Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In the woods around here I commonly bring along one of these loaded with .357 Federal 180 grain solid lead flat points...

[Linked Image]

Out of that 3" barrel, with that load, I'd expect maybe a bit less than 1,000 fps.

I posted on the 'fire last week about running into this big boar hog, which didn't just run off as per usual, but stood about 20 yards out and thought about it for a bit, before moving off a short way into cover.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Weight, some where in excess of 300 pounds, maybe 400.

On another site I was taken to task for not just shooting the hog.

OK, opinions please. How many here would engage an ornery big boar like that with a snub .357 from 20 yards? Both of you standing on the ground.

The other question being, if you were going after feral hogs with a handgun, what would ya bring?

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
If offered the appropriate angle I'd given it a whack if I lived in an area they are considered vermin, and it was legal. I know they are a real problem in lots of areas. I have a fair amount of confidence in a good Heavy Hard Cast even in a 357 Mag.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well, how good are you with that particular piece? Assuming you felt you could put the bullet where you meant to that bullet should penetrate quite well. (I'm assuming a hardcast lead flat point that won't deform much if at all)

For myself when I visit my cousin (a bit NE of Austin) and we head out to the hoggy areas I've got a .44 Redhawk with 310gr hardcast loads on me.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't know about a .357 on a hog that big. At only 20 yards he could be on you pretty fast if the first bullet didn't do what you intended. I shoot a .44 mag SRH for deer and seeing what that can do I think I would have dropped the hammer on the hog. However, I have never been 20 yards, head on with a 300 to 400 pound hog. Hell, I've never even seen a wild hog.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not an experienced hog hunter, but I've seen them shot. I've been around a lot of domestic hogs too. They are very tough to put down. If I were in an area populated by them, and I am, I would want more gun. I would feel confident hunting them or defending against them with a .357, but not a wimpy one. Model 27, 5" or bigger...686, 6", Python, Trooper or the like. I'd want a top-end load too. Hard cast would be fine, but with plenty of powder behind it. Hogs can get very mean, especially if you come across a sow and some shoats. I'd want a bigger gun with hotter loads.

If I was going after hogs with a handgun I'd take my Smith and Wesson 629 Mountain Gun.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 06/10/10.
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Where would you have held on that hog at 20 yds? Thats enough gun at that distance although a bigger gun would be much preferred but shot placement would be the key here, if you could break that onside shoulder it would just be a matter of finishing the job, hit him too far back & you might need to climb a tree. Me, I would have shot him with the load you describe.

Dick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Birdwatcher,

I would have passed on the hog period due to size alone, not the tastiest. I usually hunt with a rifle, but you always end up seeing them when you are not hunting and only a pistol at hand. Here in TX, some folks treat them like rats. I find them to be amazingly resilient animals that deserve the same respect as any other game animal.

Lots of good Smith N-Frame .41 and .44 magnums out there that would make a good companion piece to your .357 that would be a much better choice. With a good shoulder or bandolier holster you would be set.

Last edited by rkamp; 06/10/10.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I personally would have shot him and been ready for a quick follow up real fast. I was in a similar situation with a big hog a few months ago so I upgraded to a Super Blackhawk in 44 mag.
[Linked Image]

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Birdwatcher I have hunted more than my fair share of hogs over the last several decades in both my home state and other places mostly down South. I myself would never venture into shooting a big hog period with a .357-mag pistol. Most who do soon learn for themselves, that the .44 mag gives much better results by far with hardcast bullets with big metplate.

I also do not hunt hogs with a smoke pole rifle or pistol anymore. Not since I damn near met my demise in a creekbed one morning. I like my Marlin lever guns in the .444 or 45/70 for such work. I have also used my model 70 Winchester .458 mag with 450 grain bullets.......works great especially on a charging big boy.

If you are going to hunt them with a pistol, just make darn sure you have a back up gun just in case things go "south" on you that day ok.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how a 10mm with 200gr flat points would work on hogs??
??

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would shoot it with that rig, assuming I could hit it.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always leave the 'shoot/no shoot' decision to the fellow that was actually there.

I take a bigger gun though, either .44 Mag or .45 Colt.

Sam......

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Get a 10mm. It's a hog blaster.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The problem with a .357 on big hogs is two-fold.

First, if you try to shoot through the shoulder or shoulder shield there is a possibility that the bullet may not penetrate to the vitals. The 180 grain flatpoint bullet is a good choice for the .357, but at best it's marginal on big tough animals.

The better option would be to wait until presented with a broadside, or better yet, slightly angled away shot to place the bullet behind the shoulder and thick grisle shield. However, even with a good shot the hog may not (probably won't) drop....but rather run some distance. The .357 will certainly kill the hog if placed in the boiler room, but it probably won't exit the far side. In that case the smallish .357" hole in one side will leave a very poor blood trail....if it leaves one at all since the skin tends to slide and cover the entry hole and fat will plug the leakage of blood. The problem isn't KILLING a hog with a .357 placed properly, but finding him after he runs out of sight.

That said, I'd have likely take the shot as carefully as possible and take my chances that he could be recovered (maybe return with a good tracking dog or friends to search the area). For dedicated hog handgun I'd certainly want more gun (.41 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, or 10mm), but you got to use what's on your hip at the time. I once killed a 300+ pound hog with a .22 LR pistol and several hogs with a .32-20 because that's what I had with me at the time.

As a side note and to answer another's question.....the 10mm with 200 grain flatpoints is VERY good on hogs. I've killed three hogs so far with my 10mm. One with a 180 grain hollowpoint (all I could get at the time) and 2 with 200 grain hard-cast flatpoints from Double Tap.

The 200 grain bullets penetrated from side to side (one through both shoulders) and messed up a bunch of hog parts in between. The 180 grain hollowpoint went in through one shoulder and stopped under the skin on the opposite side.

By the way, Double Tap offers loaded ammo that is a true full-power 10mm load (not the limp wristed FBI loads) as well as hard-cast WNFP bullets in 200 grain and 230 grain sizes. I've loaded the 200 grain to 1300 fps (which is what I used on the hogs) and the 230 grain to 1100 fps (which I have not yet been able to test on live game).

Last edited by TexasRick; 06/10/10.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I may be crazy, but I would have shot it. I've shot them with my 45 Colt mountain gun and have had no problems. I have a friend that has killed tons of hogs and carries a S&W M19 .357 to backup his DPMS .308. He's finished many off with the .357, but I know that's not the same as taking a 20-yard shot.

With the pics you presented, I'm assuming the hog was standing still long enough to get off a well-aimed shot. I'd shoot for the head with the first shot and follow up with whatever I was able until the gun was empty.

I'd much rather have my DA 45 Colt in that situation, but I don't think I'd hesitate to try it with a 357.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Broadside at 20 yds........BANG!!!!!!BANG!BANG!BANG!BANG!

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I was confident with that pistol at that range (I'd not carry it if I wasn't) I'd have definitely shot the hog.

Travis

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
would i have shot with 357 probally but 41 would be my minium chioce if given

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd of popped that SOB with a .22 Mag if I'd known I could put it where it counts.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot literally tons of hogs with a .45 ACP over the last few years.

Since I dont' retrieve any of the hogs I shoot nowdays it doesn't really matter to me. Having said that if you are not taking 50 yard shots I have found the .45 to be effective enough on hogs of all sizes.

I shoot 230 Hardball most of the time - or whatever I happen to have in the gun at the time if I'm in the truck (and that could be 230 hollowpoints, or 230 Hornady Action Pistol bullets if I've been shooting steel) and haven't noticed any difference.

Last edited by NathanL; 06/11/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 3,526 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,486
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.