Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
"I and my friend, Larry Brady, completed an 8-day caribou hunt with Alaska Bush Adventures from the 17th to 24th of August 2006. We both enjoyed our trip immensely in spite of the extremely inclement weather - the rivers in the area were completely flooded well over their banks - and the fact that we didn't shoot any caribou.

The campsite on the S. Fork of the Hoholitna River was nearly under water when we first arrived and the water continued to rise during our first couple days in camp until it was over 1.5 feet deep in the mess tent and the sleeping tents all had water in them. As you can imagine, the flooded rivers also made hunting more difficult than normal. As I mentioned previously, neither of us bagged any game. The entire "take" for the trip was one Grayling I caught from the river bank our last morning in camp.

Many might consider our trip a disaster at best and a nightmare at worst. But in spite of the conditions and the failure to bag a caribou, I can rarely ever remember spending a more pleasurable week afield. I have traveled the world, but have some of my fondest memories of that week in Alaska. The scenery was simply breathtaking and we saw a host of wildlife to include moose, 6 grizzly bears, eagles, ground squirrels, ptarmigan and literally hundreds of caribou. However, the main enjoyment of the trip was the spirit in which all three of us; myself, my friend and our guide Ryan Krank, managed to not only endure the hardships, but enjoy the wilderness, Mother Nature's twists and the camaraderie we shared.

Whenever you undertake to hunt in wild places you must expect that regardless of the skill of those involved or the degree of preparations taken - things will not always go as planned and there will be challenges. Things happen that are beyond anyone's control. It is how well the people involved handle those challenges that determine the quality off the experience - and we enjoyed a quality experience. Our guide worked tirelessly on our behalf, whether it was making a hot meal after a hard day of hunting or repairing/maintaining the Argo ATV or showing us game. I couldn't have asked for more - other than perhaps better weather.

Although my schedule rarely permits long trips for pleasure, I look forward to my next opportunity to once again book a hunting trip with Alaska Bush Adventures."

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ok, I'll do you if you quite with this [bleep].

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
A
Not sure what steelhead is saying but I also went hunting with ABA and this is what I sent them. They are really a terrific outfitter out of Alaska.

I just want to write you and say thanks again for a wonderful experience for both me and my son Adam. I now hunted with you and Alaska Bush Adventures in 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2009. In 2005 I got a nice Caribou and a 64 1/2" Boone and Crocket moose. The moose is world class and I proudly display it at Sportman's Warehouse in Albuquerque right above the customer service counter. Everyone in Albuquerque admires it. In 2006 Adam got a nice Caribou and had an excellent hunt and stalk. In 2008, we went on an "adventure" up Wolf Creek off the Hoholitna and my son killed a 58" Moose that we proudly display above the fireplace at our lake house in Texas. With each moose, I had over 450 pounds of meat processed in Anchorage and shipped to my door via FedEx. Last year we did the flyout from the Chukawon camp and killed a very nice black bear. I am writing to you because the bonding experience you and Alaska Bush Adventures provided to both me and my son is fabulous and neither one of us will ever forget it.

I do have to say that if anyone else is considering a hunt with ABA, they should realize several very important things. First, it ain't the Ritz Carlton or the Hilton. You are in a very remote part of Alaska where everything has to be flown in. This in itself creates significant limitations on what you can and cannot have. The camps are comfortable, the equipment and the food is acceptable. The fresh caught Silver Salmon is plentiful and wonderful. The guides, Les, Ryan, James and Roy are all very knowledgeable and experienced and work very hard to get you to the animals and shots at them. Weather can be (and usually is) a major factor and beyond the control of anyone. I recall in 2005 we had the remnants of a typhoon blow in from the Asian coast. The river rose three feet overnight and we were in camp for three solid days, however, I still got my moose. The most important thing to stress is the physical requirements of the hunt. I continue to underestimate this every year I have hunted with you. Last year we hiked for hours on the fly out trip and got to a point where we were facing a very significant up hill climb. Les, looked at me and said in his past experience only 30% of the guys would make the climb. I was exhausted and told him that I was not in that 30%, but my son and Les made the climb and got a shot at a black bear. The lesson here is if you want to be successful you have to be in excellent shape and please don't let others underestimate this.

Les, I want others to know that I never met you before I hunted with you in 2005, however, over time we have become good friends. I, like everyone else, initially found you on the internet and took a chance. As it turns out, it was a good decision because I have been back three more time and I have more hunts planned with you in the future.

I am sure that you get a lot of guys that expect the sun, the stars and the moon and walk away disappointed. I am not one of those. I feel that you treat everyone right and I have no reservations in recommending you to other prospective hunters with the only caveat to then hunters being - GET IN SHAPE!!!!!

Jeff Jesionowski

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I mean that someone needs to be rogered roundly

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's gotta be the same IP address.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Disingenuous comes to mind...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ARGO ATV -They still make them?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, from what i recall I was just looking at the argos while trying to decide what ATV... I mean you couldn't go wrong with something that can do water.... luckily I heard a few stories and decided they might not be worth the risk.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Seems like a fair review, but I just didn't know the Hoholitna ran all the way down to Arizona.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same IP address. smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Who woulda guessed

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
HUGH KRANK......nice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IIRC ABA is under investigation by the State of Alaska.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The ABA website has the testimonals posted exactly as written here...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
abc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
There is nothing but bad things about this guide service on other forums. Check out Pristine Adventures, buy a trip report from The Hunting Report, due your research.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 378Canuck

Don't know but I rode in one a couple years ago in SC on a pig hunt and I'd rather be waterboarded again than do that again.

I suspect the 1/10 scale one my GI Joe had has a kid made him eligible for a medical retirement from back injuries. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Rick-Bin
Same IP address. smile

Nothing gets by you- except maybe the Courageous Captain Chloroform's Kodiak Cougars. smile

Some of us haven't forgotten- now that was a classic hunt/yarn -it should be republished - right here - in reprise to this farce... I know nothing about ABA- but this is just a bit too saccharine).

I'd certainly enjoy it again much over this smarvy crap.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by 378Canuck

never i never do a trip with that ... mechanics is the worst i ve seen and dont tell they float well lol ....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An Alaska BUSH Company Adventure is the only one that I can fully endorse. grin

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
An Alaska BUSH Company Adventure is the only one that I can fully endorse. grin

Got stock in pharmaceuticals, do you? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,830
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.