Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My hunting partner wants to use these and I have not shot an Elk with the Bean Counter version of the 150s. The Old style I would have no reservations with, they worked fine.

Should he get something else or go with his usual load?

My reloads are a no go in his rifle.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
whatever he shoots, it should be reasonably accurate. this requirement (minimum acceptable accuracy) will "include" several factory rounds, as well as "exclude" several based upon how well his rifle shoots them. if your talking about the core-lokt ultra's, i'd say go for it providing they are accurate enough in his rifle. obviously, if they are not accurate, he should try another factory offering. perhaps he could look at the federal line of ammo. they offer several quality bullets in 7mag which will handle elk, as does hornady, win, etc. he just needs to buy a few different brands and see what his rifle shoots best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well there are a whole lot of good loads for elk in the 7mm RM that was not available 20 years ago. I would try Federals 150 gr Nosler Partition Load first. If he and his rifle can shoot 2 inch groups or better, go hunt. I been shooting nothing but Federal Fusions 150 gr load out of my Blaser R-93. Also plain Blue box Federal 150 gr loads. I don't know what is up with the New Core Lokts. I have a friend that bought I guess 4000 of the old ones some 20+ years ago and well he never bought another bullet for his 7mm RM, he swears by the 175 gr bullet.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Old Core Lockt's were one of the first controlled expansion bullets around, the new ones have a thinner jacket and less locking crimp. The Core Lockt Ultra are a thicker jacketed bonded bullet and are very good. I think they are the plated process but not sure.

Anyway this buddy would complain if hung with a new rope so that's why I don't want to reload for him. My current reloads won't even chamber in his rifle. If he missed with both eyes closed it would be the loads fault.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1lessdog, 1234, 54 invisible), 17,906 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,959
Posts18,539,612
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.