Print Thread
Hop To
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Looking to load the 95 grain Ballistic tip in either a 243 or the 6mm Rem for this fall.. and practice a little this summer with it..

for those that have used it.. what have you found as far as MV for giving the best performance, without giving meat Damage?

was looking for a load out to 250 yds...

debating on an MV of 2600 fps...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If you want to avoid meat damage, shot placement has more to do with it than MV. That being said, id shoot the most accurate loads I had.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
seafire I have not used that spefic ballistic tip but here is what I have found that applies to all ballistic tips that I have used (22's 6.5's 270's 30's). It may help you out is deciding on a load.

All ballistic hunting type bullets are designed to be quick openers that is what they are made to be. Therefore if you try to overdrive or hot rod them they can "blow up", not really but I trust you know what I mean.

A moderate velocity will yield results that you want w/o the resulting hamburger mess. In 270 and 30 cal BT my experience has shown me that velocities @ 2700 to 2900 allow the bullet to work like it is supposed to. When you get above 3000 fps with these bullets things can get iffy. With the 6.5 you can squeeze out a bit more velocity but not really enough to worry about or make much of a difference. 3000 or less (within reason) is the ticket in my experience.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Im loading 95 gr BT in a 243 for deer this year,also.I plan on loading some moderate handloads in the 2950-3000 fps velocity range,and go to it.
I have used a 243,244,and 6mm to take deer,with bullets from 85 to 100 grains,and the trick to no meat damage is,as my dad used to say,"dont shoot'em in the arse,boy".
Ranges are usually short here in MN,and I think the shoulder shot wastes too much jerky.I always try for the lung shot,no wasted meat.
I think I would go for a little more velocity than 2600,but I also think it would get the job done just fine.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my .243 WSSM, they were doing 3250ish, which wasn't bad for meat damage, but I had a bullet fail to penetrate the shoulder of a mule deer buck. Buddy using the same load had a problem with whitetail buck shoulder that I finished with a .30-30

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My experience mirrors Boggy Creek's.

All conventional bullets seem to perform best in the 2600-3000 fps range. The Ballistic Tip is even more sensative to high velosity as they are basically a large hollow-point with a cute plastic tip. Push things much past 3000 and you need to look into so-called "premium" bullets.

The only problem there is that any bullet designed to perform at hyper-velosity becomes untrustworthy at speeds much under 2700-2800 fps. That's why the "solids" with alphabet names are erratic at long range or in "standard" chamberings. They were meant to be used in very fast (magnum) rounds at reasonable ranges......slow them down and you invite a situation where they may not expand properly.

The only "solution" to a wide range of impact velosities is something like the Nosler Partition which is soft enough at the front to expand at low speed, but even if driven "too fast" have a solid rear section that will penetrate even after the front half disintegrates. I personally like the A-frame which performs much like the Nosler, but doesn't shed the front half near as readily.

As to your question.....I believe a velosity of 2600 fps will suit your needs quite well. It is slow enough to not "explode" at close range and it's hollowpoint design gives a fair chance of expantion even at longer range where velosity has fallen off.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Seafire, I used the 95g Partition a lot, 43.0g+ of IMR 4350 with a Win primer.

If you don't want meat damage, then go for a neck shot or shoot 8" behnind the shoulders(not always possible).

I would not suggest a neck shot to most folks, but after all the shooting on ground squirrels that you do, shooting a deer for you is like shooting an Abrams tank.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am no engineer but I have been shooting 100gr HP with 72gr H4831 in the 3600+fps range and they have performed well to 600yrds +. Haven't tried behond that. But with any bullet placement is the way to preserve meat. I have made head shots on 75% of the deer, 2 of the 3 elk and the only bear I have taken. Four of the deer were running head shots. Know your gun and shoot it a lot you will be surprised at what you can do. Practice off hand shooting and all other positions will be easy. When I was young and there was a bounty on magpies we hunted them with a open sight model 94 30-30 and practiced on clay pigeons off hand set up at 100yrds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used the 95g BT in my 6mm Rem for several yrs. I've taken several deer with them too. Chronographed, they start out at 3250fps. At 200yds they are running around 2750fps. Brain pan and neck shots up close, out to 150-200yds......and tucked behind the shoulder at 200+yds. They have performed flawlessly and are extremely accurate in my rifle. When a BT is put in those places at those velocities, I have no worries at all.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 264wm
I have been shooting 100gr HP with 72gr H4831 in the 3600+fps range .

in what?

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am no engineer but I have been shooting 100gr HP with 72gr H4831 in the 3600+fps range and they have performed well to 600yrds +. Haven't tried behond that. But with any bullet placement is the way to preserve meat. I have made head shots on 75% of the deer, 2 of the 3 elk and the only bear I have taken. Four of the deer were running head shots. Know your gun and shoot it a lot you will be surprised at what you can do. Practice off hand shooting and all other positions will be easy. When I was young and there was a bounty on magpies we hunted them with a open sight model 94 30-30 and practiced on clay pigeons off hand set up at 100yrds.

I'm not sure if you're irresponsible or an incredible shot. Leaning towards former

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
for those that have used it.. what have you found as far as MV for giving the best performance, without giving meat Damage?

Okay, I just have to chime in here. BT and preventing meat damage don't go together in my mind. BTs will drop a deer very fast if you place the shot right, but will ruin a ton of meat and can have a long chase if not placed well.

That's why I used Partitions. Deer might run an extra 50 yards with a Partition over a BT on a shot through the breadbasket (which might make a huge difference to you in Oregon), but I've got a lot more leeway if I have to take a less than optimal shot.

Just my opinion.. hunted with 95gr Partitions in a 243 Win. for many years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by exbiologist

I'm not sure if you're irresponsible or an incredible shot. Leaning towards former

If it's true and he's not just blowing smoke, also makes me wonder how many jawless deer died slowly of starvation after his expert marksmanship failed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 6mm 95 grain Ballistic Tip was designed specifically for deer at 243 Win velocities. It has performed splendidly for me in that application.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my 264 WM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No smoke and no jawless deer all fact. Believe me they all droped in there tracks as the 100gr HP is devistating at that speed. Would you get up and run after a head shot with a 100 gr HP at 3600fps? My Lord and Savior is my hunting guide and guides my shots and provides the deer that need to be culed.

Last edited by 264wm; 07/12/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[bleep], this just get's funnier and funnier.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Back to the OP - my son and I have used the 95 gr B-Tip at 3,000 fps level and also a bit reduced, at about 2800 or so. It just flat works on modest size mulies out to 300 yards or so. Hit 'em in the lungs and there is minimal meat damage. Hit 'em in the shoulder, and well, it's a bit of a mess, but a real quick drop.

Regards, Guy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.