Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by .280Rem
making a nice rack hard to chew.

DANG IT!!! ah hate a nice rack dat's hard ta chew. grin

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL I knew that was coming!!!

280 is right, properly cooked, the ribs won't fall off the bone...membrane or no membrane

Last edited by duxndogs; 07/22/10.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
back in the day, when i was growing up, we always kilt two fattening hogs each year. one about the Friday after TG, and the other between Xmas and New Years.

we cut the ribs into strips, and almost always boil them. always good, and flavorful. we never knew to take the peeling off the back.

but nowadays, i must admit, i can't cook a proper rib on the Weber w/o peeling the backskin off the rib. it's just the thing to do, maybe a ritual, but oh so important.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a peeler... to me the membrane never gets "crispy" and is almost always chewy... I will admit, I have over cooked ribs to the point that they fall off the bone but I am getting better and they still tasted delicious if you ask me...

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm of the school that never even heard of peeling until reading on here about it. I've since been peeling, and to my unrefined tastes can't tell much of a difference.

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
I also would rather chew the meat off the bones than have it fall off. Personal taste.

BCR

Amen Brother!

Properly cooked ribs shouldn't "fall off the bone" anyway. They should offer a little resistance to being pulled off the bone while eating.

Yup----when I go to someones cookout I can always spot the parboilers right off the first bite.. laugh

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I can always spot the parboilers

I kicked that habit a long time ago.

(whoops, except for my chicken wings)

Last edited by sse; 07/26/10. Reason: guarantee of full disclosure

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
I also would rather chew the meat off the bones than have it fall off. Personal taste.

BCR

Amen Brother!

Properly cooked ribs shouldn't "fall off the bone" anyway. They should offer a little resistance to being pulled off the bone while eating.

Yup----when I go to someones cookout I can always spot the parboilers right off the first bite.. laugh

I'm not sure I follow, are you saying that for rib meat to fall off the bone it must be parboiled first?

All American

All the time
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never peeled or parboiled. I just rub right over the membrane. We mostly use just baby backs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by croldfort
I have never peeled or parboiled. I just rub right over the membrane. We mostly use just baby backs.

Concur. I actually like te little bit of strucure that the membrae gives and it doesn't bother me to strip it off. I don't think it blocks flavor at all.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got kids. Lots of 'em. They'll notice the membrane left on in a second.

They have become quite finicky about their Q - grins.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stan V

I'm not sure I follow, are you saying that for rib meat to fall off the bone it must be parboiled first?

They can simply be overcooked. In a water smoker you can litterally steam them to mush.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You bet. Taking them off the pit and wrapping in foil for a while will cause them to fall off the bone, also. Parboiling isn't required.....I know a lot of women and kids that prefer falling off the bone ribs. It's a personal preference. If they like, I like. grin

All American

All the time
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You bet. Taking them off the pit and wrapping in foil for a while will cause them to fall off the bone, also. Parboiling isn't required.....I know a lot of women and kids that prefer falling off the bone ribs. It's a personal preference. If they like, I like. grin

very true. it's my own estimation that the average Joe and his missus and kids are moving toward a more tender cut of meat or the cooking thereof.

not to say the bbq and chili judges aren't right in their decisions, but the "average" consumer is probably moving more toward tender and less toward chewy. but, it really is a question of personal taste. i love boiled ribs that still have some chew left, but not everyone agrees with this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by petr
I've got kids. Lots of 'em. They'll notice the membrane left on in a second.

They have become quite finicky about their Q - grins.

Spoiled rotten! Why I rememember as a kid they made us eat North Carolina BBQ! Oh the humanity. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I confess to par boiling early in life... cry glad I got that off my chest! whistle

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
I confess to par boiling early in life... cry glad I got that off my chest! whistle

Closet parboiler...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse

Closet parboiler...

I swear I only did it once and I didn't eat them...

Andrew
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No. I'm not saying that at all. But for me I AM saying that falling off the bone is NOT my preference.

Whatever works for you brother! And yup tin foil used wrongly produces mush.

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sse

Closet parboiler...

ok parkay boy laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,686
Posts18,475,107
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.