Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just bought a set of Conetrol rings and bases off the classifieds here for the ultra low price of $8.

I've always liked the looks of these rings but I've never met anyone who used them.

The Conetrol website makes them look as though they are the bomb but that is to be expected I guess.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually used them what they thought of them.

For $8 if they are garbage I'm not feeling too badly.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
They are very well made and quite strong. Another nice thing is that both front and rear rings are adjustable for windage.

They also look damn good. The only big problem is they are somewhat of a PITA to put together, but not too bad if you've done it once or twice.

Many people make the mistake of over-tightening the screws in the bases that hold the rings on. This can REALLY leave ring-marks, and even crush a scope's tube.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good to know about the overtightening.

Thanks for the info JB.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
JB,
They gotta be just right (the ring screws just as you advised. Too tight and the ring base screws will crack the rings in the seating area and cause poi to go horizontal.
They do look nice and they are strong. Regular inspection in my case is something i do now after the horizontal poi issue I had several years back. The original poster got a real deal at $8.00!!

Dave

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
nsaqam- thanks for posting. I was on the verge of posting a similar question. It occured to me that everyone here seems gaga about Talley rings (beauties, no doubt) but you never hear much about Conetrol. I figured someone must buy them, they've been running the same ads for years.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
cra1948,

I used them years ago. Now I use Burris Signatures with the plastic inserts.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cra, I get a kick out of the old timey ads they've been using for decades it seems.

RT, thanks for your info. I think I'll download the instructions off the website and follow them religiously. If that proves difficult I won't hesitate to call them.

I've always wanted to try these Conetrols but could never justify the $120 minimum to get new ones.
I sent the seller $10 even though he only asked for $8 because I felt guilty. smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
There a PITA to install and square up, but once you do they look great.
I have a set on a 1946 Win-70 in 300 H&H and they havent slipped on top of some pretty stiff loads,
You got a hell of a deal, IIRC mine cost about $200 w/ S&H.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
N,
Look at the tapered area in the base of the rings real close. Use a magnifying glass of some kind. If it looks like the tapered area has been 'smeared" from overtightening look real close for a crack. If none of these issues exist you made a whale of a buy. The old guy that owned Conetrol and started it (George I am pretty sure) lost his wife several years back. He was pretty old then and am not sure he didn't sell the company. He was a great guy to talk to and was quick to point out that he made the BEST scope mounting system in the world. I think he was right.

Dave

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Good score. I don't know what they fit but I'll give you $20 for them!!

I just picked up a set that were mine previously, bought them back from a member that I sold a gun to a few years ago and he wasn't using them. One base screw was missing so I called Conetrol and they put it in the mail the same day. Nice.

Edit to add: I think that was George I talked to.

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 06/07/10.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Law,
Great news if it was George. He was telling me about his wife after she passed one day when I called and ordered a base and ring set several yars back. He is a real nice person. If memory serves me correctly they had been married well over 40 years.
Next custom I do will have a set of Conetrols on it with the Gunnur Bases.

Dave

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They are for a Remington 700!!!

They were listed for 18 minutes before I saw them.

No I'm not selling! grin

RT, I'll closely inspect the rings for any damage to the seating cone areas.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
N,
They are the slickest and cleanest looking base and ring mounting system IMO and they keep things where they belong. They are a little tough to get together right sometimes. You stole those things!

Dave

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I've had them on my go to .270 Brown Precision M70 for a long time with no problems whatsoever.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've had them on my 270 for more than ten years. Great system.
They are exactly as advertised. Strong, and very smooth.

When you call Conetrol, only George answers the phone. (If he's still there, and I sure hope he is.) And he can answer any question you have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a set on a Sako 75. Looked real nice and seemed to hold up well. But I prefer Talleys now.

Weiners are health food - My dad
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
George is still there. Or at least he was manning the booth at the Kalispell gun show a few months ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When mounted properly they are some of the most bomb proof mounts made. I think they are one of the better looking mounts so if you are of like opinion then they are the best mounts made. Just like the add says.

If you are careful about removal and re attachment they are not only repeatable but two scopes can be preset to zero and exchanged. This is with the Custom bases with a lock screw and only by adjusting one base screw when removed.

I always wanted to put side levers on a set but have used Talleys instead for that purpose.

Had a set for an 1885 Browning that didn't work out with the scope, so they custom ground them to fit my rifle at no charge.
The customer service is as good and old fashioned as the add.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have them on four of my rifles, one set for more than 30 years. I prefer them to all other brands I've tried. Mule Deer summed it all up well (but it took me more than a couple of times to get installation down!)

I prefer my scopes mounted very low. The last set I bought was a couple of years ago to replace a set of "low" Talleys on a 98 Mauser. The Conetrols set the scope much lower and allow me to get a good cheek weld. Now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with a virtually new set of Talley bases and rings.

Conetrol service has always been excellent but the current price made me try the Talleys. Now I'm out the cost of the Conetrols and the Talleys! (Story of my life -- too late smart!).

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 sets of conetrols mounted on a Remington SA and LA. They aren't really as heavy as one would think and they are the toughest and best looking system going. They have great customer service too. I just called them yesterday to buy a set of base screws because I plan to swap guns and the loctite messed up the other set and they sent them for free. I wish I could put them on all my guns, but they are expensive. You stole them for sure. They can be a PITA to mount, but it's not something you have to do everyday so I can live with that. Also I believe they run low...ie.... med conetrols are like most other companies' low etc.... Ebay is a decent place to put a set together. Look for the markings on the bottom of the ring 4 is low, 8 med, 12 high.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,914
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.