Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am fallible, lost a Blue Wildebeest that I felt I hit well with a 350gr Hornaday RN at 2000 fps. If I had my odd six he would have got 2 in him. Practicing a quick second shot with my 375 Ruger Hawkeye is fun too!

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Funny you should say that about Blue Wildebeest. They are really tough. I knocked one down at 312 yards in 2007, and he looked as dead as a hammer. We watched him for 5 minutes and started to walk to him when he got up and hit the brush. He is the only animal I have had to follow any distance after being hit with the 511 grain paper patched bullet of the Sharps. He traveled a good 500 yards before we found him.

The reason we were able to find him was that the Sharps load gave complete pass through penetration, and he bled out both sides which gave the trackers more than enough to work with.

As an aside, I am amazed at the skill of the trackers in Africa. They are capable of some remarkable work. I watched them sort out the trail of a Gemsbok shot by a client with a 300 Win Mag that left little to no trail I could see.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was advised to make a shoulder shot, 100 yds slightly quartering toward us. Shot felt good, he stumbled and swapped ends and went into the bush. We waited 2 minutes and went after him, first mistake, he rolled in dust to stop bleeding and we jumped him 100 yds in, with PH right in my way and gun muzzle 120 degrees off, missed him as he departed. Jumped him again 300 yds later and really did not have a shot, PH right in way again. Tracked him another 5 miles and lost track. The next day was mother's day and the last day of my hunt, the PH abandoned the chase, I was not too impressed, he was unarmed from the start. With a repeater and a high heart/lung shot the story might have been different.
We found bright, stringy blood, looked like muscle blood. I think the bullet failed to penetrate the heavy shoulder/collar bone, probably over expanded. Just a guess, but I know these shed jackets easy.
Next time with bonded core 300 gr 375s and a solid behind it the result might be better.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by bcp
Please make and post a video of your first firing with full loads.

In a light rifle, it would be similar to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVqT3XEzss

Bruce

These are actually videos of a guy that did exactly what I am talking about:

Last edited by JR_Maley; 05/31/10.

The more I build up a tolerance to recoil, the more I need to get my fix.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by JR_Maley
Originally Posted by bcp
Please make and post a video of your first firing with full loads.

In a light rifle, it would be similar to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVqT3XEzss

Bruce

These are actually videos of a guy that did exactly what I am talking about:

A striking resemblance, across all three videos.

Thank you, for proving several points.

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Well, JR, after your 1895 .458WM thread, where you started at 60K PSI, backed to 50K PSI fast, then finally retreated to sanity at 43500 PSI (might be reasons for that...), have at the .45-120 rechamber.

Just remember, in your own mind (you're the only one you have to convince) you're just ... that... much smarter than everyone else.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
That cute, sharp little hammer sitting back there might just make an impression, too.

Shocker the loser with 40,000 posts has something useless, sarcastic, smarmy, and passive aggressive to say. Get a life.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
That cute, sharp little hammer sitting back there might just make an impression, too.

Shocker the loser with 40,000 posts has something useless, sarcastic, smarmy, and passive aggressive to say. Get a life.

Shock that the idiot who can't fathom maximum SAAMI pressures has his panties in a twist.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
BTW - the "victim" role don't win many brownie points are here, save from those who resort to the same. That list, is short and notorious, though no doubt you'll fit in fine.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Fathom that sharpsguy and EvilTwin have far less than agreeable things to say about your DSMFer of an idea. And, they've a thing or three between them re: BPCR rounds and shooting.

I'll leave the questioned experience to them, as they've more than handily handed you your ass, though should you care to keep coming at me, I can do likewise.

Savvy, you might need a new game, and elsewhere.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimone
My 45-70 Handi is much faster to reload than a Ruger #1-3, you don't have to take your right hand off the grip.
That said I don't hunt any game with a single shot anymore to minimize chances of lost, wounded game.

But you do have to take the left hand off the rifle, unless you are left handed.........8-)

To each his own.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by jimone
I was advised to make a shoulder shot, 100 yds slightly quartering toward us. Shot felt good, he stumbled and swapped ends and went into the bush. We waited 2 minutes and went after him, first mistake, he rolled in dust to stop bleeding and we jumped him 100 yds in, with PH right in my way and gun muzzle 120 degrees off, missed him as he departed. Jumped him again 300 yds later and really did not have a shot, PH right in way again. Tracked him another 5 miles and lost track. The next day was mother's day and the last day of my hunt, the PH abandoned the chase, I was not too impressed, he was unarmed from the start. With a repeater and a high heart/lung shot the story might have been different.
We found bright, stringy blood, looked like muscle blood. I think the bullet failed to penetrate the heavy shoulder/collar bone, probably over expanded . Just a guess, but I know these shed jackets easy.
Next time with bonded core 300 gr 375s and a solid behind it the result might be better.

jimone,
I have always heard that the Hornady 350gr. was designed for higher vel.
Check out the photo's of the Hornady 350gr in this thread..
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/2861098911/p/71

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well I only have around 2k posts and I think you are a dumb [bleep] so perhaps there is something to it.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Well, JR, after your 1895 .458WM thread, where you started at 60K PSI, backed to 50K PSI fast, then finally retreated to sanity at 43500 PSI (might be reasons for that...), have at the .45-120 rechamber.

Just remember, in your own mind (you're the only one you have to convince) you're just ... that... much smarter than everyone else.

But back to topic, why are you so passionately against a .45-120 Buffalo Classic? Is it just the recoil?

-JR

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

But back to topic, why are you so passionately against a .45-120 Buffalo Classic? Is it just the recoil?

-JR

Nope.

And, you remain a dumbphuck.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yeah that!

DSMFer........Lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well,ya already done hit the tripwire, but as for the concept..not very good. There are MUCHO better platforms for a big cartidge like that. I should say that the conversion you have in mind would likely "come off the face" fairly quickly even if you used BP. Safety factor shot to hell there. It was a common malady with some old double rifles that was addressed by much more complex and much stronger locking. And yeah, the recoil IS a factor. If you ntend on making it a hunting rifle you still need to shoot it pretty extensively to deveolop loads and get GOOD with it. Flinching heavily never helped anybody's shooting. Don't be such a damned hardhead.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
+1 on to each there own.
My Handi is an ejector, right thumb the button, drop shell from between fingers of left hand , flip shut, right thumb hammer as left hand goes forward and fire. You do everything with right hand on #1? It seems awkward to me, but I'm pretty ambidextrous.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by doubletap
I'm certainly not an expert in this area, but I believe that the advantage of a .45-120 exists mainly when using black powder. The .45-70 has all the capacity you need for smokeless loads.

And, all you want !!!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I sure hope the implication isn't that NEF rifles are unreliable.

Probably very reliable....to fly part like a dollar watch.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.