Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Scenarshooter,

Packing out the next day...you just have to be there to really appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The backdrop caught my eye. These photos are from the West side of Tazlina Lake and Glacier, right? It's now a L.E. draw area - DS 190. Looks like you went up Klanelneechena Cr. There are a couple of small teardrop lakes on the south side.

I'll be hunting on the other side in less than two weeks. Just need to lose another 5-10 pounds and am starting to increase my training intensity.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Muskegman,

Yep, and Ed T. was my guide...you probably know him, outfitter was Dan Montgomery.

Last edited by BuzzH; 06/30/10.
V
V
I decided to buy on over the counter 300 district tag in MT this year hopefully in a couple months ill be adding to this thread!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I'd also look at the Northwest Territories for Dall Sheep.

For a chance at a "rocky" you will need to start applying for as many permits in as many states as you can each year, build your points and keep your fingers crossed.

[Linked Image]

My first Dall Sheep hunt(NWT)from 1986. My best friend was along and we connected on these two rams out of the same bunch of eight rams on the count of three from about 150 yards. We were seven miles from camp and ended up spending the night on the mountain hudled around a fire until dawn. Memories of that hunt remain crystal clear after almost 24 years...

Great pic of you and Wild Bill, Sako/Swift and a 700/22-250 right?

Friend called today, he drew a sheep tag in 482 the lucky bugger...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, and Ed T. was my guide...you probably know him, outfitter was Dan Montgomery.

No, it's my first time in that area. Actually, it's my first sheep hunt. Never used a guide and I'm going in self-guided with a hunting buddy. Did talk to a 24HCF member who guided my unit for 15 years prior to becoming a draw. There's only 2 NR/guided tags now for the side you hunted.

I applied on both sides of Tazlina Lake/Glacier. The west side was a 2% draw and low tags and east side is a bigger area, 4x as many tags and an 8% draw. I'm a friggin' map-o-holic. Been studying the area since I found out I drew a tag in April. You said your sheep (BTW - nice job) was from the Chugach. Didn't even need Google Earth to figure out were you were.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've killed several Dall Rams- the first on a solo 20 mile back-in backpack hunt. The second with my girlfriend along- She took hers on our honeymoon the following year - all same place. Last year we attempted a repeat- with our mid-20s younger son along, but the weather, and some other circumstances (but not age! smile ) beat us down before we could get into the sheep country.

It ain't what it used to be. Originally, this was a walk-in only area, no pack animals allowed, and 30 years ago, we were all alone back there...

Last year, there were two parties of walkers, and a horse-pack guided hunter ahead of us.... all of them successful, dammit....

We killed a young bull caribou on the way back out from our aborted hunt and stalked two other very good bulls after that on the last afternoon of caribou season before F&G closed it down by emergency order, after only 3 days. Quota exceeded!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vander34
I decided to buy on over the counter 300 district tag in MT this year hopefully in a couple months ill be adding to this thread!

So there are OTC tags available?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Kind of.
There's unlimited draw quota units.
So it's guaranteed, but you still need to apply.

A friend of mine told me the other day the story of his dad whacking a 180 ram in the unlimited unit he grew up in. Died less than a mile from their house.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Be careful about those unlimited otc big horn permits in Montana. The country is rugged which is doable but you are going to be competing with insiders and locals who know the country extremely well. I have heard that there are some Amish boys who are pretty much making a couple of the unlimited areas into monopolies as the units close after they get their rams.

It is something that you can do if you have lots of time and could spend two weeks scouting before season and pack in there a week before season to get settled and the rams settled before the opening.

Nonresident has about 1500 dollars worth of tags and licenses before you could get started.

Big Rams and Big ram hunters II by Jim Anderson has a whole section on this hunt and you can worm out other information online.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pictures and stories guys cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If they're still available in ten years that unlimited tag might be just what I need. Taking a month off work would be easier on me than spending a ton of money. For only $3000 / trip I could make it several years in a row too.

Plus in ten years I'll have 17 and 16 year old sons who would make fine Sherpas.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

I used up my lifetime allotment of luck when I drew a NM Pecos wilderness hunt the first time I put in for it. It was the most rewarding hunt I have ever been on. My ram wasn't nearly as big as the boys that have been posted on here but I had a great time scouting and hunting up there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
With a hunt like that I'd consider any ram a trophy. The experience of one of these hunts would be amazing, regardless of the outcome.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is that a desert or a rocky mlaux?
Real pretty sheep either way...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Scenarshooter,

Packing out the next day...you just have to be there to really appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The backdrop caught my eye. These photos are from the West side of Tazlina Lake and Glacier, right? It's now a L.E. draw area - DS 190. Looks like you went up Klanelneechena Cr. There are a couple of small teardrop lakes on the south side.

I'll be hunting on the other side in less than two weeks. Just need to lose another 5-10 pounds and am starting to increase my training intensity.

I hope your not hunting there for sheep in 2 weeks, the season doesn't open until August 10th. Not trying to be a dick but DS190 is not in the Tazlina, that's the Carpenter/Wolverine Creek area near the Matanuska and in the Chugach Mountains. Maybe your thinking of DS160?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I've killed several Dall Rams- the first on a solo 20 mile back-in backpack hunt. The second with my girlfriend along- She took hers on our honeymoon the following year - all same place. Last year we attempted a repeat- with our mid-20s younger son along, but the weather, and some other circumstances (but not age! smile ) beat us down before we could get into the sheep country.

It ain't what it used to be. Originally, this was a walk-in only area, no pack animals allowed, and 30 years ago, we were all alone back there...

Last year, there were two parties of walkers, and a horse-pack guided hunter ahead of us.... all of them successful, dammit....

We killed a young bull caribou on the way back out from our aborted hunt and stalked two other very good bulls after that on the last afternoon of caribou season before F&G closed it down by emergency order, after only 3 days. Quota exceeded!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sounds like the DCUA, I hunted there last year during the second half of the season for 2 weeks and took a smallish dall ram and a decent 47" moose. Would like to hunt there for caribou but that's a long ways to go for a caribou on foot.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by rl11
Is that a desert or a rocky mlaux?
Real pretty sheep either way...

It's a Rocky.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is my 2009 Brooks Range Dall. We packed (hiked) in 9 miles to to where we set up a spike camp. I harvested mine on the 4th day of hunting. The day I harvested mine, we gained 4600' of elevation less than a mile from camp. That is where the term "sucking air" comes from. grin

Sheep hunting changes you. There is nothing else like it.
[Linked Image]

I hope you can find a way to do it before a 10 year wait.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukonal
This is my 2009 Brooks Range Dall. We packed (hiked) in 9 miles to to where we set up a spike camp. I harvested mine on the 4th day of hunting. The day I harvested mine, we gained 4600' of elevation less than a mile from camp. That is where the term "sucking air" comes from. grin

Sheep hunting changes you. There is nothing else like it.
[Linked Image]

I hope you can find a way to do it before a 10 year wait.

Gorgeous Dall and incredible photo!

Drum

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hope to do it sooner too Yukonal. That's an awesome pic. Good sheep, rifle, happy hunter, and giant mountains in the background.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 07/01/10. Reason: Too, not to

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,306
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.