Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Allen,
I was in the boat business from mid 70's to 2000. Carpenter, electronics tech, systems tech, Shipwright (real Shipwright for 100 plus foot wooden sailing vessels not a glorified carpenter), partner in a Marine Supply Chandlery outfitting cruising boats, Commissioned Beneteau sailboats for 3 years (about half went offshore). Spent quite a bit of time sailing. Only have about 100 days offshore in all those years though as I just never enjoyed it.
That's my background in boats, and I disagree with almost all of your above statements and see many negatives for anyone, especially a minor going offshore alone.

GB1

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
What are the odds of sailing a boat for 6 months and NOT running into a severe weather condition. I love my daughter to much to even think about the risks involved on this adventure. Don't beleive it is sensible when few people of any age can do it. ED

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
My guess is that most of those who believe her attempt was acceptable have never spent any time offshore. Solo across an ocean is an irresponsible act at best, even for an adult. Please explain how one person can maintain required watches solo. One equipment failure or mistake setting the alarms on your radar will get you run over and sucked through the screws of a freighter and they'll be lucky to even find enough debris to identify the boat.

Dismasted means she screwed up big time and had a 50-50 chance of being dead.

Agree completely. I don't care if you're the best sailor in the world. There's something to be said for having some help around if you need it.I don't care if she was 45 years old and the greatest sailor who ever lived. If you break an arm or leg or have a serious medical problem, you're worthless. Who's gonna sail the boat when that happens???

Even grown men try and make a point of going hunting or fishing with a buddy if they're going to be way out in the boonies. It's just a smart thing to do. Hell, I had a buddy back in school I used to go with to ride dirt bikes up on the Canadian River. One day, he decided to go without me. He managed to break his femur and was unable to walk. He was lucky that a couple happened to drive by looking for aluminum cans (this was 2-3 miles off the main road). They loaded him in the truck and had to drive a few miles to even get to a spot that had cell phone reception to call the ambulance. Then, it was a 25 mile ride to the hospital.

Her and her brother could have gone together since they're both good sailors. Doing this alone was pure vanity stuff....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have been having the same thoughts since day ONE

Her parents are idiots...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
abc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
In 1965, a young man named Robin Graham sailed out of Califoria and completed the trip in 1970, becoming at that time the youngest person to sail around the world alone. National Geographic wrote 3 articles on the trip. Robin moved to Montana in 1971 and I sought him out in 1973. There was a book written and a movie made in the 1970's. I not seem him in 6 years but I talked with his wife several months ago and all is well.

I do not think that 16 years old to young to sail the world, but to intentionally try to break a record with the trip is wrong.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Some are content to sit in the corner, blathering online, scared to face the world on their terms.

I'm sure her parents wouldn't give a second thought to online, pontificating thumbsuckers.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
abc---That quick reply wasn't directed at you.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Some are content to sit in the corner, blathering online, scared to face the world on their terms.

I'm sure her parents wouldn't give a second thought to online, pontificating thumbsuckers.

+2

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a kid, we used to run our souped-up Chevies up over 150 mph on 2 lane roads.

I don't see a whole lotta difference between sending your 16 y.o. out to sail around the world solo and sending them out to break the 2-lane public highway speeding record.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
[quote] Doing this alone was pure vanity stuff....

Yep.

IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BarryC
When I was a kid, we used to run our souped-up Chevies up over 150 mph on 2 lane roads.

I don't see a whole lotta difference between sending your 16 y.o. out to sail around the world solo and sending them out to break the 2-lane public highway speeding record.

I used to do the same thing (speeding) when I was 16, but my parents did not know of it nor would they have condoned it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somolia isn't the only place that has pirates. 2010 piracy map

(only worked for me in Internet Explorer)

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by BarryC

Well, other than Australia sending a fully fueled Airbus out a few thousand miles to search for the disabled craft & using up nearly all of it's fuel before finally doing so, who knows how many ships and other planes searching for the ill prepared, patched together ego boat and the ships heading out to do the actual rescue. Other than that, yea, nearly identical....

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by wildbill59
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

+2

If she wanted to do it and the parents have the means to cover these rescue costs, more power to her.

In a day and age when kids have to wear bicycle helmets to ride in the driveway it sounds weird, but you only live once. Might as well enjoy it an make an adventure out of it.

If I had it to do over again I'd have skipped out of college for a few years after high school and done something "crazy" like this. I encourage my kids to consider the same thing. Once you're saddled with "responsibilities" these things become far more difficult.

Good for her for taking it on, and good for her parents for allowing some adventure in an overly risk-averse day and age!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It could not have been a snap decision made by the parents or the girl who attempted the feat.

I am all for attempting what is difficult with proper planning and preparation. That is the American spirit.
Beats wasting ones brain with an X-Box or MTV [bleep].

One only needs to be ready to write the big check when the bill comes.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
On one hand I would not do it at any age. On the other hand many have done it. Can you say that someone should not hunt alone?

What about hunting alone way back in the mountains? I don't want a law for everything.

I am quite familiar with sailing and with the modern gear its easy most of the time if one is careful. Its the very bad storms that can hurt me or the boat. Same with hunting.

Overall she made it you know! She had the boat, experience and backup to make it that far and get out of it.

Select a rifle hunting cartridge that is "Enough Gun" and not one designed to just wound the enemy!
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
So if a rescue plane had gone down killing all aboard while searching for the little girl of some publicity hungry family looking for who knows what for their little girl, everything is hunky-dory?

She just wanted some recognition?

I don't understand some of you guy's!

When a person pulls a stunt like that their involving more than just themselves!

Phil

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some of lifes more enjoyable & memorable moments are inherently dangerous...sky & scuba diving, riding motorcycles, hang gliding, surfing... even off shore fishing & shooting have an element of danger...My dad was 16 when he joined the festivities during WW11...I was 17 when I joined during Vietnam...Sailing around the world in a boat like she had? If I were that age again I'd think that would be pretty frickin cool...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Greyghost
So if a rescue plane had gone down killing all aboard while searching for the little girl of some publicity hungry family looking for who knows what for their little girl, everything is hunky-dory?Phil

SAR guys know the risk when they sign up as well. Makes no sense to be SAR if there ain't no one to save....

Me

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Greyghost
She just wanted some recognition?

A segment of the American population will attempt to achieve their individual goals and will realize their dreams without seeking any recognition from others.
They are the go-getters that tend to be quite successful and contribute great things to their society.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 160user, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 15,846 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,907
Posts18,538,875
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.