Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If your ph has worked hard and youve enjoyed his company yes,
give him a thank you at the end,don't ever give it to the outfitter to hand out ,give it to the people who deserve the little extra.
As Toby Joe put it ,he was told that the tips get given to the outfitter to hand out ,that's a nice extra tip for the outfitter cos the staff wont see it,bet ja !!!!!!

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Well I have to respectively disagree with Drew69 and having been in the hunting business for many years have a pretty clear idea of what works in most cases...

When the hunter starts handing out tips to the staff it can cause all manor of promblems as he does not know the pecking order and the staff ends up in turmoil as jealously and position become tainted..The tracker should be tipped more than the wash lady etc. or trouble in camp will brew. An honest PH knows the pecking order and hands it out in front of the hunter and a ceremony takes place thanking the hunter for his contribution to each of them, that is the tradition going back a hundred years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
Well I have to respectively disagree with Drew69 and having been in the hunting business for many years have a pretty clear idea of what works in most cases...

When the hunter starts handing out tips to the staff it can cause all manor of promblems as he does not know the pecking order and the staff ends up in turmoil as jealously and position become tainted..The tracker should be tipped more than the wash lady etc. or trouble in camp will brew. An honest PH knows the pecking order and hands it out in front of the hunter and a ceremony takes place thanking the hunter for his contribution to each of them, that is the tradition going back a hundred years.

Hey Ray, here's a tip, post up pics and you know what I'm talking about.

Here's another tip Ray, don't make BS claims when there's people out there that know and can prove that what you've said is a manufactured lie and nothing more than a pathetic attempt to book a hunt

And my final tip of the day Ray, I'll tip whoever I damn well want when I'm on a hunt. If the wash lady worked harder and did more to make my hunt a success than another member of the staff then I'll tip her as much as I want to. If the outfitter or PH has done their job then tips will be good for all of their staff. If there's a problem with that then the PH can take it up with me. I'd be much more inclined to listen to an actual PH than a booking agent that has a difficult time telling the truth

Drum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know what your issue with Ray is, but his point about the pecking order in a bush camp is accurate. You are free to tip the way you please, but you get on the plane, and the PH is left to deal with the fights and arguements while you are on your way home. Egalitarianism has not found it's way to Africa.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by atkinsonhunting

If there is that much jealousy/drama between the staff, maybe I will not leave a tip to keep things equal. Lol

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
yeah Stoney, with any luck at all you will have them all pizzed at you......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
I don't know what your issue with Ray is, but his point about the pecking order in a bush camp is accurate. You are free to tip the way you please, but you get on the plane, and the PH is left to deal with the fights and arguements while you are on your way home. Egalitarianism has not found it's way to Africa.

First of all, if a PH, or any outfit for that matter, has a quality operation with quality staff then this is a non-issue. The person that ole Ray had responded to had agreed with Toby about his experience and Ray disagreed. I would have handled it the way that Toby did and would not give a flying you know what about any inconvenience that the owner of the safari company was put in. It was obvious in reading Tobys post that the PH treated his people like crap so screw him, I'll tip whoever I want however much I want and would not hunt with that guy again.

Originally Posted by TOBYJOETRUBY

As the hunt went on, I could see how this owner, (white), treated the PHS (black). Supposedly, our PH was the first black PH in Namibia.
Over the course of 10 days, I felt like I got to know our PH pretty well. Well enough to ask him who I should tip. His exact words were this. " You can give it to the owner if you you would like, but we will only see maybe 20% of it." After seeing how this guy treated his staff, along with the PHs, I tipped each and every person myself. I didnt give him a penny. It pissed him off, but I could care less. Together we did tip our PH alot. But I thought he was worth it.

If I were hunting with a PH that was prefessional and respectful in every sense of the word and I asked his opinion I would be inclined to listen to what he says and tip accordingly. I would not take the word of a person like Ray Atkinson as he is not professional or respectful in any way shape or form.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gotta agree with Toby and Huntsonora on this one. I've been to Mexico twice on mule deer hunts, and I've tipped the guys/cooks who deserved it the most without a second thought. On the second hunt, especially, the owners got what the bird left on the fence post from me, and I didn't give it a second thought.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by hatari
Tip in Rands.

Tipping has been a hotly debated subject here, and I've had some strong views on what I think is appropriate, and what has become expected in some quarters has changed over the year to be ridicules. No need for me to rehash it unless we want open that can of worms once again.

Guess 4 posts into this the writing was on the wall..... wink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
yeah Stoney, with any luck at all you will have them all pizzed at you......
I do not have deep pockets like Central Floridians do. Be sure to leave me a few hundred under the mattress to hand out when I get there. Thanks pal.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
yep, glad to do it.......

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 338reddog, 17 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.