Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just ordered a Green Mountain barrel/ramrod that is supposed to drop right into my T/C Hawkin stock. It's in .58 caliber. If anyone has any experiences with these, I'd like to hear about it. Now I have to sell my Pedersoli Kodiak .58 double rifle to pay for it. Too many .58's! laugh

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I got one in 50 cal 1:32 twist and it shoots conicals very well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a .32 caliber GM barrel for my Hawken, fun to shoot and very accurate. With that small bore and the same barrel thickness it weighs a ton though. The .58's got to be better for carrying.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I suspect you're going to really like that GM barrel daddy. I sure like mine. In my opinion the longer barrel really improves the "looks" of a TC Hawken. It's just more pleasing to my eye (heavy though).

[Linked Image]

The first five targes below are some I shot recently at 50 yards from a bench to get velocity readings with the same volume of five different powders. Though I weighed the charges for consistency, the weight was based on 105 grains volume loads from a TC U-View measure.

The last target is at 100 yards from the bench. If accuracy like that doesn't make you smile, nothing will. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/NavZepol/Hawken%2058%20Targets/H58-009.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Semisane; 07/04/10.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
semisane,
Nice targets! It seems to like Goex the best. Were you cleaning in between shots? Have you tried any conicals or T/C Maxi Hunters in it or is the twist too slow? Was it really a drop in fit? I hope mine shoots that well! Thanks.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My standard practice daddy, is to wipe the bore with one side of a patch slightly dampened with 91% Isopropyl alcohol between shots. That's what the "1S1AP" notation on the target means. Sometimes I use both sides of the patch if weather conditions seem to be causing a lot of fouling.

I've never tried conicals in this 1:70 twist barrel, and doubt they would shoot well. I know for sure they can't do anything that a 285 grain ball at 1500 fps will do, and the ball trajectory is better.

It was a perfect drop in fit with one exception. I had to trim about 1/16" off the rear of the underrib. No big deal and easily done.

Last edited by Semisane; 07/04/10.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Interesting. I've been using alcohol to wipe the bore between shots for many years, and have never run into anyone else at the range that has even heard of it. Works very well.

I will probably give conicals a try, because I'd rather use them. I've always preferred conicals over round balls for hunting and I like a big heavy bullet to stop the local hog population in their tracks, but with the slow twist you're probably right about them not shooting well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every Green Mountain drop in I ever saw shot like crazy!
it's the simplest way to get a decent shooting rifle , and a two gun combination as well.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Semisane
I know for sure they can't do anything that a 285 grain ball at 1500 fps will do, and the ball trajectory is better.

An rb has a better trajectory than a conical?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
An rb has a better trajectory than a conical?

Well, I need to clarify that. blush I was thinking comparisons of the two with the same powder charge and a 150 yard maximum range (my personal hunting maximum). You can get slightly better trajectory using a maximum charge under a 555 grain MaxiBall. But who the heck wants to shoot that? grin I've done it a few times and it tends to take some of the fun out of shooting.

The main point is, for typical hunting situations (excluding grizzlies) a .58 ball will do anything a .58 conical will do, which is a .58 hole in one side and out the other.

Last edited by Semisane; 07/05/10.

IC B3

F
F
I wouldn't want to get hit by either. Lately, almost all of my shooting has been with the heavy conicals. Some people do some amazing shooting with them at long distances (to me that is anything over 100). The rainbow trajectory is very repeatable and once you got it you are set. I think the downrange energy of a heavy conical is a factor to be considered. By heavy I mean 460 grains plus. I am sure for most anything you are hunting the round ball does the job however. In my opinion barrel twist is the determining factor in bullet choice.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
semisane...ever tried .570's in your Green Mtn? I have a Renegade .58factory barrel that shoots the .570's tolerably well, wondering how accuracy was in your Green Mtn barrel was if you did try both the .570's & .575's.

i just stuck a .58 Green Mtn barrel on my other renegade... plan on seeing how it compares with my 1-48 factory .58 barrel.

if my 1-70 come anywwhere close to your groups i'll be giggling like an idiot; good shooting on your part.

============================================================

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, had a problem with my new barrel. I found out after I ordered it that it wouldn't fit my stock - 1" barrel, 15/16" tang (the original Hawken was .45 caliber). My own fault for not doing more research, Live and learn. But, after a lot of looking over the last three weeks, and one bad experience with Ebay, (buyer beware!), I've got a .54 caliber Renegade coming to put my .58 caliber barrel on. Finally!!! The rifle will hopefully be here tomarrow or Friday and the range is open this coming weekend, so, with a little luck I'll be able to shoot this thing in a couple more days. Looking forward to smelling some smoke!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
semisane...ever tried .570's in your Green Mtn?

Yes I have FyrepowrX. I got pretty much the same accuracy and they are a smidgen easier to load. But I HATE buying balls and Lee doesn't make a .570 mold. wink

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The renegade got here today and it's beautiful. Very nicely figured stock and looks almost like brand new. It's got a couple little dings, but it'll do just fine. Hopefully, if the tropical storm hanging out over the Bahamas doesn't rain everything out, some .58 caliber balls will be flying this weekend.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
daddywpb...ya cant tease us with only descriptions, especially if there is some good timber on there, we need pix! smile

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I kmow it's wrong, but I can't get pictures to post. I've tried. Technologically impaired!! I'm taking it to the range today.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I finally got to the range and I've had a silly grin on my face every since. Groups at 50 yards were just like the ones in the pictures that were posted by Semisane - one big ragged hole. I couldn't shoot at 100 yards - that distance was not available. I played around with the load, but settled on 100 grains of Goex FFg, Hornady .570 ball, and a .018 pillow ticking patch. It's tough to get down the barrel, but it shoots great. I love this rifle.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
sounds like i'm going to be a happy camper with my .58 green mtn gun.

you deer hunting with this one come fall?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those Green Mountain barels really shoot. I bought the .50 for my T.C. Hawkin as a replacement for the original barrel. What a difference. I used the 1:48 twist so as to shoot both the roundballs and conicals. Either will group like the pictures above. Nice product, good company.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,411
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.