Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Nail
"Got my fancy..uh..300 chit mag over there"....TFF and classic

Nail

Isn't that what the S in WSM stands for???

(grin)

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Isn't that what the S in WSM stands for???

(grin)

Dude.....excellent! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you approve!

(grin)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rosco1
if you want to use a rifle scope for all three, or even two of those jobs, it speaks volumes, and needs no further information to get a clear picture of "trophies" collected by said hunter.

From around 4 pages ago...Are you getting a parallax free picture now Jon? The fact that you were pegged from the get go, is only lost on you. (pun intended)

Now your gonna hand out LR shooting lessons, as if we needed them..But keep guessing if it makes you feel better, I've a suspicion things will only get worse.

Last edited by rosco1; 08/01/10.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
6x footage from last week.

[Linked Image]

Trick shooter!! 300 chit mag, love it!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice video sam!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sam, nice little movie! Can I come over and play?

BTW where did you get that POS sling?........grin!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks fellars!

Pat, I found that crappy sling laying in the road ditch...(grin)

We really do need to meet up and blast the steel soon. Once the weather and work cool off, gongs beware!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nice video Sam. cool beans

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was shooting my 6x36LR in bad light the other night at 500 yards. Worked fine. However, a little extra magnification is never a bad thing. 8x, or better yet 10x, as long as they're attached to good glass, makes things a bit easier. But 6x is more than doable...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
You couldn't even begin to compare what I do and shooting a deer out of a field in your wildest dreams.

You're right, you never would have gotten close enough in this "field."
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best stick to hillsides where animals stand at rock throwing distances.

Your animals are not even in the same ballpark as the one I pictured.

The animal you posted didn't qualify. The request was not for animals taken at muzzle loader distances. I didn't post ones like this:

[Linked Image]

Or this

[Linked Image]
(mine was 2nd from the right)

Because they didn't answer the request. The ones posted were taken from a distance and specifically being able to ID them as fitting my minimum requirements at the time was helpful because if I had needed to set up a spotting scope to do that there would not have been time. That was the point.

That's what was asked, so that's what was posted. Pretending to miss the point by quibbling over where I set the minimum requirements is a very transparent concession.

It was clearly mentioned earlier in a hunt I'll have the bar set higher. As the deadline approaches I'll lower it even more as required to fill the freezer.

Anybody who thinks that makes somebody a "bad hunter" really needs to grow up.

Of course a grownup would acknowledge the original points instead of changing the subject at every turn.

The original point Rost made about identifying the right animal, legal animal, acceptable animal, etc, had nothing to do with counting B&C points, "scoring" trophies to impress SCI buddies--obviously that's a whole different ballgame. Pretending that was the claimed capability disingenuous.

The fact that you have 20-30 hunters in a mile radius shows that you are one lazy "hunter". I suggest you buy a pair of boots and a backpack.

This is really rich. The guy in Alaska, taking the number literally, will call people down here names and tell us it's our fault there are other hunters. If you think it's as easy as taking a stroll in order to find yourself in pristine hunting country on public land where there are actually animals you can hunt with over the counter tags and nobody else will be there, please do cough up some GPS coordinates as many here would love to hear of your super secret hunting preserves 10 million people haven't already discovered.

Here's where I'll be hunting in a couple months:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's a nice "field." I call it the Beartooths. Packed in miles from the nearest trailhead. Will we be the only ones there? Not a chance in hell. Will there be any elk there? Maybe. Maybe not. Hope for the right weather. That's about all one can do in the area without paying big bucks to some outfitter who has a bunch herded onto some ranch somewhere.

But of course you deal with all the same stuff up there, right? So you're in perfect position to call hunters down here who find things a bit crowded "lazy." Uh huh. That'll go over real well.

Now with all those diversions out of the way (why is it I answer all your challenges but you answer none of mine?), maybe we can get back to the subject. You've done a good job backing away from having to defend your claims by changing the subject every which way, but you're running out of rope.

None of any of that adds a shred of support to your contention that 6X is the best choice for long range. That being able to see much better through the scope couldn't ever, possibly, in any way, for any reason, be of any use or offer any advantage whatsoevAr!

Focus. Concentrate on your side of the argument. Now attempt to defend it with some sort of logic and experience. Oops, I'll give you a pass on the last one for now, just try and make a logical argument, that'd be a start.

Which brings us back to the poor fellow who asked the question in the first place and was hoping for some help instead of a little stick swinging contest:

Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I'm thinking about adding a turret to my Leupold 6x, but was thinking it might not be enough xs to make it worth the expense. Can the 6x get me to 5-600 yards for big game hunting?

I'm sorry for the way this thread turned out. Any time somebody actually has the balls to disagree with Big Stick and his 'Swingers in public, this is the result. Logic, reason and experience need not apply, the argument goes to who can throw the insults the fastest. That's why few ever do it on this website.

Hopefully you've been able to pick up some info through all the childishness. In short, yes, a 6X can certainly get you to that range. It's certainly enough to hit big game animals at that distance if you're well practice. Also check out my comments in the 3-9X thread.

However, the vast, vast, majority of us who do a lot of shooting at really long range prefer to use higher powered scopes for a multitude of reasons, many of which were described in this thread. So if you want to get serious about LR shooting, you may consider selling the 6X to a Campfire Cult member here and putting your money toward a higher powered scope.

I wouldn't blame you if you can't decide based upon this thread. I encourage you to not take my word for it, but solicit opinions elsewhere--where there is more than one or two loudmouths who actually do it. The campfire is really not the best place to find this type of information for obvious reasons. Sites like long range hunting will have hundreds who can offer such advice based on experience which will give you a better picture than picking the winner of a couple loudmouths.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another question for you Calvin, that you'll hopefully not ignore.

Isn't virtually every single scope you own a Leupold 6X42? Tell me, what higher powered higher quality scopes have you used extensively? Any?

If none, how do you know what you're missing? How can you be offering opinions on what's best? How can you have any clue what's the best when all you've ever known is the Luppy 6X42?

That'd explain some things though....as it does with our resident focusing expert.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know what the game is here... watched and played many times... its all in fun....

But it does piss me off when folks start comparing what they have for hunting, and what others have for hunting... Many different venues there really...

And sometimes its almost impossible to get closer...yet I've killed from about as close as anyone.... 3 steps twice and both with recurves... and not as far as anyone... but hair over 800 as a max so far.

The deal is you make the best of what you have... its no trick to seperate a B/C buck from a midget with a 6x... but here we have some deer that need to be taken out of the gene pool and we have this 13 inch rule.... I currently have a 4.5 yo by guess... thats sporting a nice 7 point rack thats crap..... There are other 8s that are very similar... I need to cull the 7 before he breeds any more.... but to shoot an 8 would be very easy in the melee of the rut or even simply moving through the brush.. out in the open pasture.... not that big of a deal generally.... but I can't control when and where I see them.

But then if some folks can't have their fun... And of course if 6x is end it all... why do you have scopes with more X than that? We've seen the pictures..... grins.

The very worst is around a campfire and not on a damn keyboard... everyone here basically is in the same book... maybe not the same page but the same book. And FWIW extra power for the type of hunting I"ve done... has never been a handicap... now there have been a few times on MZ hunts where we were in thicker stuff..... a fixed 16x would have sucked....

In the end though, I"ll take the best binocs and spotter I can get....and follow that with the best scope I can get.. but the power isn't that big of a factor.... though I have preferences for situations....and lastly the rifle can be teh worst POS really... its only function is to send one good shot.... that could really be a tuned up H/R single shot for all practical purposes... while that also wouldn't be my choice, thats the descending order I"d spend money in... Binocs, spotter, rifle scope, rifle....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JonA
Another question for you Calvin, that you'll hopefully not ignore.

Isn't virtually every single scope you own a Leupold 6X42? Tell me, what higher powered higher quality scopes have you used extensively? Any?

If none, how do you know what you're missing? How can you be offering opinions on what's best? How can you have any clue what's the best when all you've ever known is the Luppy 6X42?

That'd explain some things though....as it does with our resident focusing expert.

I can't believe you typed all those words, just to prove you are a [bleep] hunter and you really don't have the slightest clue as to what you are talking about. Doesn't it bother you that other western state hunters kill quality animals on a regular basis, and the you can pull out of your ass is some dinks killed in a sea of other hunters? If I were you, I'd start rethinking how I was doing things.

Took inventory this morning. Do I like 6x42's? Yep. My safe is dominated by them, and I dare you to find a [bleep] rifle in my pile of 6x42'd rifles. And yes, I've owned/own other scopes. I give them to the kids in town to borrow, as I don't have much use for them.

I'd take any of my rifles, over your current abortion.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why dont you just wrap that pile o [bleep] up in a bed sheet and send it to kansas... smile

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The title of the thread is: 6x scope for longish range". Lets see how many 6x scopes Jon is running, to give him an opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jon A. is a first rate [bleep] much like J.O. Not worth the time........

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Found my 7-08 Ti sitting in the back of the safe without a scope on it.. How did that happen?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Jon A. is a first rate [bleep] much like J.O. Not worth the time........

For some reason I keep thinking about Elmer Fudd..

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Weird...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 46 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.