like a 9.3x72, but you really need to do a chamber cast and measure things. Cerrosafe is available from Midway and Brownells. Us shadetree mechanics measure the rim and chamber head with a caliper, study the books, and try a primed case, then a primed case with a couple grains of a fast powder and some cornmeal, topped with some candle wax, tie it to a tire and measure the case. I'm only missing one finger, so take that idea for what it's worth. Measure the chamber cast. The 8.8 you see on the proof marks refers to land diameter, not groove diameter. 8.8 is the usual marking for a 9.3 bore. Proof marks on early guns are not as complete as the post 1912 guns, when German proof laws changed. If it is a 9.3x72, it is very similar in power to the 38-55. It will take a 200 grain bullet, which Hawk carries, and puts it out about 2000 fps. S&B loads new ammo for the caliber. A great hunting cartridge and pleasant to shoot.
Hope that helps,
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks I'm linking up with another poster here who has a 9.3x72R tonight and comparing specs....more to follow.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.