Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jim62
Tire blowouts are NOT exclusive of any partucular brand- no matter what some all knowing body shop dude says.

I would rather spend my $$ on an AMERICAN made product.

I agree. I'm leaning toward the Coopers.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had good luck with them (Coopers) in the past.

I recently put a set of Discoverer ATR's on my Ram 2500 Cummins. So far I'm happy, I've got 10,000 miles on them, some of that loaded pretty heavy and they still look almost new.

But I've also heard good things about the Yokohama.

Bill

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I love my Coopers. I got 40,000 miles on the GM factory tires that came on my truck. I got 80,000 miles on the first set of Cooper ATR tires. I have 30,000 on my second set so far and they are running good. They do require a rotation to keep from getting out of shape. I dont rotate my tires as often as I should, but if you dont rotate these, every 15,000 or so, they will get really bad.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Buy the Coopers, they're good tires and I've been run them for years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
Posted here to get more responses as I plan on buying in the next couple days.

Cooper Discoverer ATR vs Yokohama Geolander AT/S
Both LT285/75R16 D rated tires. Both have 50k mile warranty.

Cooper is American owned and made in USA. Yokohama are Japanese owned and don't know where they're made. Not a deal breaker but like to buy USA when feasible. Drive out prices are within $10 of each other.

Any technical/performance related reason to get one over the other?

What are you putting them on?

I have the Coopers on my Dodge 2500 and they are awesome!!! If I were putting a tire on a half ton truck or a lighter truck Imight go with the Hankook AT tires, I had those on my tundra and they were a great tire.

I have 45,000 miles on mt Cooper AT tires and I'm going to get another hunting season out of them

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by huntsonora

F250 CCSB 4wd w/ 7.3 PSD

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My dad has a set of the Geolanders on his diesel F350 and they have been fine tires. That said he could care less about the name on the tire(limited selection here) just as long as they're good in cactus and bouncin' around the hills.

I just put a set of Cooper S/T's on my F150. If they last as long as the old Revo AT's I'll be happy. The new Revo's look like a friggin' highway tire so I switched to the Coopers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just replaced Yoko's with Yoko's last month. I reckon whichever had the better sale would be one way to choose, they're both great.

Almost 60,000 miles on that old set.

All American

All the time
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had BFG T/A KO tires put on my Silverado this week. I had a set on my previous truck, they had 50K miles on them when I traded the truck in, and looked like they could go at least another 10K if not more. They were great tires, so I figured I would stick with what I know.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd stand in the line that supports the Coopers... great tire..

I've had Yokohamas and they didn't hold up as well...

I also support the guys who mention Michelin as the best...

I run those on all my cars, but my 4 Runner has a set of BF Goodrich Radial T/A Commercials on it......something like 60,000 on them so far..lotta life left...

I rotate them every 5K, like I do all my tires at Costco..

Costco doesn't carry the T/A Commercials anymore, so when these wear out, then I am going with Coopers, but that has to be outside of Costco..

Toyos are about the best when it comes to a Japanese made truck tire...

an unpronounceable name, but tires that are made in Finland for trucks are pretty darn good reputation around here...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire

an unpronounceable name, but tires that are made in Finland for trucks are pretty darn good reputation around here...

Would that be the Nokian Vativa, by any chance?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Crap. If you had just said that happened to you I might've thought just a bad tire, but the body shop guy figuring it was a Cooper based on the description....that's a little different. Who knows, maybe just a coincidence.

Just curious, don't you have a 3/4 ton Ford or something? Reason I ask is this is going on a 3/4 ton 4wd with the 7.3.

F350 1 ton, 4x4, 4 door super duty, 7.3 Powerstroke, circa 01....FWIW. Not saying I didn't have a fluke... but I was floored when I walked into the body shop...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of posters talking about 60k on Coopers. I ran Coopers years ago. They are a decent tire. Then again, there are Michelin's and there is everything else. I've gotten 100k out of Michelin's before. The service on them when bought at Sam's Club is superb too.

I'm fixin' to buy a set. The last set I bought were the first set of non-Michelin's I've bought in years. The Michelin's were near $1000 for four at the time and have since came back down a bit, last time I checked. I got Goodyear Wranglers instead. So far, so good. I will buy Michelin's this time though, unless they're inordinately high. No reason to fool with other brands.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Recently purchased the Yokohama for a ford 7.3 superduty. Tires were very soft. Scarry when pulling the horse trailer. I have a good dealer so he replaced with a new set of yokohoam thinking that perhaps it was a bad tire. Again very soft and squirly. Dealer drove the truck and agreed. It was not what you wanted when pulling trailer. Dealer replaced with the Cooper ATR and all things were good. Have about 10K on tires. Have done well in mud and earlier this year in the snow. Very pleased with the Cooper tires. Both where 10 ply tires at recommended air psi.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsonora

F250 CCSB 4wd w/ 7.3 PSD

I'll post this up for you. You decide.

Where I hunt & work I'm usually on dirt roads. Not really dirt, but sharp rocks & bad conditions. A GOOD set of 10 ply tires usually last me a maximum of 15,000 miles. So, I go through lots of tires....Usually 3 sets a year.

That is until I put THESE on my truck: http://www.treadwright.com

I use the Guard Dog load range E. I bought a set & have had ZERO flats & have had them 40k miles with no appreciable wear at all. Not even a rock chip. (Have a rancher friend that ran a set 80k miles.)
They are way less than what you'd regularly spend on a set of tires too. wink

If you spend more time off road than on a highway, it's the way to go. If not, they may not be for you. Just thought you guys that are hard core might like these. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I had the Coopers installed this morning. We'll see how they do...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the Discovers and put about 60K on them and was happy. Last year I replaced the with Cooper Zeon LTZ and have been extremely happy.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I just replaced a set of Bridgestone Duelers (original tires) on my Z that had 79,000 on them so anything will be tough to follow that act.

I used to know a guy who owned a tire shop and I asked him one day, all BS aside, what's the absolute best tire for the money? He immediately responded "Bridgestone. They're the best tires on earth."

Mind you, that was just one guy's opinion. However, given that he was in the tire business, and wasn't even a Bridgestone dealer, I think his opinion is entitled to some weight.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well maybe Coopers are the way to go. I just checked on a new set of Michelins for the pickup. $1000, mol. Dang that's high.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've been looking for a new set to replace the BFG Rugged Trails that have a bit over 40k on them. I may have found a smokin' deal on some Toyo open Country. Anybody using these?

Damn tires have really gone up lately. Especially E rated. I'd sure hate to be replacing 20 inchers, instead of 17.. Sheesh!

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.