Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Someone doing spotting/judging work through his riflescope...is pizzing up a very long rope...............

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Someone digging into his pack for a spotting scope when he should be killin' is "pizzing up a very long rope."

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Couldn't even fathom that happening,but admittedly alotta things are easy for me...that ain't for others............

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thing here... and stick knows this... we often have to gauge an animal to know its legal first, and then 3-4 bucks following a doe, go behind brush as you figure it out... with a low powered scope... your deer was #2 in line following the doe... you better NOT shoot #2 coming out by number.. you better verify.

Interestingly enough... 2.5 X or even 4X usually can't quite do it reliably for our regs.... but 6x is starting to be enough.

Now on my longest(to me) shot of 802 so far, it was a caribou, and it wasn't moving in a herd, by itself etc... so even though it was farther off, and I had a variable and used the 14x on it because it was there... 6x would have easily sufficed as when I lay down to shoot it was on 4.5x... and that would have been enough actually.... but I didn't look the gift in the mouth.....

6.5... I don't go the 8x 56mm simply because to my eyes a 5 or 6x is brighter when comparing X vs visible light. I have a 30 mm tube Zeiss variable... not a conquest either... Diatal IIRC... and its 3-12... for max light I still end up at 5-6 x... not at 8.. And its not for want of trying either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My bino's have never cost me a Critter,though they surely have rewarded me with many victims..............

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
admittedly alotta things are easy for me...that ain't for others............

If you need another tool to identify the correct deer to shoot, and I don't, things are quite a bit easier for me.
My bino's have never cost me a Critter,though they surely have rewarded me with many victims..............

Mine haven't cost me any, of course I use mine to find the game. Though plenty of the critters I have taken yours would have cost you had you been looking through them during the precious few seconds you had for the shot.

Of course you probably instead would have just shot one of the smaller bucks and in your blissful glee patted yourself on the back about what a great shot you made with your 6X....

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Always disconcerting,to read of another boob on a hillside,flailing his rifle about as an observation device...undoubtedly with one in the pipe.

Gets pretty funny quick though,when they stretch to justify same.................

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Binos.... this ain't about binos...its about scopes... wanna talk binos we can do another deal....

Of course I understand that its hard to comprehend the possibility of seeing 5-10 bucks in a group milling through brush and have to actually pick out the right one. Most folks are glad to see 1-2 here and there. Heck if I was lucky I could have a big oats patch where one buck would come out all by himself and you could kill him without a scope and no issues.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Killing good Critters,starts/ends with bino's.

I've seen brush and Bucks..................(grin)

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A few days ago I had 15+ bucks feeding in a circle, racks down, below me. It would have been retarded to use a rifle scope to try to sort them out. My 10x bino's and my 15-45x Zeiss Spotter got the job done perfectly, and I only pointed my rifle at the one I killed. 6x42 scope.

After the shot and they had scattered a bit.. The bigger ones had run off.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Calvin
A few days ago I had 15+ bucks feeding in a circle, racks down, below me. It would have been retarded to use a rifle scope to try to sort them out. My 10x bino's and my 15-45x Zeiss Spotter got the job done perfectly, and I only pointed my rifle at the one I killed. 6x42 scope.

After the shot and they had scattered a bit.. The bigger ones had run off.
[Linked Image]

I agree...And I believe I've been over this with rost before, and I just dropped the subject..But it goes like this..If your head hunting, Bino's for finding, spotter for judging, rifle scope for killing. if you want to use a rifle scope for all three, or even two of those jobs, it speaks volumes, and needs no further information to get a clear picture of "trophies" collected by said hunter.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Some folks do their best,to make easy schitt difficult.

I'm the antithesis of that train of "thought".............

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Got a pic of the one you killed Calvin?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Some folks do their best,to make easy schitt difficult.

I'm the antithesis of that train of "thought".............

Had a kid come over last night.. He went up one of the best mountains opening weekend. He stomped across the prime habitat the night before it opened, doing some "scouting". The next morning he was baffled that he didn't find one deer up on that mountain. He come over stating "The deer aren't in the alpine!". I just smiled and nodded.. I asked him if he has binos, and he just gave me a confused look..

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Tom264
Got a pic of the one you killed Calvin?

Wearing my "Holy" UA sweats. Those things have some miles on them.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Very nice congrats.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Had to hang a pic with Anthony in it, since he packed half of it out.. I'm getting spoiled. Anthony runs the spotter, I run binos, and the little one runs my range finder out of juice.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
If your eyes aren't bolted to bino's,you are simply handing out Escape Passes..................

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If your eyes aren't bolted to bino's,you are simply handing out Escape Passes..................

I remember you hammering that home with me, back in the day when I'd go a whole hunting season and only see a handful of dink bucks.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My mantra has always been: "there's a HOG hiding somewhere...I just gotta find him"...................

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.