Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I did a stupid clumsy thing today, while preparing to bed the stock on my new M70 Extreme Weather 3006 I fumbled and let the barreled action slip out of my hands and it thumped on the work bench impacting dead on the trigger. The trigger broke at the junction where it narrows down right at the base of the action. No bending just a break. I will call Winchester first thing in the morning as see what can be done. The point here is that this seems pretty fragile to me. Normally there is very little force on a trigger, but an impact can magnify it many times I know. This is in a stainless action but the trigger is magnetic. Again I would have thought stainless would be series 300 on this application. Or maybe aluminum. The break is very course so looks like cast iron or maybe cast 400 series stainless. What are triggers normally made of and does anyone make a after market replacement yet for this application? Appreciate any insight on this... Phil

HR IC

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Phil, I believe i've heard that Timney is working on a replacement trigger for the new Mod. 70's. Don't know if they are available yet, but it might be worth contacting them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Post back when you hear from Winchester.. I'm curious if they'll replace it gratis or if it will cost ya.. If you have to pay, I'd appreciate an indication of what they intend to charge you for that trigger..

Curious minds wanna know.. laugh

Originally Posted by gwindrider1
Phil, I believe i've heard that Timney is working on a replacement trigger for the new Mod. 70's. Don't know if they are available yet, but it might be worth contacting them.
Hmmm.. But I thought this new WOWZA trigger was the absolute cat's meow.. heheheee... (just pokin' some fun at Winnie here... )

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Redneck, I did contact Winchester, they want me to send the whole gun in, not just the trigger. As you know only 2 pins and the trigger group drops in your hand. Turns out I have another new M70 Sporter Model that I got from a friend who won it in raffle. Have already swapped out the trigger. Trying to get ready for a trip to Africa in August so need this rifle to operate now. Point is I do not know how much if any Winchester will charge me till I send it in. If I can get a after market replacement will opt for that at this point. Saves a lot of mailing back and forth. I had to modify this trigger with a spring from Ernie the Gunsmith to get the pull down to a little over 3 lbs. It did work fine with the mod and now have it shooting 1 inch groups with 168TTSX bullets and H4350. Still a puzzle on what material this trigger is made from. Winchester said stainless but if so has to be cast stainless since the end grain in the break is very course. Phil

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by seamount
Redneck, I did contact Winchester, they want me to send the whole gun in, not just the trigger.
That's SOP..
As you know only 2 pins and the trigger group drops in your hand.
Yup.. But Winnie will never let a new trigger unit go out to anyone..
Turns out I have another new M70 Sporter Model that I got from a friend who won it in raffle. Have already swapped out the trigger. Trying to get ready for a trip to Africa in August so need this rifle to operate now. Point is I do not know how much if any Winchester will charge me till I send it in. If I can get a after market replacement will opt for that at this point. Saves a lot of mailing back and forth. I had to modify this trigger with a spring from Ernie the Gunsmith to get the pull down to a little over 3 lbs. It did work fine with the mod and now have it shooting 1 inch groups with 168TTSX bullets and H4350. Still a puzzle on what material this trigger is made from. Winchester said stainless but if so has to be cast stainless since the end grain in the break is very course. Phil
Good luck on the hunt, but keep us updated on the repair when you finally get it sent in.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Redneck, Ok will tell the final story when it happens. My first choice however will be Timney or some other to avoid the send it in hassle. Thanks for your information and feedback... Phil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.