big +1. She's your daughter.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
That usually works out better than them moving back in.........especially if you have a wife now that is NOT the mother.

In my world blood is thicker than water....but I haven't been married as many times as mannlicher.

How many times Mannlicher has been married has nothing to do with anything here---that was a cheap shot on your part.
Blood is thicker than water is a good excuse for some kids to walk all over their parents or grandparents. Some parents don't raise kids to be adults and those kids want nothing more than to look for sympathy and a free ride, rather than a route to independence and responsibility. BTDT, and in the long run sometimes it is better to practice tough love, than to further enable a person who is used to being enabled.
I'll gladly help a family member who is trying to help themself, but I won't help anyone who won't help themselves.

Um...ok....stupid analogy..but good for you.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have kids yet, but I know that my parents will always be there for me. If I had some tough times they wouldn't hesitate to let me back into their home. But, I also know I could never let that be permanant. You know your daughter better than any of us. What are your concerns about her moving in?

Deal with it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I agree with the others, let her in! Also, I will keep you all in my prayers...

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
one of the reason we have GSP's, They only ask to be fed twice daily and hunt birds regularily.....

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It would be hard for me to conceive of the circumstances that I wouldn't let my daughter come home to live with me. I'm sure there are some, but I'm having a hard time thinking of any.
Agreed.

My Mom came to live with us a couple of months ago. Though she is some work and we have had to do some modifications, I wouldn't have it any other way.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
ONLY you know all the details and what is truly the right thing to do, not us!

Do what is right, and will lead to the best long term good!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Can only say what I've done. After single parenting two boys and supporting them through college they were on their own. They tried the come back home routine but but found me living on my sailboat. I think they spent maybe two nights on the cabin sole in sleeping bags before they moved on.
They are now both very successful men with families they easily support.
I say give her a hard berth for maybe two weeks and send her and baggage down the road, sounds mean but it's the best you can do.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's your daughter and grandchild and they need help. Pretty much your answer right there.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes, go ahead help them. They may not always act like you want or show their appreciation like you could hope, that is life.

I might let my grown kids go a little while if they are healthy and on their own. However, my young grand kids are not going to be put at risk if I can help it.

I recommend you give the help away with no strings. It makes it harder to second guess it.

My wife and I have a blended family, my three and her two. We also had a big friend of the youngest boys live with us for four years and then my dad for a slightly longer period of time.

Four of the five have come home for periods of time up to a year after they got out on their own. They weren't destitute, just needful of a transition place. The other one lived in a house near us for seven years. We subsidized the rent. We were lucky to be able to help.

Oddly enough I wanted out of the house as soon as I could and never had to go back to live except for the first couple of weeks after I got out of the Marines.

Me and mine have been incredibly lucky in that respect.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like folks have been saying, family (and friends you consider family)is really all that matters.

My advice is to give your present wife time to really think about this though, what she says and how she REALLY feels may be two different things. Even she may not know until they move in.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
all good answers, and no bad ones. Our thoughts reflect our own experiences, and our individual outlooks on life.

Dancing Bear though touched on an interesting point, when he said that when he was young, he wanted out of the house as soon as he could.

That mirrors my own experience. I left a good and loving home, before I finished High School, wanting to be on my own.
I never went back, nor did I ever want to.
There were some lean times though, during college, and after, particularly when I was a divorced single Dad with two small children.
I am not saying that some help from the folks did not happen, but that help did not extend to me moving back home.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Should I let my daughter move back home?"

Would you do the same for one of your present wife's kids?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muleshoe

well dang, muleshoe, I just don't know. I have never married a woman that already had kids. laugh

That was a very thinly veiled slam though. If you have nuts, just come out and say what's on your mind. shocked

Sam......

P
Plinker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by muleshoe

Without hesitation.

When I posted this yesterday, my head was in a spin. I sought the wisdom of peers and I got it. I could not have asked this question of so many wise people anywhere else in the world.

You see, I was P.O.'d that my ex still has a problem with alcohol after being divorced 22 years. My ex took it out on our daughter and oldest grand daughter. I needed cool heads to think it through.

Some of you are too new to remember the old "Christ At The Campfire" area of the forum. The area is gone but, Christ is still here.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
That usually works out better than them moving back in.........especially if you have a wife now that is NOT the mother.

In my world blood is thicker than water....

I have to agree that blood is thicker than water. Obviously we don't know the particulars, like does the daughter have anything going on that would require some "tough love" like alcoholism, drugs, etc. Barring that, if it's a case of her going through a tough time then there's no way I'd turn her away, she and the granddaughter are your family. Marriages between people who already have children can be trying. In my opinion the children should always come first and someone who marries a person who already has children has to accept this, the children pre-existed the marriage. If your daughter and granddaughter truly need help I would not let a current spouse cause me to deny them that help. Hopefully your current wife wouldn't be against that but I know some who would.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plinker,

Don't take this wrong, pard, if the summary below seems cruel, but it's important to look at this from your daughter's perspective:

Pregnancy: Fail
Job: Fail
Marriage: Fail
Losing 'independent status' and moving in with Mom: Fail
Mother/Daughter relationship: Fail

If your daughter needs you, it's a slam dunk, your home is her home and it always will be. But her moving in with you is another failure of independence. As with her mom, if your relationship with her goes south it will be yet another failure. Whether or not any of these failures are your daughter's fault doesn't change the outcome.

The way I see it, my job as a Dad is to help prevent my kids' failures. Outside of our loved ones, there's little more important than our independence. If there were any possible way I'd set her up in a rental of some sort - whatever is cheap and safe - that provides her with some semblance of freedom. Put a timer on the arrangement. The string of failures has got to stop, and your daughter will be invested in it knowing she has to get things together or it's back home to daddy. She might be wounded now, but in her heart that's probably the last thing she wants.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd say stand by your daughter...

as a side note, be glad you have her..

my daughters from my first 'marriage' ( read fiasco) were taken away from me by my ex and the stupid liberal leftist court system in Minneapolis..I've had 4 daughters taken away from me in my life, for no other reason that to promote governmental control over individuals lives...so they can create job security... MY SIN?? Not "cooperating" with their demands... No alcohol or NO Drug or No abuse reasons... just refusing to kiss bureaucrats fannies...

I have no relationship at all with them now.. they grew up to be carbon copies of their mother.. a social disaster...

Last edited by Seafire; 07/22/10.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by achildofthesky
You might make it too easy for them to not try and improve their lot...

Yep...the common buzzword is "enabling"....and I personally have never seen it turn out well...JMHO

Ingwe

If she had a drub habit, or habit of quitting jobs or shaking with bad men, etc, that might be the case. As I understand it, this is a simple case of hard times.

War Damn Eagle!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,087
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.