Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lee,
I have been shooting and loading for my 340 10 years now.
I like everything about it except the recoil.
That being said, I have never tried anything lighter than 225 grains-I have a hunch a guy could use a 210gr partition or TSX and cut out a fair bit of the sting on the butt end.
Favorite load for mine is a 225gr A-Frame or TSX ahead of RL25 and FED 215GM primers.
I see just under 3100 fps and very good accuracy.

Have fun.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had one for a while, awesome round. With 250 or heavier bullets I had to practice a fair bit to be comfortable with it; with the 225's it wasn't much different than a stiff 300Win load.

I'll never own one again as I own a great 358 Norma on a CRF M70 (you'll appreciate that part!), but I would like the rifle just as much if it was a 340.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is directed at Lee, but anybody can answer: will a .340 fit in a new (SC) M70? I know I could build one on a Rem 700, but I kinda like M70s (though you wouldn't know it by looking at my safe!).

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Why get a 340 when the 375H&H has a lot more versatility? Shoot 235 grain Barnes triple shocks at elk, bear, moose etc. 300's for dangerous game.

For the from what it's worth category, I find it really hard to believe that when push comes to shove there would be much diff tween a 300/375 slug and a 275SAF/340 slug or the new 286 or whatever the heavy TSX/340 slug is...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Why get a 340 when the 375H&H has a lot more versatility? Shoot 235 grain Barnes triple shocks at elk, bear, moose etc. 300's for dangerous game.

For the from what it's worth category, I find it really hard to believe that when push comes to shove there would be much diff tween a 300/375 slug and a 275SAF/340 slug or the new 286 or whatever the heavy TSX/340 slug is...

Dober

Except for the fact it wouldn't be legal to hunt DG in a lot of countries.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I got one back in '86 because it looked like the best combination of flat long range trajectory and impressive close range thwack that was available at the time. Even with the advent of all of the recent Ultra/Lapua/STW/etc. catridges, I still think it fits that description.

Recoil is noticeable, but not too painful unless you are shooting 40 rounds from the bench. I did put a brake on mine a few years ago after I had shoulder surgery. Now it feels like a .243 on the shoulder (and a thermonuclear device on the ears...I wear hearing protection when hunting with it).

I had to put an elk down quickly on the last evening of a hunt in '91 and it was nice to have complete confidence in the ability of the .340 with a good bullet to break all of those bones on a high shoulder shot on a big bull.

Mine has been very accurate and it shoots as flat as a .270. I had a .375 when I got the .340...the .375 is long gone but the .340 remains in the safe.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 07/10/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who ever said anything about hunting DG in other countries?

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
And whatever you do....do not stick a brake on it. Magnaport yes and absolutely but no brakes as they're for cars.

Dober
Brakes? ME? Nope.. But I considered one for my M70 in .300WM.. That little bastid kicks the SNOT outta me.. Hehehee..

Originally Posted by KDK
This is directed at Lee, but anybody can answer: will a .340 fit in a new (SC) M70? I know I could build one on a Rem 700, but I kinda like M70s (though you wouldn't know it by looking at my safe!).
Don't know about the new ones.. But I can make it fit in a NH rifle.. laugh laugh..

Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
I think with you having the ability to build whatever you want, you'll be able to tame that recoil a whole lot better than those folks at Weatherby tried.
LMAO.. Yah, I can tame it down a tad.. But one thing is for sure - it does need a meaty barrel.. Try to make one in a #2 contour is a sure way to get your new set of false teeth..

I appreciate fully the feedback on this question.. Nice to get something back from folks that actually SHOOT this beast.. I haven't checked, but I bet the shells are about $5/ea..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 340 Wby is a hell of a round..I have shot them with a brake and without..either way suited me fine, the brake really takes the recoil out of it, very effective..Its loud but all big bores are loud and with or without a brake it will do hearing damage without ear protection..Its a 300 Wby. on Steriods for sure.

That said I still prefer the .338 Win. and I don't see it in competition with my .375 H&H, not at all..I like them both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
And whatever you do....do not stick a brake on it. Magnaport yes and absolutely but no brakes as they're for cars.

Dober
Brakes? ME? Nope.. But I considered one for my M70 in .300WM.. That little bastid kicks the SNOT outta me.. Hehehee..

Originally Posted by KDK
Don't know about the new ones.. But I can make it fit in a NH rifle.. laugh laugh..

Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
I think with you having the ability to build whatever you want, you'll be able to tame that recoil a whole lot better than those folks at Weatherby tried.
LMAO.. Yah, I can tame it down a tad.. But one thing is for sure - it does need a meaty barrel.. Try to make one in a #2 contour is a sure way to get your new set of false teeth..

I appreciate fully the feedback on this question.. Nice to get something back from folks that actually SHOOT this beast.. I haven't checked, but I bet the shells are about $5/ea..

Lee,
A 340 on an M70 action would be sweet!
cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 340 is the only round I have absolute complete confidence with. The step from 30 to 338 has been a BIG step IMO.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
yup! one step forword in power and two steps back when you touch her off!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are some real deals on Mark V's out there right now in 340. Do the search you will be surprised, pleasantly surprised. If you insist on a new one, well to each his own. The fast 33's are very useful on elk at longish ranges.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have likely owned over 200 various rifles and chamberings and the .340 was my all time favorite..it was deadly accurate and when i was younger, the weight and recoil werent an issue..721 yd coyote and three mule deer that literally were blown off their feet and big puffs of dust off their hides on impact are a few of the memories! jap synthetic factory Mark V that would put the factory 200 hornady's into .25 " and the factory 210 partitions into 5/8's- 3/4"... at some point I will get another in a light weight custom..read a quote in a reloading manual once that went something along the lines of "if it cant be done with a .340, it doesnt need to be done"..for everything that i would ever hunt, i agree !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FullMetalParka
Who ever said anything about hunting DG in other countries?

I was trying to explain why the 375 is more versatile than the 340 for an all around caliber (deer to DG). The person who started the thread may never have Buff on his mind. Not sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once owned a 340 in a MK V.

Great rifle, but it kicked the SNOT out of me, so I had it Magna-Ported.
This made it a "shootable" rifle for me.

I was shooting the Nosler 210 at around 3200 FPS.

I got bored and traded it for something else. Don't even remember what.

Haven't hunted elk in years but have a 35 Whelen in a Rem. CDL "just in case"

Virgil B.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
There are some real deals on Mark V's out there right now in 340. Do the search you will be surprised,
Yeah.. But it's a Mark -V... Pfffft..

laugh

The person who started the thread may never have Buff on his mind.
Nah.. Just a chambering I don't have.. Only buff I might be after are on a farm just west of me.. laugh laugh

Not sure.
Me either.. Hehehee..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by elkivory
I have likely owned over 200 various rifles and chamberings and the .340 was my all time favorite..it was deadly accurate and when i was younger, the weight and recoil werent an issue..721 yd coyote and three mule deer that literally were blown off their feet and big puffs of dust off their hides on impact are a few of the memories! jap synthetic factory Mark V that would put the factory 200 hornady's into .25 " and the factory 210 partitions into 5/8's- 3/4"... at some point I will get another in a light weight custom..read a quote in a reloading manual once that went something along the lines of "if it cant be done with a .340, it doesnt need to be done"..for everything that i would ever hunt, i agree !
Quit it! Yer makin' me drool...

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Dober

Except for the fact it wouldn't be legal to hunt DG in a lot of countries.
That"legal" thing is way overated and pretty much ignored. Look at the picture below that ain't even a 3006...

As far as comparing, a 340 with a 250gr TSX@ 2900 plus can do about anything a 375 can do.

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jorge

So when Mr. Sharp is not guiding people, what does he do? Was he a bodybuilder when he was younger?

He looks like an interesting character. I bet he has some stories to tell.

Landrum

Last edited by Landrum; 07/11/10.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 14,163 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,223
Posts18,543,875
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.