Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Quiz: Does anyone know the name for the projectile inside the sabot?

Time's up. It's called a "flechette." Don't ask me how to pronounce it.

Fleh-shet' with the accent on the last syllable.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MZ5
Oddly, that symbol indicates the sound of the "a" in bad or cat. If both "a"s in the name are to be pronounced that way, then it's really not "GAIR-" at all.

It would be GAR-und. The u is the schwa sound. The schwa character is apparently not available in html. I tried it.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The schwa character is apparently not available in html. I tried it.

It's an almost unpronounceable slurred-over vowel � one of the most common phonemes in English, usually repreresented in pronunciation guides with an up-side-down lower-case e

like the 'a' in about
like the 'e' in taken
like the 'i' in pencil
like the 'o' in eloquent
like the 'u' in supply
like the 'y' in sibyl

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I once asked a student to give me the sound made by schwa. His hesitant response was, "Uh, uh, uh..." At this point I cut him off and told him that he had it correct the first time and that the second two responses were superfluous. I've always thought that it would help matters a great deal if the spelling/pronunciation of the word was schwuh instaed of schwa.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken,

I know what the schwa sound is. You're not the only one that paid attention in English class.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken,

I know what the schwa sound is. You're not the only one that paid attention in English class.

And you're not the only one on the forum besides me.

"Good enough" isn't.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MZ5
Oddly, that symbol indicates the sound of the "a" in bad or cat. If both "a"s in the name are to be pronounced that way, then it's really not "GAIR-" at all.

It would be GAR-und. The u is the schwa sound. The schwa character is apparently not available in html. I tried it.

No, the schwa sound is indicated by an upside down and backwards "e." The 'smiley' indicates what I wrote above.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MZ5
No, the schwa sound is indicated by an upside down and backwards "e."

Like I said, I know what the schwa sound is. And like I posted above, the schwa symbol (unside-down e) is not available to posters here on the forum, as far as I know. That's why I substituted the "u" with an explanation.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Ken,

Touch�! grin

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Ken,

Touch�! grin

I agree with the Aussie gun writer's signature line � What I offer is yours to keep, yours to use, yours to ignore. Your freedom to choose is what matters to me most.

That, of course, goes for each and every person here. There's no undertone of belligerence in Take it or leave it � just don't bitch about it.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Like I said, I know what the schwa sound is. And like I posted above, the schwa symbol (unside-down e) is not available to posters here on the forum, as far as I know. That's why I substituted the "u" with an explanation.

I see that I misunderstood what you meant; sorry about that. I thought you were referring to the roughly "u" shape above the "a" (that also can't be posted) founf in Hatcher's dscription of how the man introduced himself.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well, Since John Garand was a French-Canadian born in St-Remi just outside of Montreal, (if memory serves,) his actual name may have been Jean Cantius Garand (the final "nd" is silent and that last "a" would be a nasal a.) He moved to Connecticut at a yound age so his name probably changed from Jean to John to make it easier for the locals. The name Garand simply evolved from Gah-rahn to Gu-rand and that's what he would use.

Sabot is not pronounced 'say-boh'; think of sabotage, we do not pronounce it "say-boh-taj". They both start with sah-boh: sabot= sah-boh and sabotage = sah-boh-taj.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sabot = "[It]'s a bow." (Just omit the it).

(See, Big Redhead? I paid attention in French class, too � even though Miss Butler was a delectable distraction!)

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For our Boston members....

Car is pronounced car, not Ca.
Idea is pronounced idea, not idear.

Never for the life of me understood why they took the "r" off words that have it, and put it on words that don't. grin

now this new yorker is going to have some cuoffee wink

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One who really used to bug my dad was the TV anchor in Baltimore or Washington who brought us "the nooz at nyewn." (Who no doubt would've clipped and saved bales of kewpons if they'd enable him to drive his caah to Cuber.)

My old Navy buddy from Lon[g] Guyland Noo Yock never even tried to explain why I saw it was pronounced "I sorrit."

"Good enough" isn't.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
sabot = "[It]'s a bow." (Just omit the it).

(See, Big Redhead? I paid attention in French class, too � even though Miss Butler was a delectable distraction!)

Ken, that's very good. Now, are we talking about a ship or a present?

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It always bugs me when all of a sudden everyone agrees to gussie up the pronunciation of a word. Case in point would be tournament. It used to be plain old "turn-uh-munt", then Dickie Vee came along and now it's got to "toorn-uh-ment".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Mawige, mawidge is wat bwings us togever today. That bwessed awangement, a dweem wiven a dweem." - Prince's Bride.

"Have you da wing?"

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've wondered why so many pronounce infra-structure as
infa-structure. Has anyone else notice this when watching tv news?

Jim

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes I have, just as I notice every single time anyone either says or writes "manufacture" when they mean "manufacturer," or "meer" when they mean "mirror."

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,668
Posts18,493,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.