Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great post. This really does need to receive "sticky" status.

HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1...Agreed!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very, very nice!

Learn something new everyday. That's why I keep coming back here.

Thanks!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by boomhand
How well does Krylon hold up to the abuse of a hunt in rough terrain?

I beat the heck out of my Krylon home painted Basner on my 35 Whelen on a 2 week northern BC horsebak hunt a couple of years ago. Top coat (three actually) is satin clear. It whacked trees and brush all of the time while in the scabbard. I got home and what looked like scuffs were actually sap, bark and the like. Gently wiped it all off with a rag and a touch of Goof Off and it looked like new. I was impressed.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great info here, thanks for taking the time to make this thread.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This thread is right on time. I have a take-off Winchester EW stock on its way to me now I'll be putting under a Classic Sporter barreled action. What prep should be done to the stock to web and seal over the black factory paint? Acetone wipe? Also, what webbing color do you guys like on a black stock as a second to gray or silver? Great informative post. Thanks.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yukonal - that is one terrific job. You are so right on prep. I just finished a quick one for a friend and was overanxious to get started. I didn't get the polished final product I wanted. I have done for other friends I was a lot more proud of so that sort of bummed me. It looks worse to me than to him -he was thrilled but I think mostly just because as a good friend I had a stamp on it and shared in the experience of his first rifle. That type thing. told him we can always redo it. this is just HS camo paint and one or two krylon colors with a clear overspray to help protect.
[Linked Image]

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a 700 ADL stock I painted without the special string paint. You spray a heavy dose of pant on the end of a paint stir and sling it on the stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tedthorn; 09/21/10.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shootem
This thread is right on time. I have a take-off Winchester EW stock on its way to me now I'll be putting under a Classic Sporter barreled action. What prep should be done to the stock to web and seal over the black factory paint? Acetone wipe? Also, what webbing color do you guys like on a black stock as a second to gray or silver? Great informative post. Thanks.

Yep, a good cleaning with thinner or acetone will work. Web, and seal to keep the webbing on the stock.

Silver seems to be popular on a black stock.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Yukonal - that is one terrific job. You are so right on prep. I just finished a quick one for a friend and was overanxious to get started. I didn't get the polished final product I wanted. I have done for other friends I was a lot more proud of so that sort of bummed me. It looks worse to me than to him -he was thrilled but I think mostly just because as a good friend I had a stamp on it and shared in the experience of his first rifle. That type thing. told him we can always redo it. this is just HS camo paint and one or two krylon colors with a clear overspray to help protect.
[Linked Image]

I really like it. Great job on contrasting the colors!

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
GREAT post Al. Thanks.

This should probably be a "sticky" under the bedding thread.

Thanks again.

Camp is where you make it.
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks T. Now do up your turkey gun, and let's see some pics!

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You know, I probably should. It's just a plain old Remington 870 Express 20 ga.

It couldn't look worse that's for sure. smile

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, the webbing paint is not to be had locally. Plus I've discovered it's available only from Krylon and in any color you want as long as it's black, white, silver or gold. Anybody ever shot web or "strings" with a paint gun? Thinking it might be just as cheap to buy a gun and borrow a compressor. That way I can do any color I like. Any tips on nozzles, gun types, pressures etc? Never used a paint gun so advise is welcome. thanks.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,077
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.