Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
A gun store close by has a custom Argentine Mauser that I really like the look and feel of. I haven't a clue what it's value is. The stock is very well done in fact the barrel contacts the stock the full length and it fits so nicely there is no gap. I don't know who made the barrel as it it simply stamped 280. It's some time difficult to be objective when I want something and that's why I'm asking for opinions about this rifle. I think I can get it for around $650. Thanks, Ken [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Action alone is about $300 without any mods, safety added is prolly about $100.00, bolt handle $75, barrel fitting-etc. $400, on and on. That is a great deal. Can't see the bottom metal but it might be standard issue with a button welded on or aftermarket.

I would start reaching for the wallet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P.S. Not an expert but did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. grin

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Beautiful rifle.

You could do FAR worse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd buy it!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sactoller
I'd buy it!

You can't. You're going to Africa.

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
That's pretty much what I'm a thinking. It's amazing how the bbl channel is perfectly inletted. It's quite humbling to look at others work and realize that I'm a bricklayer among sculptors. Thanks for the replies. Ken

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
That is a better than average looking custom Mauser,
I would snatch it up for that price.

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I went and looked at it again today and I was wrong. He wants $795 for it. He did say he would give me $700 for my Kimber Classic in trade though which is a good deal IMHO. The rifle does have real nice after market bottom metal. Decisions, Decisions. Does Sunny Hill put their name on their parts? Ken

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't know about SH might be a Blackburn. If so, they are $350+. Pic would help greatly.

Why not sell your Classic here? I'm thinking it would be snatched right quick at $800.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$795 ? ?.............Hmmmmmm........ While nice, IMO it's not that nice.

If it was ME that wanted it, I would first as the seller how much ($$$) a scope like that is worth.

If the seller came up with a dollar figure of the scope's value, since it has zero value to me, I would make hime a csah-on-the-counter offer for the bareback rifle (no scope) around $500 - saying I already have a good scope for it @ home - and shut up until he decided to pick up either the rifle or the money from the counter.

You can always sell off the Kimber later.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Don't know about other places, but around here the stock is worth close to that as it's fitted to the rifle. The action is also worth a good bit as previously cited.
Even if the barrel is toast, or the bedding/barrel crown/chamber are bad, it's still a good buy. E

SST Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a real problem seeing such a cheap scope on a nice rifle. As mentioned in a previous reply, see what he thinks the scope is worth and make him an offer to buy the rifle sans scope.

Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST's Rifle Room
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom/
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by SST
I have a real problem seeing such a cheap scope on a nice rifle. As mentioned in a previous reply, see what he thinks the scope is worth and make him an offer to buy the rifle sans scope.

It took me a long time to figure out why folks always put cheap, junk scopes on a nice rifle....

After I bought a few, I figured it out. Chances are, the scope won't be sighted in. For some unknown reason, some folks think a saleable rifle is worth more with a scope on it. Most of us, as buyers, know that a $25 scope adds zero value to a good rifle. When I have those cheap POS's, I usually end up giving them away to someone for a kid's .22 rifle. smile

Edw-

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have to agree with Eremicus on this one.

The stock blank alone in that grade of walnut isn't cheap. Add some nice exterior stockwork, expert inletting, and a nice finish and that stock gets to be expensive.
The bottom metal is expensive as well.
$795 is at the upper end of what I'd pay for that rifle but I don't think I could duplicate it for less than that even with me doing the barrel work myself.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
It looks like a gunsmith student's rifle. Probably has the best components he could find and he spent a lot of time on it. That might explain the scope as well. that is something he could upgrade latter. BUY IT and ENJOY IT!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd pay an extra $50 for them to keep the Simmons. I'd buy that rifle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I would buy it in a minute at that price.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you have the money and want a .280 you could certainly do a lot worse. Don't see how you could lose any money on the deal. I'd offer $750 out the door and tell them they could keep the scope/rings/mounts if he needed to.

There is a .280 ack on a Mauser in a McMillan not nearly this well done for about the same price on gunbroker. While the McMillan is incredibly nice, I suspect it would cost a whole bunch more to have that wood stock duplicated.

Last edited by Biathlonman; 06/14/10.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
On one hand $795 is not a lot for something that you want. On the other hand that stock lacks checkering, the rifle looks heavy, the metal finish has little appeal to me, you don't know if it will shoot well, the safety is hard to reach and only two position, and the color of the stock looks off.

The bottom metal seems 1909.

The dealer may have got it cheap unless its consignment. There is a good suggestion above if you must have the rifle. Offer $495 cash sans scope.

I would not trade that for a Kimber. No way!

Select a rifle hunting cartridge that is "Enough Gun" and not one designed to just wound the enemy!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,414 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.