Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Which do you feel is more accurate?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.277 to .284. It matters for nothing but what you want to buy and use. No animal on earth has ever known the difference. If you have a .284 bbl that shoots better than a .277 bbl, someone else has the exact opposite.

Either one will work far better than any commentator on the subject, too... grin.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In the real world, I don't think there is a difference.
If the .270 fanatics can be believed :), the .270 can be very accurate. And I know from personal experiences that the 7-08 is very accurate. I have owned several and at present own four. Each one has been accurate and easy to find a good load for. In fact, they'll digest just about anything and do a good job of it. I think that indicates an inherently accurate rifle: ease of reloading for.
It needs to be remembered, however, the 7-08 was developed as a target round, a status the .270 never acchieved.

Aim for the exit hole.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My 270 is more accurate than my 7-08, but my 7-08 is more accurate than my other 270's hope that helps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 7-08 has a rep for being accurate, mine isn't. I seem to remember someone here made the statement that the manufacturers have more trouble with returns for accuracy problems with the 7-08 than any other chambering.
Kimber is reported to have stopped selling them due to a bad batch of barrels.
My 270 is very accurate, but has a Pac-Nor barrel. The original factory barrel was great too. My sons isn't much better than the 7-08 I have.

IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Joe,

The FN Win Model 70 I bought in 7-08 is very accurate.
Two loads that shoot well are:
140 gn Nosler Partition, with 45.0 gns of H-414 and Fed 210 primers. (To save some money, I shot 140 gn Sierra's for sighting in the rifle.)
100 gn Sierra HP, with 42.0 gns of Varget and the Fed 210's.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ole_270
I seem to remember someone here made the statement that the manufacturers have more trouble with returns for accuracy problems with the 7-08 than any other chambering.

What would we do without the internet...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Ole_270
I seem to remember someone here made the statement that the manufacturers have more trouble with returns for accuracy problems with the 7-08 than any other chambering.

What would we do without the internet...

And the firm knowledge...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The wonders of speculation and memory never cease.

I have loaded for at least 15 .270's and they have all shot very well. Some have been among the most accurate big game rifles I've ever owned.

Haven't loaded for as many 7mm-08's but they seem to do pretty much the same.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A question for the original poster. Are you interested in good hunting accuracy, or competition target accuracy?

The reason I ask is that I doubt there is much difference in the calibers. Where there tends to be a difference is in the support products to load accurate cartridges. Not many target quality bullets available for the .270, but some are from the 7mm. Lapua does not make cases for either, but I presume you could make your own from the .308 cases for the 7mm-08. Norma makes cases for both. You should also look around for target quality dies to see if they are available for each.

My choice for an excellent all around hunting cartridge would be the 270. If forced to choose between the two for target shooting, then I would go for the 7mm-08. If not forced between then two, then I would pick a 6BR Norma for target.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The OP is just trying to stir [bleep] with a topic that's deader than JFK.

But summer will be over soon, and the kiddies will be back in school.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My 7mm-08 is one of the most accurate hunting rifles that I own.

I attribute that to various portions of the cartridge, the aftermarket barrel, and my gunsmith who put it all together.

If I was to go the same route with a 270, I would expect it to hang right there with my 7mm-08.

More has to do with the rifle, components, care in assembly (whether custom or factory), and ammo, than the particular designation stamped on the barrel.

In other words, both are more than accurate enough chamberings, in general terms, to not pick one over the other, based solely on a theoritical inherent accuracy advantage.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Inherent accuracy" differences from any factory rifle in any chambering is a myth. Inherent good or bad luck with any given example is beliveable tho.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ron AKA,
This "build" is actually going to end up being my grandsons first hunting rifle. With all of your help ,I belive the 7mm-08 will fit nicely. Thanks again.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For hunting I would stand with my choice of the 270. I believe it can take North American game up to and including elk and moose. Yes, the 7mm-08 is close in energy, but much less popular. If recoil is an issue, then yes it will have less. There is always a price to be paid for a less popular cartridge, unless you just want something "different". Many cartridges have come and gone, but I suspect the 270 will hang in there for a long time. If stuck you can probably find ammo at any Walmart.

With respect to accuracy for hunting between these two, I would suggest this comes back to rifle quality, and load quality, but not the cartridge.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have a good friend here in Montana who outfitted his sons with 7mm-08's when they started out. They have now taken over 30 elk with them, out to 400 yards, and one mature bull moose, with no problems. My wife and I have done the same thing with both the .270 and the 7x57, which is exactly the ballistic equivalent of the 7mm-08, though not on as many animals.

That's because there really is no practical difference between the 7mm-08 and .270 ballistically. You can get maybe 100 fps more muzzle velocity out of the .270 than the 7mm-08 with the same bullet weight. I know this from handloading for both in a number of rifles. That difference is much less than 100 fps out at 300+ yards.

I doubt the 7mm-08 is going to blow up and dry away. It's been going strong for 30 years now, and from what I have seen here in Montana is becoming even more popular, partly because a lot of once-macho guys are getting older and realize they don't have to get the snot kicked out of them to kill elk. It ain't just a "women and kids" cartridge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Over all I haven't seen either that is any better or more inherently accurate than a 308. Don't particularly like the 270 because to me it kicks harder than a 30-06. I haven't owned but 3 708's and the best average I could do with them was around 3/4 MOA. I've done that with a 308 just playing around trying to find the right load many times. I'm waiting on that 6.5/08. May have to get a Creedmoor yet.

As for the question because I don't like the snot knocked out of me the 708 would be my choice but depends on what you want it for because my 243 is also more accurate than most. 95 Bergers at 3000fps are pretty potent.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
Which do you feel is more accurate?

Let's talk about the 308 vs 'o6 too, or maybe the 22-250 vs 223, or we could talk about the 416 Rigby vs the 416 Rem.

If we get really bored, maybe the 280 vs the 280 AI...............

Really????????????

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
For the most part, "inherent accuracy" means nothing relative to modern centerfire rifle chamberings.

Well, I'd venture the opinion that the 6PPC is inherently more accurate than the 44-40. But that's a pretty extreme example.

There are a wider selection of .284" match bullets than .277" match bullets though. Might be worth consideration, or not, depending on your purpose.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 65 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.