Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on beach or pier fishing in the Myrtle Beach area. We are headed there the end of this month. Although I'm a serious freshwater fisherman, I have never done any saltwater fishing. I plan on purchasing a saltwater reel and rod for the trip. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated. THANKS....

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We were in North Myrtle last summer and had great fishing. Caught a few mackerel from the pier but mostly whiting, sharks sheepshead and spots. Went out a few miles with a guy in a big center console and caught cobia, shark, amberjack, kings and barracuda then the weather started getting up so we ran back in and finished the day inland catching flounder and trout. Wish all my fishing trips were as good as that one. Let me know if you have any interest in going out for a full or 1/2 day and I'll dig up the guys name we went with, very reasonable and super nice guy.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
We always had a lot of success off the Cherry Grove pier.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
world record tiger was caught off that pier considered by many to be the greatest rod and reel record of all since it was caught from a pier [Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I spent my entire summers there. The State Park at South Myrtle Beach as well as Murrels Inlet provide for good fishing down south. As for North Myrtle you're best off hitting the piers all the way up to Calabash. If surf casting be ready for anything from sharks to stingrays. That fishing is best done overnight. If you don't have access to a boat most all of the beaches have back creeks. Find one with a sandy bottom and you'll catch flounder. Use a Carolina rig with peelers, shrimp or mud minnows. Sand crabs also work well.

Be sure to grab a casting net for bait and shrimp. Look for blue crabs around dock pylons.

Which part of Myrtle Beach are you visiting?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fish a couple of rods with one ounce pyramid weights and about one or two foot of thirty pound leader close to the pier pillings with mud minnows and dead shrimp on a number two kahles hook, fish another with a live bait mullet or menhaden about twenty yards from pier. Hold on the fish are biting well.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
world record tiger was caught off that pier considered by many to be the greatest rod and reel record of all since it was caught from a pier [Linked Image]

Holy schniekies.....Look at the size of that reel!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
16/0 penn i have two of them [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am headed down to surside this weekend. Will be there through the week. It should about be time for the Bluefish run. I really enjoy catching them on Gotcha plugs. Does anyone know if the run is on schedule this year?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

+1 Cherry Grove Pier!!

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you have to be on the beach while fishing the piers are OK. I would go to the Murrells Inlet pier (free, few tourists know about it). Or to Huntington Beach State Park and walk to the south jetty (paved on top) and fish the mouth of the inlet for red drum, sheepshead, trout, flounder, black drum.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
scfishingreport.com then click on the Grand Strand Fishing Report orange dot.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Moses
If you have to be on the beach while fishing the piers are OK. I would go to the Murrells Inlet pier (free, few tourists know about it). Or to Huntington Beach State Park and walk to the south jetty (paved on top) and fish the mouth of the inlet for red drum, sheepshead, trout, flounder, black drum.

I concur 100%. The Murrells Inlet pier is a great kept secret. Also there are several fresh seafood markets there that take in most of the daily catch. Love the State Park too. I like South Myrtle.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Fished Murrells Inlet this past week. Caught two spotail bass on the outside of the north jetty (20" and 23"-fun with 6lbs. test), 3 ladyfish, 1 flounder that went 3 lbs., some croaker,seabass, a bunch of spots + pins, and two sharks that went 8-9 lbs. Also fun with 6 lbs test and 3" shrimp Gulps. [Linked Image]

Last edited by Moses; 07/05/10.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]Someone in an earlier post on another thread asked about the Murrells Inlet Pier. This is the one. Good fishing as the tide is coming in.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 69sportfury, 14 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,570
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.