Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Not a long range guru by any mans standards. My personal experience with the Weaver K6 shows it to be plenty of glass for ME out to 400 yards. Havent shot any farther with it yet.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Were it a Weaver T-Series,I could sorta allow it to creep in the race.

As a Play Toy,but not for down & dirty hard use............

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Good thing I was commenting on my equipment and not seeking anyones approval. That coulda been embarrassing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't know that much more can be said.. the 36 is not as clear or bright and if buying for whatever reason, why would you buy less? I know any 6x L I buy is a 42.

I dont' hunt in the dark either much( I do with hogs sometimes) but thats irrelavant, there are days where the lighting SUCKS at the start or end of the day, I don't try to handicap myself from the git go.

Now if Zeiss would hurry up and do a 6x conquest....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Good thing I was commenting on my equipment and not seeking anyones approval. That coulda been embarrassing.

Results never ain't interesting,please feel free to hang a pic of a Beastie that succumbed to X's greater than 6 and perhaps extoll upon why it couldn't have gone down otherwise.

That'll be funny!...........

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Zeiss going fixed 6x,would nip some of their inherent scope design woes.

Assuming they gave eye-relief and tube length a thunk,as well as padded the ele erector's travel and flew .25" adjustable turrets..............

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I believe youre mistaken, Im all for low magnification scopes. Realized along time ago that I never really cranked my 3-9s higher than 6 so started using fixed powers on my new rifles. MAybe if I add ... ........ ..... it may clear up the issue? .... ....

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I never put any store in any high X results arriving the scene...............

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Im sorry Stick or faux Stick, but that ones too much for even lowly ol me to understand.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Please elaborate, or tirade, choice is yours.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
You have no critters slain with high X magnification,under your belt...................

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
In that case then yes I agree with you. Reread my first post, I clearly said it works for ME. What may work for fellows with longer shot options than me may be different. To be honest, I dont own a rifle that requires high X magnification in my opinion though Ive seen others that deem it necessary.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rost, a Conquest in 6x would be WELCOME! Have you compared an FX-II to the 42s? Just curious. I realize light varies on hunts, and have yet to miss out on a deer in poor light w/any 6x Leupold, 36/42, M8/FX, etc. Whatever I used the day I was squeezing off worked well. Knocked 2 down this past year on my Dakota 6BR, Fx-II in 36, very foggy morning.

I do like the sleek lines on the 36, but I hear that Leupold may come back with their 8x and higher fixed, perhaps 10x. I could definitely see an 8x42 in my future, w/fully coated optics. Had a 7.5x non ao, 42mm, and an 8x36 (VERY bright btw, as much as resolution in low light as anything else from M8 6x42 to 2.5-8x36 side by side at dusk).

If I were running a heavy bbl rifle for stand hunting deer, a 7.5 or 8x might get the nod. In sporters, the 6x36 just looks and feels right, I know their isn't 1.5 oz diff but it's just lean and works for me. The 42 has a slighty larger as E calls it, eyebox, but eye relief fore/aft and laterally is just fine w/36 IME.

If priced equal, the 42 would win. That weaver mentioned above is said to be a great optic, even w/I believe 38 obj.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
In that case then yes I agree with you. Reread my first post, I clearly said it works for ME. What may work for fellows with longer shot options than me may be different. To be honest, I dont own a rifle that requires high X magnification in my opinion though Ive seen others that deem it necessary.

Which is why I asked YOU,for the pics.............

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
Zeiss going fixed 6x,would nip some of their inherent scope design woes.

Assuming they gave eye-relief and tube length a thunk,as well as padded the ele erector's travel and flew .25" adjustable turrets..............

Could turn out nicely... but I bet they'll never listen....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 65BR
Rost, a Conquest in 6x would be WELCOME! Have you compared an FX-II to the 42s? Just curious. I realize light varies on hunts, and have yet to miss out on a deer in poor light w/any 6x Leupold, 36/42, M8/FX, etc. Whatever I used the day I was squeezing off worked well. Knocked 2 down this past year on my Dakota 6BR, Fx-II in 36, very foggy morning.

I do like the sleek lines on the 36, but I hear that Leupold may come back with their 8x and higher fixed, perhaps 10x. I could definitely see an 8x42 in my future, w/fully coated optics. Had a 7.5x non ao, 42mm, and an 8x36 (VERY bright btw, as much as resolution in low light as anything else from M8 6x42 to 2.5-8x36 side by side at dusk).

If I were running a heavy bbl rifle for stand hunting deer, a 7.5 or 8x might get the nod. In sporters, the 6x36 just looks and feels right, I know their isn't 1.5 oz diff but it's just lean and works for me. The 42 has a slighty larger as E calls it, eyebox, but eye relief fore/aft and laterally is just fine w/36 IME.

If priced equal, the 42 would win. That weaver mentioned above is said to be a great optic, even w/I believe 38 obj.

I have peered through others 36s... and after buying a used 42, I'll never spend the jack on a 36. Can it work, yeah, but like I said, why handicap.. we have all kinds of game, it comes out at all times and for that reason I want as bright a scope as I can get.. I've used a couple of Z variables on 5x to kill black hogs at night, at under 100 yards, with bright stars and not more than 1/4 moon.... you won't do that with a 6x36L...

I simply don't want to get left holding the bag at some point, over a bit of money. Its not like hunting is cheap or anything. Or that I don't have time invested in it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
You have no critters slain with high X magnification,under your belt...................

here is the deal... I've killed with IRON sights at 500 plus and not had any issues. Killing or hitting something at 500 yards give or take doesnt' take a lot. And if you can identify the animal you are after and then plug it, its good. I've used more X and continue to do so at times... specialty issues like longer head shots, I just prefer to see how much movement I have and see more betta where its going to go or if I'm going to attempt it. The other issue is moving animals in a herd and picking a certain one or a legal one... I tried 2.5 x on an AR for a couple of years, and then realized while its easy as hell to hit one... you could make a mistake as things fall into place. I even ran a red dot for some time and again, hitting was not an issue... So there are times and places for more X... but its not because I can't kill what is way out there with a fixed lower X... its due to target identification....and verification before the shot.

I"d have to say that at some point... and I"m still sorta waiting Zeiss out a bit... most all my average rifles will wear fixed 6x. but there are a handful of mags and specialty guns that will wear more in the way of a variable for specific chores.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rost, I agree for your hunting you want the brightest you can have, an 8x56? LOL. Not a bad low light scope, albeit bulky perhaps.

The 6x42 S&B and Swaro are also very good glass, but I have to tell you the newest FX series have some DARNED good glass IMHO.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The 6x42 is akin' to cheatin',which is about how I like things.

The transition from bino or spotter to scope,had best be second nature...if it isn't,you are pizzing up a very long rope.

Increased X's don't shorten that rope...............(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
....Killing or hitting something at 500 yards give or take doesnt' take a lot....The other issue is moving animals in a herd and picking a certain one or a legal one.....its easy as hell to hit one... you could make a mistake as things fall into place...but its not because I can't kill what is way out there with a fixed lower X... its due to target identification....and verification before the shot.

Excellent point that is often left out of the discussion. Over the years I've nailed "the wrong one" or pulled the trigger on one I wouldn't have if I had a better look at his headgear while using lower powered scopes. I hit them all quite easily. This is definitely one of the reasons I like higher powered scopes these days--I like to get a really, really good look at something before I press the trigger.

And of course as I always mention seeing mirage, etc, to help judge the wind can sometimes be a big help on long shots.

I know 6X is it for many on this board and it is a good all around hunting magnification...but the end-all, be-all, ultimate long range hunting scope? Not hardly.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,184
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.