-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sonnen was up on the scorecards 40-36,40-35 and 40-34 going into the final round.Sonnen has always gotten in trouble with submissions.He got tired,sat up in Anderson's guard a little too long,and got caught.He's got nothing to be ashamed of.That was an absolutley incredible,spectacular fight.No one else has even been able to touch Anderson Silva,and he made Anderson look like an idiot for 23+ minutes.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I thought the fight was spectacular, but thought the stoppage was too soon. It was a tentative single tap, the ref should have let it continute. Yeah the triangle was tight, but who knows. Silva got his azz beat for 4 rounds and 3+ minutes. I would like to see this one again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stoppage was fine.I don't think Chael was complaining about the tap,but the fact that Anderson started yanking on his arm after Rosenthal stepped in.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Absolutely epic fight,Sonnen played it almost perfect till the end there. I was impressed that he managed to rock Silva on his feet a couple times, didn't really expect that. The stoppage was legit,although I felt bad for Sonnen to lose like that when he had fought such a good fight for so long. He definitley showed what it takes to beat Silva and that it can indeed be done.
Nelson took a hell of a beating but showed incredible heart to stay in there and keep fighting. I think Dos Santos was at a bit of a loss as to how to get this guy to quit.
Struve also pulled victory from the jaws of defeat,although that bottom lip is going to be ugly for some time to come.
Fitch/Alves went pretty much as anticipated, with Fitch getting the takedowns and grinding out a win. Neither fighter took much damage in hte fight,and I really don't see that either one is in position to take on GSP again. Of course Alves is pretty rusty and had trouble making weight,so if he gets it together again he may look much better next time.
All in all I thought it was a good night of fights, really solid card.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just finished watching the post-fight press conference.Sonnen says his heart is broken,but the better man won tonight and that Anderson Silva is a true champion.He said he respects Anderson and wishes him no ill will,but if the commisioner would sanction it he'd fight him again tonight. LMAO

He also says he wants to coach against Anderson on The Ultimate Fighter,which would be a brilliant idea.

Brian.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[bleep]!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Honestly,after watching Anderson Silva get dropped by Chael Sonnen on the feet tonight,I don't know if he beats Vitor Belfort.Anderson is saying he had a rib injury,but this guy never got hurt by a punch in the last 10 years,and now he's getting dropped by Chael Sonnen?A guy with no standup abilities whatsoever?A rib injury doesn't suddenly make you get hurt by a guy with almost zero power in his hands,when in the past you're able to take clean power shot from Dan Henderson (the hardest hitter in the division) and not even blink an eye.

I think Anderson got old overnight,like Roy Jones Jr did.If Chael Sonnen was able to hurt Anderson Silva tonight,I
shudder to think what would happen against Vitor Belfort.If Vitor Belfort lands clean on Anderson Silva,the fairy tale is over.

Brian.

Last edited by WheelchairBandit; 08/08/10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's an interesting statistic-Anderson Silva was hit with 289 strikes from Chael Sonnen.In his previous 11 UFC fights,Anderson had only been hit with 208 strikes combined.

If that's not a moral victory for Sonnen,I don't know what is.

Brian.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Watching that interview makes Chael come off as the smartest guy in the room. Man, he is articulate! I cannot remember any other person in any form of fighting that can speak that clearly. It is pretty impressive.

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
When you snatch a loss from the jaws of victory, moral victory is all that's left. I think it still goes into the "L" column,Brian!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Honestly,after watching Anderson Silva get dropped by Chael Sonnen on the feet tonight,I don't know if he beats Vitor Belfort.Anderson is saying he had a rib injury,but this guy never got hurt by a punch in the last 10 years,and now he's getting dropped by Chael Sonnen?A guy with no standup abilities whatsoever?A rib injury doesn't suddenly make you get hurt by a guy with almost zero power in his hands,when in the past you're able to take clean power shot from Dan Henderson (the hardest hitter in the division) and not even blink an eye.

I think Anderson got old overnight,like Roy Jones Jr did.If Chael Sonnen was able to hurt Anderson Silva tonight,I
shudder to think what would happen against Vitor Belfort.If Vitor Belfort lands clean on Anderson Silva,the fairy tale is over.

Brian.

While I am not in total agreement about him getting old, I do have to say that thought crossed my mind as well. It clearly did not seem like the "Superman" we're used to seeing in the ring. He may have just gotten the "cocky" beat out of him as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit

Brian.

Agreed, I think Belfort beats him, I think Sonnen beats him in the remach also, whichever comes first. Roy Jones Jr got beat, so will Silva.

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
270LightingBLR,

Jones is going to get schooled by an old man of MMA. He is used to someone bobbing and throwing punches. He is not used to a guy bobbing and going for a takedown.

Normally I don't get two PPV in one month. This will be an exception.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you by chance thinking of Randy Couture and James Toney?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
270LightingBLR,

Yep. You are a good man for correcting me. blush

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alright, got my good deed for the week out of the way already!!! grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you noticed Anderson got caught by the left hook a few times and whats Vitor's best punch? Anderson clearly worked on his cardio for this fight but Chael beat the black off that boy. I'm still pissed. On another note we might have seen Hughs at his very best, when was the last time he dropped a dude with a left. Fitch was also at his best. Would be a pretty interesting fight between Kos and Fitch.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
270LightingBLR,

Don't forget. No good deed goes unpunished. Watch out this week!

Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I did not see the fight but I kept up with it on ESPN.com commentary. Man did I enjoy hearing how Silva was getting whipped! Too bad Sonnen got caught. I wish he would have punched Andersen out on the ground earlier in the fight.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1badf350, 260Remguy, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,904
Posts18,518,553
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.