B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Team Savage Takes National Title, Breaks 1,000-yard Record

Link: http://www.savagearms.com/news/article/?id=2K5nTzegQ

This list of long-range events Team Savage has won recently is getting almost as long as the distances they shoot at.

They recently added the 2010 F T/R National Championship to that list by taking the team competition in grand fashion. The won both the 600 and 1,000 yard events, establishing an new 1,000-yard record of 778-21X.

Darrell Buell of Damascus, OR; John Weil of Welches, OR; Monte Milanuk of Wenatchee WA and Stan Pate of Milwaukie, OR made the trip to Sacramento, CA to represent Savage Arms. The competition featured some of the best talent and most expensive custom rifles from around the Country. But, once again, those expensive custom guns were no match for four skilled marksmen armed with stock Savage Model 12 rifles.

"We continue to be thrilled with the winning results from Team Savage. It says a lot about them and it says a lot about the rifles," Savage VP of Sales & Marketing Brian Herrick said. "We're not trying to tell anybody that they can just buy a Savage and shoot like Darrell, John, Monte and Stan, but it should be fairly obvious by now that shooting stock Savage rifles isn't holding these guys back at all."

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's what I'm talking about.

I notice those advocating out of the box remingtons are silent on you post.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
308's always do their best,when only 308's are in the "race"............

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ImitatedOften
308's always do their best,when only 308's are in the "race"............

Which means what?

John Stark.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Any/all 308's,have a much tougher hill to climb...when the chambering isn't a mandate.

Which is why they are typically swept beneath such rugs...and why even the 223 becomes a greedy first choice in comparison.........

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These guys obviously aren't using a factory barrel because the one I replaced had a big, crooked chamber, and the bore looks like it was cut with a dull chisel.

If you think the barrels they used are factory, ask them if you can borescope it. whistle

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've had some good Salvage tubes................

B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by FC363
These guys obviously aren't using a factory barrel because the one I replaced had a big, crooked chamber, and the bore looks like it was cut with a dull chisel.

If you think the barrels they used are factory, ask them if you can borescope it. whistle

I have seen off the shelf Savages (12 series) shot sub one inch groups at 300 yards with good handloads.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beating custom barrels, at 1000yds., with one of THEIR factory chambered tubes? laugh laugh laugh

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
What about "stock Savage Model 12 rifles" isnt understandable?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

You had a factory model 12 in 308 with a crooked chamber, or some old savage at some time in the past with a crooked chamber?

If your comment is not about a new Savage, its a bit irrelevant, I think.

The QA/QC on the new Savage rifles is pretty good.

John Stark.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One of the guys on "Team Savage" is my friend, neighbor and sometime shooting pard, Monte.

He'll show anyone who cares that he's shooting a factory Savage barrel. I'm pleased he's doing so well - yes, he has other custom rifles with match grade barrels, but the Savage has shot remarkably well for him. Time to time he shows up on 24 Hour Campfire, maybe he'll address this.

Regards, Guy

B
BMT Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

I picked up one of those "single Subject" gun mags last year.

I think it was titled "Long Range Shooting" or some such.

They had a product review of the Savage target rifle in 308.

The author shot five 5-shot groups with 155 amaxs. Average group Size at 500 yards was under ONE INCH.

The author was almost apologizing for publishing that number, but it was true, and he had photos of all five groups.

Spooky accurate.

BMT

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here are some Savage F/TR groups.

155g Berger's, RL 15
[Linked Image]

155g Bergers, (bottom group .223)
[Linked Image]

155g Berger's (bottom group .223)
[Linked Image]

5 shot 1000y group with 155g Berger's
[Linked Image]

600 yard group with 155g Berger's
[Linked Image]

My brother's will shoot!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'm sure you are stirring the pot a little. I recently came around on Savages. I like traditional hunting rifles and think Savages are ugly (Tikkas are uglier). I recently decided I wanted a tactical style bolt action and bought a Savage Precision Carbine. My first trip to the range was yesterday. I loaded 4 different bullets/weights with TAC and all of them shot 1/2 inch at a 100 yards.

I'm a believer now. I think Savages represent a great value with tremendous accuracy. Any other tactical/target style rifles I buy will be Savages.

Scott
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm with Scott

Beauty is as beauty does.

John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No, not stirring the pot. I have a Savage .308 with the 20" barrel, and it does have 1 load that shoots well, but only 1, and it's really picky about that one. The chamber is crooked, so it only shoots when you FL size the brass, and seat the SMK 175's into the lands. Any jump at all, or neck size cases, or a powder other than IMR 4064, and it just throws up.

It's not the only Savage I have seen with the scope mount holes drilled crooked also. So, it's hard for me to believe that they are using a stock rifle. Now, if they have taken a blueprinted action, with a carefully chambered barrel, Then I could see it being a shooter. Chambering a rifle with a pilotless reamer doesnt work too well.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No, not stirring the pot. I have a Savage .308 with the 20" barrel, and it does have 1 load that shoots well, but only 1, and it's really picky about that one. The chamber is crooked, so it only shoots when you FL size the brass, and seat the SMK 175's into the lands. Any jump at all, or neck size cases, or a powder other than IMR 4064, and it just throws up.

It's not the only Savage I have seen with the scope mount holes drilled crooked also. So, it's hard for me to believe that they are using a stock rifle. Now, if they have taken a blueprinted action, with a carefully chambered barrel, Then I could see it being a shooter. Chambering a rifle with a pilotless reamer doesnt work too well.

Not sure why you are even commenting on this thread when you are not even shooting a Savage F/TR rifle; the topic of the thread.

What is your experience with the F/TR rifle?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, so now I have to have the exact model to talk about it. whistle

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
there conter partneer stevens 200 are great rifles also an group like savages i have them

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.