Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Got my 6mm Rem, a tang-safety Ruger Mod 77, new in Jun 70. Mine had the pencil whip standard barrel and never shot with any consistency. Occassional just-below-an-inch to 2"-3". Drove me nuts.
In Handloader Magazine #132, Mar-Apr 1988, a Mr. C.E. Harris did an analysis of the 6mm comparing it to the .243 Win. Mr. Harris also sometimes did technical pieces for the American Rifleman. He used 12 identical rifles (same make and model) in each caliber, 6mm and .243. He showed much better accuracy with the .243. His conclusion was the 6mm Rem chamber had a 3 degree forcing cone (leade?) compared to a 1.5 degree cone for the .243 Win,. This creates a longer cone for the .243 with a more gentle transition to the rifled bore during obturation. Mr. Harris reports making a 6mm reamer with the .243 Win forcing cone and realized a big improvement in the 6mm's accuracy.
Don't know how much of this is true, I'm just the messenger.
I had my 6mm Ruger rebarreled with a hand-lapped Shilen blank and a modified chamber reamer in Germany in 1986, Mine also has the 1.5 degree cone. Worked (and works like a champ).

Don Boyd

Don Boyd

Last edited by Don_Boyd; 06/20/10.

Model 70 Forever
HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd also agree with bcp's statement that the .244/6mm was beated out by the .243 because of the guns available.....not the strength of the round or accuracy of either.

I too was there when the .243/244 were "new". In the late 50's and early 60's a centerfire rifle was (at least in my neck of the woods) a "deer" rifle. Varmits were somebody the white hatted cowboys chased on the TV westerns.....not something you hunted. A rifle was for hunting deer.

Most shooters in that day did not handload ammo and only shot factory loads. As they came from the factory, the .243 and .244 were equally accurate.

The .308 Win. was also very new and was almost instantly accepted as a "great" round. In my area, the .243 seemed a logical step for Winchester following the .308 and benifitted from the positive reputation of it's parent round. The .244 was veiwed as Remington's attempt to "copy" the .243 even though they were introduced at almost the same time.....sort of a "me too" thing that was not very flattering to Remington.

In those days, where I hunted, bolt action rifles were fairly rare. Here it was thick woods and running deer with dogs that prevailed and faster actions were seen as the way to go. However, if one did want a bolt gun, the older, more established, "Rifleman's Rifle"....the Winchester Model 70....was far more popular than what was seen as Remington's weak attempt to compete (the much uglier 721-722). Strike one!!!

As far as "real" (non-bolt action) deer guns, the lever action was prefered. Although not common, the .243 was available in the established Savage 99......the .244 was not. Much more popular here was the also new Winchester Model 88 in .243. The .244 was not avalable in ANY lever gun......a big strike two against it.

Semi-auto rifles were concidered a good idea, but not too trusted because of reliability issues (particularly the long action....30-06....versions of the Remington 740-742). Along came the beautiful Winchester 100 which was very reliable and chambered in the .243.......the .244 was chambered in the Remington "Jam-O-Matic". Strike three!!

The .244 WAS available in the pump action Remingtom Model 760, while the .243 did not come in a pump action. This SHOULD have been an advantage, but for whatever reason, the pump action guns just weren't very popular in this area.

Accuracy was never mentioned as a reason for choosing one round over the other until several years later.....and most of that talk came from gun magazines, not personal experience. It was the RIFLES that killed the .244 in those early years.....not how it performed. This was true where I hunted at least.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yesterday evening I shot yet another Roe Buck with the 6mm using 85 gr. TSX, this time measured at 3250 fps.

It was a stalk to into 100 yards in a very fickle wind. The buck was browsing in some very steep and foliated area. Relief and foliage prohibited a knelling or laying down position.

I took the shot at about 90 yards when he stood free, broadsite - offhand, sling supported.

Roedeer are small critters, but tasty. Killzone is about 5x6 inches. Range was streching that kind of shot for me but I hit him good. Lung/Liver; just a smitchen back. One step jump an a little slide; found him 5 steps from the spot.

Conclusion:

1) I love the 6mm Rem.
2) I know the situation would have played out excalty same with a .243 Win.

BTW - my 6mm (Kermit, you know the green one) is very precice, when I do my part.

BTW II: that TSX totally over penetrated that deer.

Last edited by cmg; 06/20/10. Reason: f

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cmg
BTW II: that TSX totally over penetrated that deer.

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. grin grin

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'll admit a bias towards the 6mm Rem.

I've had some 243's and ended up selling them (still have one for sale). Currently have three 6mm Remingtons, including a 40-X.

I like the 6mm Rem enough that when I decided to build a 6mm bore "something" a few years back, I had to buy a new 6mm Rem reamer for my gunsmith, as all he had was a 243 Win reamer. Added to the overall bill, but I like it enough that I did it.

In all practicality, there's probably not a whole lot of difference in them, but it's that intangible "confidence" thing that sways me toward the 6mm Rem. Every single one that I've owned has been an outstanding shooter.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Appreciate all the input folks. Though I need it like Custer needed Indians, I've been thinking about picking up a 6mm Rem 700 Classic. Dies and brass are on sale @ Cabela's, so I think it's a sign. smile It'd be a lock if they'd bring back their free shipping promotion. grin

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had one 6mm Rem and now have a 722 in 244 Rem, both the same case, with the 6mm Rem barrel twist being 1-10" and the 722 twist of 1-12". Since I only shoot light bullets in the 6mm rifles, I never noticed any accuracy difference between the two rifles. The 6mm Rem had a Hart barrel and the rifle I had was built by Hart. I gave that rifle to one of my kids.
Maybe if I try shooting the heavier bullets in my 722, I might note some accuracy degredation due to the slow twist. But, I'm set to go with it as the 95 gn Nosler Partition is very accurate in this 722 rifle.
If one were to shoot the heaviest 6mm bullets in a 243 with a 1-10" twist, and in my 722 with the 1-12" twist, and the accuracy was great with the 243, and very bad with the 244, then attempt to sell in print that the 243 was more accurate than the 244, I'd have to call that person on their integrity being less than acceptable. It sure isn't a fair test.

Don

Last edited by DMB; 06/21/10.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have shot more rounds from the 6mm Rem than all other Cal's combined. The 6mm will shoot as good or better as any 243 depending on the bedding and barrel of each individual rifle. My present 6mm Rem has a Shilen 1&12 twist barrel and will group the Hornady 87 gr BTHP with Win 760 just under 1/2 inch. The 6mm is the first long range rifle i started with and the first round i started my handloading career with . I will always have a 6mm Rem in my safe and prefer it over the 243 and 240 Wby which i also have rifles chambered in.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I noticed someone mention having a 6mm made in a LA...is this typical? What action (LA/SA) usually come on a factory 6mm? At one time I was interested in getting a rebarreled 6mm but the interest faded cuz the .243 does everything as well...of course if I could find a factory 6mm I would probably get it and get this to be a donor rifle (and shot it some cool )

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by valad
What action (LA/SA) usually come on a factory 6mm?

All that I know of, from the factory, are on short actions.

All of my M700's and the 40-X are are short actions.

Some guys will build rifles of the 6mm Rem/257 Roberts/7x57 type stuff on a long, so that they aren't limited to a short action magazine length when they load long, heavy bullets way out. Not exactly necessary, but not unreasonable either.

All of mine are shot single action, so it's a non-issue for me. If they fit in the loading port, they work. laugh

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
DMB..,

I too have an original 722 in .244. Thus far 55gr BalTips are getting .3 inch groups and old 85gr Nosler Solid Bases are shooting around .4in - these are 3 shot groups. It also shoots Sierra 85gr SP and HP into .5in. Pretty good accuracy, I think, for a 60year old gun that wasn't treated very well before I got it.

I also have a Ruger#1 in 6mm REM and a M700 in .243. Neither shoot quite as well but both are very satisfactory. Have also loaded for several .243's belonging to friends.

So, NO there is no accuracy difference between the 6mm and the .243 other than variations one might expect between differant rifles, in my limited experience.

O

Too old to suffer fools
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I had a Rem 600 in 6mm Rem in the early 90's. It was a .5 MOA rifle with 85 Nosler Partitions and RL19. I foolishly sold it. Now that I have kids I found and bought another. It's favourite load? 85 Noslers and RL19. Shoots about the same as the last one. Some loads worse some better. Kills caribou well. Never found the .243 to be more accurate than the lovely 6.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Honestly, I think the 243/6mm controversy is just a Ford/Chevy thing. Mostly a matter of personal preference. The 6mm may just be a teeeny bit easier to work with, but that's just me.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,382
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.