Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4309809 08/08/10
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've never seen the topic posted down here, but I'm wondering how many handgun hunters carry cold? By cold I'm meaning no round in the chamber or under a hammer. That would mean a full magazine in an auto loader is fine, but with an empty chamber, and with a wheel gun no round under the hammer and maybe an empty cylinder chamber on the next one up, or maybe not. Anyway, how do you go in the field?

I'm just gonna assume those who carry concealed do so hot. If not, chime in and set me straight.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Why would you carry cold? I can think of no good reasons.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For handgun hunting for big game, I use a T/C Contender, A Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, and a S&W Model 29. The Contender is carried loaded and hammer un-cocked, of course. Both the revolvers are carried loaded full-up. I see no need for an empty chamber/charge hole under the hammer or the next on up for either of them. I don't hunt with centerfire auto pistols.

Fur CCW, I carry hot.

The replys to your questions ought to be interesting.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Safety is the reason usually put forth by the Alaskan and Western hunters as it concerns rifle carry. Cold carry might be purpose defeating in ccw mode, but for hunting could be as effective as with a rifle, though spooked game when a slide was racked could spoil the fun.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RickyD
I've never seen the topic posted down here, but I'm wondering how many handgun hunters carry cold? By cold I'm meaning no round in the chamber or under a hammer. That would mean a full magazine in an auto loader is fine, but with an empty chamber, and with a wheel gun no round under the hammer and maybe an empty cylinder chamber on the next one up, or maybe not. Anyway, how do you go in the field?

I'm just gonna assume those who carry concealed do so hot. If not, chime in and set me straight.
Always hot. As for a revolver, in the old days of Colt Single Action Armies it made sense to carry with an empty chamber under the hammer, but those days are long past. There is no longer any reason (unless you're carrying a SAA or a clone) to carry any revolver with an empty chamber under the hammer.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NEVER carry ANY handgun cold, just plain silly.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Empty chamber on a CCW is a dead man's gun.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If it makes you feel better to carry a revolver on a empty cylinder the only real damage you are doing is cheating yourself out of a round of ammo.

If you carry a semi-auto for self protection with just a loaded magazine just remember that you will be the first to die.

I carry a pistol for self protection and always fully loaded.

Just my opinion.

Dink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DINK
If it makes you feel better to carry a revolver on a empty cylinder the only real damage you are doing is cheating yourself out of a round of ammo.
You mean, of course, "empty chamber." The cylinder is what rotates the chambers, lining them up, in turn, with the barrel. You modern cops need a revolver primer. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

The Israeli' would disagree with you. They often carry with an empty chamber and it doesn't slow them down too much

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

The Israeli' would disagree with you. They often carry with an empty chamber and it doesn't slow them down too much

It's still an unnecessary risk. During extreme stress, you could easily screw it up. Why take the chance? I also notice that in step two they are losing valuable time unnecessarily. A good chunk of one second that could easily mean the difference between life and death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot along side Israeli soldiers and they do just fine.

The reality is that 99.99% of the time its not a speed draw contest and the most dangerous "delay" occurs as the shooter accesses the situation and decides whether he is going to use deadly force. Bascially folks freeze.

The main argument against carrying cold like that is if one arm is dissabled before the slide is racked back, but again they train around that..

The few times I carried a pistol for "real" we carried Condition 3 and only went to Condition 1 when shooting was imminent. We had no choice in the matter as it was SOP's..

Last edited by Pete E; 08/08/10.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've hunted tree squirrels occasionaly with Ruger MkII and would not carry holstered hot but its hot if on stand or stalking with gun in hand.

Other wise all other handguns are hot.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The few times I carried a pistol for "real" we carried Condition 3 and only went to Condition 1 when shooting was imminent. We had no choice in the matter as it was SOP's..
I believe it's also SOP in the United States armed forces, short of special elite units.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

The reality is that 99.99% of the time its not a speed draw contest and the most dangerous "delay" occurs as the shooter accesses the situation and decides whether he is going to use deadly force. Bascially folks freeze.

The main argument against carrying cold like that is if one arm is dissabled before the slide is racked back, but again they train around that..

Assesses

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am usually going to be full of chicken fried steak, gravy, dinner rolls & tea when the need arises for my CCW so "cocked, locked & ready to rock" works for me.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

When I was in the Army we carried a .45 with an empty chamber.
If you get yourself in a situation where you get caught with your pants on the ground you probably don't have time to draw your weapon either.
I had a friend who could rack the slide with the pistol in the holster one handed.
It is possible to be carrying cocked and locked and accidentally bump off the safety with some holsters.
My feeling is if you have time to draw you have time to chamber a round. I had to chamber a round once when my partner was searching a vehicle and I had several people face down on the gravel. When you chamber a round with a 1911 at night out in the boondocks peoples eyes can get pretty big all of a sudden! smirk
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I am usually going to be full of chicken fried steak, gravy, dinner rolls & tea when the need arises for my CCW so "cocked, locked & ready to rock" works for me.

Yeah, I can't see going cold on a ccw either. Criminitly, I'd have to drop my fatback biscuit (with extra fatback) in order to chamber the gun.

Can't see that happening anytime soon.

Besides, I may get shot in my biscuit arm, and then I couldn't rack the action. Where would that get me?

As far as the M29 for hunting, I actually do carry cold chamber on that one. It's never taken me more than two shots to take care of bizness anyway.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

The reality is that 99.99% of the time its not a speed draw contest

In a civillian setting in the U.S.,.. you'll only realize that you need a gun *after* the goblin has already produced one.

You better be quick, your weapon better be quicker, you better have a plan formulated beforehand, and you better hope that the goblin doesn't.

Any defensive handgun I'll be using will require nothing more than a trigger pull for it's first shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All the rationalization defending an empty chamber is just that.

No matter what you say, it's still an extra step that you can avoid. Any number of things can happen to make that step go too slowly or not a all.

Since it's not necessary, why test fate? I don't work for the Israeli Army, or the US Army for that matter, so I can carry my gun any way I please, and I'll be damned if I'm going to hand any advantage at all to someone I might need to use it on.

The reality is that 99.99% of the time its not a speed draw contest and the most dangerous "delay" occurs as the shooter accesses the situation and decides whether he is going to use deadly force. Bascially folks freeze. ..

Your logic is backwards here Pete. If the gun is coming out, a CCW holder has already decided deadly force is warranted. But to carry on with your argument, do you want someone who is prone to freezing to have to go through the extra step of making his gun ready to fire? Seems like a bad plan to me.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 43 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.