Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Too bad we can't turn back the clock. The old Texas Rangers would have known how to handle this... pronto.

When I was in graduate school I worked down there on some white-tailed deer research projects. There was a jail break in Carrizo Springs but the escapees were unable to get out of the jail, thanks to quick response from the police and the sheriff's department. An old Texas Ranger arrived to take command. The bad guys holed up in the jail refused to surrender by the deadline and the Ranger put his plan in motion. An hour later, according to one of the technicians that I worked with, "bodies were stacked like cordwood on the courthouse lawn". This may have been a slight exaggeration, but nonetheless, there were no survivors among the escapees.

In Graham ,Tx in the late seventies , every local cop , deputy , trooper , and even the game wardens had a house surrounded on Alford St. Inside the house was " an armed man " .

After about three hours of this standoff , the Texas Ranger from down at Mineral Wells arrived .

The Police Chief was technically in charge so tne Ranger asked him : " What does the guy want ?"

" We don't know " .

" What is he threatening ?"

"We don't know "

The Ranger turned to the game warden - a big guy who was a good friend of mine named David Hancock - pinched a bit of his shirtsleeve and said ; " Come on Fatboy , let's go find out !"

And they walked up to the front door where the Ranger hollered for somebody to come open the door or he was going to come in shooting .

A very scared young mentally retarded guy with a 22 rifle opened the door and said ;" I was just comin' in from squirrel huntin' and all the cops started chasing me so I knew this house was vacant so I come here . I was afraid to go home ; afraid they'd shoot Momma."

If this report is the real deal , I expect the Rangers are on the scene .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Come on, Fatboy?

TFF!

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If this is real the Mexicans better pray that our Feds get involved. Citizens of Texas may have lost a bit of the old time sprit, but not that much.
There will be an army of pissed off Texans coming to take care of business, and there may be a few hangings if bullets spare anyone

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is an interesting choice of words???

"...At about 4:30 p.m., Maru De La Paz, spokeswoman for Webb County Sheriff�s Office, wrote that the report about Zetas taking over ranches in Laredo is not confirmed....".

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i'll ask my brother the rig he's on is right by Laredo. i know they have had rigs fired on by smugglers and the BP has been in some fire fights near the location of the rigs

Last edited by stxhunter; 07/24/10.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It wouldn't be that hard to confirm if true. Like the comments portion on the newspaper's website mentioned, all they'd have to do is send a reporter down there to see if the place is overrun with cops. Is the Laredo paper so poor they can't send someone down there to check?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Maybe Obama will send Jesse Jackson to negotiate a surrender for Texas.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One problem with the story is that "ranches" implies a rural setting and - as such - is outside the jurisdiction of the Laredo PD which is cited as the source of the story .

The Sherrif's Dep't and BP would have the authority .

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"Standoff"????!!!!

The article should read firefight. Response to foreign armed invaders shouldn't include standoff.

If this is true I'm sure it will be trivialize and downplayed by the press and the administration. Somehow Obama will blame America for the irate undocumented workers and the availability of guns within our country. More foreign aide to Mexico to fight drugs.

If you aint locked and loaded you should be.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
from the Confederate Yankee:

No, Texas Hasn't Been Invaded

Twitter exploded a while ago about this story, which claims that heavily-armed Los Zetas gunmen of the Gulf Cartel have taken over ranches on the U.S. side of the border.

My curiosity got the better of me, and so I called the Laredo Police Department, and had a delightful chat with the acting watch commander, Sgt. Perez.

Sgt. Perez informed me that I was her seventh caller about this claim since she came on duty this afternoon. She stipulated two things that blows holes in the invasion claim.

1. The location of the alleged invasion is outside of their city-limits jurisdiction, so they would not be involved, and;
2. while they would not be involved in any law enforcement response outside of their jurisdiction, they work closely with the county sheriff's office and would know if such an event is occurring.

She also provided me the number of the Sheriff's Department. The deputy that answered the phone there was less bemused, having also dealt with this rumor multiple times in a short amount of time. She also told me that there was no invasion and no law enforcement siege, and that deputies were continuing normal operations.

Don't believe the hype.

Update: The Laredo Morning Times dumps all over this false alarm as well.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, Ma ; That ought to be enough popcorn , show's about over .

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by curdog4570
One problem with the story is that "ranches" implies a rural setting and - as such - is outside the jurisdiction of the Laredo PD which is cited as the source of the story .

The Sheriff's Dep't and BP would have the authority .

Doesn't change my assertion that the newspaper could confirm or deny by simply sending a reporter out there to check. If said reporter comes across a roadblock of deputies and/or BP, it would clear up the issue pretty quick. As it stands now, the paper is pretty damned lazy NOT to do so, and negligent as hell.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
just talked to my brother he's on location right now. he told me its actually been pretty quite lately because the river has been real high with all the flood water, which has kept the smugglers from crossing as easily. he's going to ask around about this and call me back when he gets a chance

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Sure appreciate him checking this out.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was going to call BS, but looks like Steve did first. Good job. If this actually happened there's no way it wouldn't be all over the place. Remember the Alamo.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
One thing I would note is that yesterday's big shootemup in Nuevo Laredo didn't get much coverage,.....I guess it was quite a donnybrook.

Good to de-bunk sordid rumor, regardless.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doggone it Steve! What are we going to do on Saturday night now that there's no shootout!

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,171
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.