Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Will I need a CNC lathe for this ?

Naaaahhh...

Get a tool from Sinclair Inc.

Which one?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Poor nitis will never ask another question after seeing how this post blew apart.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am sorry for my part on it. Maybe I should have started a new thread.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
To the original poster--

I mostly hunt deer with a Leupie 4x. I live in about as wide open of country as you're going to find in the USA.

It is no problem to pop a deer out to 400 yards on 4x (that's like shooting with no magnification at 100 yards). I shot a nice buck two years ago across a pasture coulee at about 435 yards with that 4x. But then again, I don't shoot dinks and don't need to use my scope to figure out if they're "big enough."

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
To the original question at hand..."how much do you need?" Here's my take for what it's worth...

I was hunting javelina a few years ago when I topped a rocky point and a long ways away I spotted a domestic cow feeding up this slow rise. First thing that came to mind is that was further than I would ever shoot. I didn't have a range finder at the time, but I know this area and an educated guess would put the critter somewhere close to 600 yards. For the heck of it, I emptied my rifle, took a rest on a rock and threw my Leupold 2x7 on him. Now I could not see a lot of detail on that animal, but I had no problem holding on vitals at that distance. I know a cow is bigger than a deer, but after that day I was convinced that if 7x can do the trick on that cow at around 600 yards, I need no more for a deer out to maybe 500 yards.

To share another story, I was with a friend this past September hunting pronghorn. We spent the better part of a couple hours glassing this one buck from about 650 yards out. Once the buck go as close as 550 lasered yards, my buddy decided he wasn't the one. Again, for the heck of it he emptied his rifle and handed it to me. I cranked his big variable down to 6x and again, I could not see great detail, but I could hold vitals just fine. Of course holding vitals at that distance would just kick up dirt in front of the animal, but that day really convinced me that the 2.5x8, the straight 6x, and event the 1-4x in my rack are all plenty for any shot I will be taking.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
After reading all the posts the answer should be clear; you need as much magnification as you want.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
After reading all the posts the answer should be clear; you need as much magnification as you want.

Sums it up pretty well I think because we are all different in what we want or need to "see".

I've killed deer,antelope, and elk(more than once each)at 400-500 yards with a 4X and this did not make it ideal for the job but was what I had at the time....on those days it was enough. smile

The answer to the question is easily resolved, as are many such questions posted on here....get out and shoot the rifle and find out for yourself.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
MAGNUMDUDE and BobinNH,

You boys are NOT playing this game correctly. Take a lesson from me and get emotional.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
MAGNUMDUDE and BobinNH,

You boys are NOT playing this game correctly. Take a lesson from me and get emotional.

Ringman: I saw the neatest W. German Mark V 257 Weatherby yesterday.....now this is a cartridge that usually does not ring my bell but this thing was just too cool....it was mint with great wood and a buddy beat me to it. frown

I told him he has GOT to hang the biggest damn scope in the universe on it and I would take it to Wyoming for him and blow some coyotes in two....just to test it of course grin

Is that emotional enough? laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I find I cannot shoot paper as well with the scope set to 2-3X but I find I always hunt with the scope on 2-3X. A 2.5 x 25 x 40 that weights 12 ounces sounds about right..

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ringman
MAGNUMDUDE and BobinNH,

What the hell is this???????

Cordial, logical,self-deprecating, with an injection of humor.....ON THE OPTICS FORUM!!! shocked

A guy can't count on anything anymore around here...... wink

SHEESH!!!

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ingwe: Shocking! shocked

Who the hell injected civility into this thread! Who is responsible!We need to get to the bottom of this and I call for a special committee to investigate....We need a Poobah(Czar) of Proper Internet Behaviour appointed! smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We really haven't had a good name calling fight on the optics forum in a while, what's up with that I wonder? Maybe less whiskey and more Prozac?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm not sure about civility but Bob you need a 56mm Barska on the 257 Mark V. If you're going to screw it up please do it right grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Marc:Yeah,something really BIG...living room-sized glass.... grin

I loved this rifle, though...notwithstanding my conservative taste blush this rifle was a grabber;real handsome, great trigger,and just overall "nice"! I could just imagine lining up on some hapless, unsuspecting critter several football fields away,espying through big bright optics(sigh).

I tried insulting and berating my buddy for beating me to it, in hopes he would cave to the verbal onslaught and let me have it....all to no avail....I left, mumbling,slinking out the door,tail between my legs like a whipped cur.... mad

grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting opinions and yes, it's probably a good thing we all don't agree on EVERYTHING.

I don't carry binos, never have.

Even IF I had binos with me they would be used to LOCATE deer with their wider view, studying the shot, the animal and what is beyond the animal has been and always will be RIGHT before the shot and THROUGH my scope.

Yep, still old, and I NEED MORE POWER to see things these days and believe strongly in "having it and not needing it rather than needing it and not having it".

My "deer gun" this fall wears a 6-21x44 scope, only because I couldnt AFFORD the Bushnell 4.5-30x50.

That said I do NOT do as one guy hunting next to my good friend on the next property and use the SCOPE to watch my buddy to see what he is doing....arghhh! He actually TOLD US about watching my friend put up a stand through is scope.

Following conversation twas not something repeatable.

God Bless
Steve

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
BobinNH,.

Occationally I get to thinking that I am at least average inteligence. Then I do something stupid. I, like you, was oggling a .257 Weatherby right after another fellow put his eyes on it. He asked,
"What do you think?"
Like a dumby I said,
"If you don't buy it I'm gonna."
Immedately he pulled out his money.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
2x7 is all you need. Image too shaky in hunting situations at high power. If I can't get close enough with a fixed 4x, I won't take the shot.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 73 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,629
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.