-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Stuff ET. I have got to get up to Fort TI someday.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Great pics Jim. I'll see if I can add to 'em when I get the camera unloaded.

We pulled into the house at about 1500 and had to pick up the dogs. Connor has been talking about "his" new friends Jim and Shane since yesterday. I had to pry that damn claw out of his hands for bed. It's currently sitting with his wooden knife and tee-ball tropy.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
probally been 25 yrs since i've been there.i would like to visit again

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grinShane and I discussed borrowing Connor to go out with us. He picks up gurls like a cashmere sweater draws lint!! grin Have ya figured out how to hook him up with Onstar yet??? grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'll put him on loan to you boys!

I don't worry about tracking him. I figure anyone who grabs him will have their fill pretty quick. They'll be taking out ads to get him back to his handler grin .

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another pic. This is a surgeon who tended to the Militia and the Rangers. Note the OLD microscope. Lenses are in box next to it
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry that I missed you folks, but the trip was a last minute thing.

Left Northern Va at 3:30AM Friday. Made it to the Saratoga Battlefield in the early afternoon. Toured there until about 6pm. Then headed up to Plattsburgh where I stayed the night. Toured Plattsburgh, site of an important War of 1812 battle in the morning and then drove down to Ft Ticonderoga. I arrived there just before the re-enactment started. After the re-enactment I toured the Fort and encampment and then headed back to Northern Va, arriving home around 4AM.

Here's a few pictures:

From the Saratoga Battlefield, the American North Redoubt. Looking east over the Hudson River towards Vermont. (The Hudson is in the trees, just past the fields.)
[Linked Image]

On the same redoubt I saw a Yellow Warbler. I couldn't coax him from behind the branch, though.
[Linked Image]

The "Boot Monument"
[Linked Image]

at the rear of the Breymann Redoubt:
[Linked Image]

And finally, of course, the monument to Timothy Murphy:
[Linked Image]

And his prey:
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
At Fort Ticonderoga, the Saturday re-enactment was a "tribute" to the generalship of Braddock and Abercrombie:

There were Brits:
[Linked Image]

Provincials:
[Linked Image]

French Regulars:
[Linked Image]

French-Canadian militia:
[Linked Image]

And Indians:
[Linked Image]

There was the final charge of the French:
[Linked Image]

And a Last Stand by the Brits:
[img]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/ckatz2003/Web_128.jpg[/img]

Afterwards, they all marched off to the encampment:
[img]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/ckatz2003/Web_162.jpg[/img]

All in all twas a fun, if brief, trip.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beautiful pics my friend. I really enjoyed them.

The flinter group was superb, btw.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Actually for me the single most awe inspiring thing I have EVER had the privilege of laying my eyes on is the Warner knapsack and the accompanying letter. I get the shivers every time I see it. I hope a bunch of Campfire guys make it to Fort Ti for either the F&I re-enactment or the Revolutionary
War re-enactment. We came from Heroes. That is our Heritage. Don't let those Heroic Men and Women down!!!!

Short explanation of the "Boot Monument" Benedict Arnold was wounded in the leg at Saratoga. He was a genuine Hero before he was a traitor. The y did not want to praise a traitor so the Boot is there because the leg was wounded in Honorable service. Very clear thinking IMHO.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 07/01/10.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I visited the fort in 1953 (as a kid). Not much has changed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well... damn....

I was locked into heading back south on my motorcycle that very day, my schedule determined by that of my brother, who rode back with me...

..else I would have been there fer sure.

Birdwatcher

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've been there 3 or 4 times during my life and I can't wait to get back there again! It is just an awe inspiring place that everyone should see if they have the chance! Great pitures gentlemen!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
There is nothing like the smell of black powder in the morning air at Fort Ti. If it doesn't make every hair on your body tingle just a bit then you ain't alive.

My wife has gone on the tour there 3 times, and swears she gets a creepy supernatural feeling/buzz in one particular room of one of the old buildings. I've seen her face when she told me about it and I have to believe her on it. She's not normally that kind of fruitcake either. It is certainly hallowed ground.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Because of my late arrival, I didn't really have a chance to spend enough time touring the Fort and checking out the exhibits. The backpack sounds pretty interesting. I walked through the sutler area, the Fort, and around it's grounds. I also wasn't able to spend any time in the area where Abercrombie assaulted Ft Carillion. I guess that means that I will have to make it back up. There is a reenactment at Lake George later in the summer, and the Revoluutionary War one in September.

The earlier picture of the French unit looks like most of the pans have ignited, but not yet the muskets.

Here's a few more pictures from the re-enactment:

The "Thin Red Line":

[Linked Image]

In this one you can see the British line is being flanked:

[Linked Image]

Another shot of the French line, with some of the muskets discharging:

[Linked Image]

Interesting shot of the British line. The pan going off is just a few feet from the faces of the firer and his neighbors. No wonder why there were so few hits during a battle. (3% of all shots fired by veteran European troops in close combat. Iirc. In the 1848 Mexican War, some veteran US troops made it up to 6%. Iirc.)

[Linked Image]

Regarding warpaint, the various posters were right on, even if that was not their intent. smile

From the Re-enactment rules:

"Participants whose portrayal requires that they wear body paint should be considerate of other
reenactors and visitors who do not want to get paint stains on their clothing and hands. Please
wipe off as much of the paint as possible before using the Fort�s showers and remove any
residual paint left on the Fort�s chairs and benches."

And regarding wearing of the kilts. (At least by the re-enactors, not tourists):

"Scottish portrayals are restricted to the Highland units that served with the British Army in North
America during the periods 1755-1764 and 1775-1783.
� Civilians may NOT wear Scottish Highland dress
� Jacobite clothing or insignias of any kind are specifically prohibited"

Finally, Ft Ticonderoga was privately owned at one point and there was a Vacation Resort built between the Fort and Lake Champlain. On the frontyard of the hotel were these signs. Certainly the incident happened within a few miles, though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Chuck

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (160user, 257 mag, 2UP, 37L1, 35, 23 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.