Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by heavywalker
I have already had a guy that know tell me that he watched the show.... He knows that I shoot a lot at long range and have killed a few animals at long range he always gives me the 3rd degree about it.....(you know one of those guys) Well today he tells me "If the best shooters in the world cannot hit the target at 400 and 600 yards there is not way you can do it."

What makes him think that he was watching the best shooters in the world? I certainly did not get that from the show.

How big do you figure the exploding target was at 600yds? Looked to me to be about the size of a paper plate.

I'd LOVE to line up the 'fire members and let them take shots at a paper plate in windy conditions. Some could hit it 2 shots, but I'm guess most of them couldn't.

If I could find a link and look at it again slowly... I'd have a good guess, the only thing I reference is the targets at 50 and 100 looked like 12 inches or so and the target would LOOK tiny at 600 if the same size, that 600 or 400 yard target did not look that small to me unless it was an optical or camera illusion... I'd be thinking on the order of at least 24 inches. I can say this that even a 24 inch target at 600 with iron sights is hard for most of the average competitors at a match to hit reliably at times.

You make a good point about the kids though... of course they probably like the hunting shows that are a joke to most too..... I still won't ever forget that one that "shot" a deer and (it had a LOUD bang too) then worked the action and NOTHING came out.... staged shot with sound edited in... I'd rather see the raw film personally....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watched some of it last night. Druther watch a melodramatic show about shooting, than The Rise of Hitler, for the umpteenth time.

Kinda felt bad for the guy that couldn't seem to find the target with the 03. Reminded me of all the chip shots I've missed on 300 yard polecats over the years. Can kill woodchucks with relative ease, but if something is black, white and stinky, can't seem to hit it. Unless I'm turkey hunting with a 12ga and they're 15 feet away.

Now mostly watch the Military Channel or History International, more than the orginal History Channel anyway.

Best show on cable, is How It's Made.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I changed it right as it started. I was interested at first, but someone that is the top shot in many things is not the top shot at anything, or so methinks.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If these guys are the best of the best, why haven't I heard of any of them before? Where is Jerry Miculek or David Tubb or Brian Enos?

I watch it for the 10 minutes of shooting and try to ignore the 'Survivor" bs for the other 50 minutes. I don't care if Kelly likes Brad. I just want to see them shoot. To be honest, I know guys that are better shots than some of these guys. I may not be, but I know guys that are.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Google J.J. Racaza......

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
IMHO, That Kid in the show would have pretty much done the same to Jerry Miculek in the long range shootoff..

I have watched Jerry shoot a scoped rifle ,trying to hit a 6" bull at 200 yards. Let's just say it was not very insprirational.

He is a much better pistol shot.

When the targets are no more than 25 yards away.

In 1991 durring the .22 pistol part of the Chevy team challenge match I saw Jerry miss a 6" steel plate SIX TIMES with a Smith 41 with a dot site mounted at 20 yards.

As the great pistol shot Bill Jordan once said- "Speed is fine- but accuracy is FINAL".

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jim62, I think you are correct. I think the kid will prevail. I can think of several shooters that can clean their clock.
Butch

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think it is an interesting show.Don`t agree these are the best of the best,but they are better than the average shot.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think it's pretty darn refreshing to see some programming that supports shooting skill, guns, and marksmanship in general.

A few years back, I never would believe a show like this would EVER be on TV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once for about 15 minutes. Did not enjoy the format at all.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I watched part of one episode, but it looked too much like one of the reality shows. Too much drama instead of focusing on the shooting.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I watch it when I can but always flip it to something else when the sissy, pissy, whiney, drama starts.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I watched it for the first time this weekend... I lasted about 10 minutes...buncha damn drama queens....never again but that won't be hard as we don't have cable or satellite. I can't stand watching any outdoor shows, be they fishing, hunting or shooting. Would rather just go out and do it myself I guess.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
While it's set up like a reality show w/ some of the silly drama that tends to come with that format, I think it's a really good thing that each week about 2 million people are watching shooters demonstrate their skills in a competition of sorts.

They are portayed as normal folks with an interest and skill in shooting, not as wacko gun nuts who should be looked at with fear and disgust. This is a good thing. I personally shoot in 3 gun competitions with one of the competitors (Iain) and he is a good shooter and generally a good guy. So regardless of the shortcomings of the show for hard core shooters, I think "Top Shot" is really positive thing for all of us.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.