-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here are my sheep I was 45 on the Dall and 48 on the Stone. Both hunts were flat out ball bustin endurance tests. I'm 53 now and not sure I have another one in me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to see two fantastic bighorn hunts, there will be one on Outdoor Channel this week - Montana hunt in the Missouri River Breaks. Scenarshooter is very familiar with that hunt.

Another will air the following week. A Colorado bighorn on the Georgetown Unit.

Both are non-guided on public land. If those episodes don't raise the temp of your sheep fever, you are probably immune from such disease.

A couple pics of the rams taken on each episode.

Montana Ram
[Linked Image]

Colorado Ram
[Linked Image]

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bigfin,

Which programs will they air on?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rugernut
Bigfin,

On Your Own Adventures - Outdoor Channel.

Last edited by BigFin; 07/07/10.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Johnny, if you don't have the tag yet i'd call F&G and talk to them. I drew a brown bear tag a few years back and they never sent me the tag until I called and asked them about it. You should have received it by now i'm thinking.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice Bighorns. Thanks for sharing. The montana ram must have been short on rock hard enough to rub off his lamb tips.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BigFin
Bigfin,

Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Nice Bighorns. Thanks for sharing. The montana ram must have been short on rock hard enough to rub off his lamb tips.

We found this broomed off warrior in the same drainage as the flaring ram with lamb tips was killed.....199 B&C. Evidently wounded and not recovered..

Check out Randys show...its top notch!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by scenarshooter; 07/07/10.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bigfin,

Thanks.

Bigfin,

I just watched the Montana Bighorn hunt, and it was great. To bad "Tank" was poached. I enjoy the show each week. I also do all DIY hunts, except for my Dall in AK, where I'm a non-res.

Keep up the good work.

Kennon

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Rugernut, glad you liked it. Today is the last airing of the MT bighorn, until it repeats again in late September and early December. Starting Wednesday will be the CO bighorn hunt. Two straight weeks of bighorn hunts to help with those of us carrying the disease.

The picture posted by Scenarshooter is him holding "Tank." He was as disappointed as I was when I climbed out of the Breaks and told him the bad news. Scenar was the first guy I met up with and we discussed how to tell Vaughn, knowing he would be sick about this. If I didn't have it on camera and video, I suspect all would have thought I had lost my marbles.

We decided to not tell Vaughn until the cameras were rolling on him, as there is no way to recreate the level of shock that he was going to have. What you saw in the show is how it really happened for Vaughn. And to think he passed that ram three times the week before, while looking for one that was possibly a slightly bigger ram. That is discipline....... or insanity, depending upon how you look at it.

Bad deal, no doubt. I think Scenar came up with 199 6/8 on that ram as he measured it where it died, while waiting for the FWP wardens. Would have been nice to see Tank adorned with the tag of a lucky hunter, rather than become property of FWP.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dang, that is heart breaking!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Starting Wednesday will be the CO bighorn hunt. Two straight weeks of bighorn hunts to help with those of us carrying the disease.

Can't wait to see this episode. A friend of mine photographed a ram that looks very similar to this one from the blacktop, when he went back the next day there were birds on a gutpile.

He showed me the pic on the Colorado Bighorn Society website months ago and said at the time that he really thought is was the same ram, hopefully he can watch the episode and figure it out.

S32 is a damn fun unit to hunt sheep in! Some gorgeous country for sure

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A real shame what happened to "Tank"

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Can't wait to see this episode. A friend of mine photographed a ram that looks very similar to this one from the blacktop, when he went back the next day there were birds on a gutpile.

He showed me the pic on the Colorado Bighorn Society website months ago and said at the time that he really thought is was the same ram, hopefully he can watch the episode and figure it out.

S32 is a damn fun unit to hunt sheep in! Some gorgeous country for sure

Gorgeous country, no doubt. I suspect this ram was not the one your buddy might have taken pictures of, unless they were at a much lower elevation and further south, the day your buddy took pics.

This was in the northern end of the unit, opposite from Georgetown. Most the people I talked to said you could see rams right from the highway near Georgetown. I don't think that area is open to hunting though, is it?

Not sure how much rams travel, but if you can tell me where your buddy took the pics, I can verify how close or far away it was. Also, this ram is more broomed on the driver's side. I can send you some photos of the other side, and you can compare.

And if you or your buddy draw, I will gladly share all I learned in a week of chasing sheep on that unit. The population must be excellent in that unit, given how many different bands of sheep we saw while scouting and hunting. Looks like CO DOW is doing a great job.

Big thanks to the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society for all their great work in CO. Same for the Wild Sheep Foundation. I hope these episodes cause more people to join those great organizations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure exactly where he took the pics but I'm pretty sure it was between Empire and Berthoud Pass.

I actually guided an archery sheep hunt in S32 last year but would never be against comparing notes as it's huge country.

The area around Georgetown does have a ton of sheep you can see from I-70, the law states that the unit is closed 1/4 mile off of the highways, I have gotten different answers of the exact definition. Some say if you can range the highway from the sheep and your 1/4 mile away then your good, others claim it's a horizontal distance of 1/4 mile but I have to question that as a lot of the really good sheep hunting is within a 1/4 mile but could never be seen from the road because of the vertical climb to get there. Some of the big chutes on Silver Plume are within 1/4 mile and I couldn't imagine that being a closed part of the unit.

Where I spent the vast majority of my time was well off the highway just to avoid any grey areas

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Bigfin,

Thanks.

Bigfin,

I just watched the Montana Bighorn hunt, and it was great. To bad "Tank" was poached. I enjoy the show each week. I also do all DIY hunts, except for my Dall in AK, where I'm a non-res.

Keep up the good work.

Kennon

I saw it too. I like that On Your Own Adventures anyway, and I particularly liked that episode. Thanks for the heads up guys......and great pics.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw this post and thought I'd dig out some of the old pics. I found that I am missing two albums from my move 5 years ago! Got to be in a box somewhere?@?@
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Got a little spot that when the snow gets deep I know we can find a ram or two...

Last edited by ovishunter; 07/14/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bill's sheep had a 41 inch right and 32 inch left. Netted 184, just a neat old warrior.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dan's sheep, just a classic ram for Montana, love these sheep.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 257bobber, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.