Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gene - that electrical pump rifle really blows my mind. I suppose on long hunts you'd have to bring several electrical battery packs. Probably each one the size of a large moose quarter. Not surprised it didn't catch on. It's hard to picture the need for it - it's not like slide actions required a lot of effort to pump.

Don - good to hear you are keeping your eyes open on the road. Was there enough of that Standard Arms remaining to tell if it had nice figure in the butt as Doc Foster mentions? Oh, and was it a pump or semi-auto? Doc - I too have typically seen nice figure in the buttstocks of most Standards I have seen. I assume that when they purchased wood, they only bought high figure wood?

Still waiting for someone to post pictures of their Blake rifle.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boltman
Gene - did you see this link from Gary:

http://books.google.com/books?id=GE...=onepage&q=Blake%20rifle&f=false

It shows the mechanism quite well. They state this is the first magazine of its type. One wonders if Arthur Savage handled a blake rifle at one time. I think Blakes came into production in 1892 - so right in the vicinity of the Savage .30/40 prototype I believe. And, curiously enough, in .30/40.

Steve, If you scroll up from the Blake article there is on on the new Savage rifle. I wonder if those two fellas knew each other.

Looking through the rest of the magazine, above the savage article are some photos of the displays at the sportsmans show.

Father down in the ads are ads for spencers and Blakes, What a time to be a gun crank out east.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Well I am done looking at patents again for a while - several years ago when I first started doing it I found it more interesting than any books I had, it's still is! I found some more real interesting ones - none by Blake though.

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=a9p1AAAAEBAJ&dq=477666
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=dv91AAAAEBAJ&dq=481452
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=KhB2AAAAEBAJ&dq=483229

Steve, I also found a good one for your first 'project' buid from a patent - think you could handle a John Browning design to start??? Browning rifle design

Last edited by GeneB; 08/08/10.

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene, those are great and all 1892. Given the fact that this forum exists I guess that you could say that A.W. won the rotary magazine contest. Can only Wonder if any of them gave him inspiration.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gary - yes I agree that the existence of this forum is a great indicator of the design that prevailed and should be declared the winner smile

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
To add to the above, the 1899/99 is simultaneously a greater collector gun as well as a great hunter/shooter. I think of all the vintage rifles that are collected out there, Savage has the highest percentage of collectors that still shoot and hunt with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not so off topic after all. I do find it interesting that your collecting took you into these early repeaters.

How has the internet changed collecting for you. Gene and Fug Id like to know how it has changed it for you guys too.

Before the internet did you just watch the auction houses or was there a good ole boys phone network you where hooked into?

Remembering The 99
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gary -
I still know some guys who are very darned connected and they don't turn on a computer. They mainly travel around the country to shows and this is still a pretty good way to see what's out there. I would love to do that. Be a great retirement. See the country, meet great people and see a lot of guns. As much as I use the computer/internet, I'd much rather see the guns in the flesh.

By the way, it is kind of funny how we came around full circle and back to Savage smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know this thread won't die, but getting back to the model 14, I guess they did make a carbine version.

Did not know that until today. Never saw one, never even heard of one until I came across this.

http://merzantique.com/photo.php?id=2252_0_2_59_M36

Randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[/quote] Johno - I did get a chance to go over to gunsinternational.com and took a look at all the Remington 14's and 141's listed there. What they heck - do these sellers think they have Savages or what? I was surprised at how pricey most were. Puglisi's had a, "clean" one for around $2500, LeRoy Merz had some showing some wear for about $1700. There were lesser ones there as well but it sure looks like when a guy finds a decent one of these priced reasonable, he would be wise to pick it up. By the way, I was reminded how much I like the M14 carbine. They didn't make a carbine (that I can recall) in the M141. Also, I like the M14 and 1/2 carbine real well too, but I didn't see any examples listed. How often do run into any of these pumps down your way? [/quote]

Randy - I had mentioned my fondness for the Remington M14 Carbine several pages back. I had seen the one Merz had listed. It's a big price but you just don't see them very much anymore. I remember a time they would pop up every now and then, not any more. By the way, I'll bet everyone has learned something who has read this whole thread. There's been lots of stuff I sure didn't know. Everything from Remington M760's in .30 M1 Carbine and .22 Hornet, to all the patent stuff Gary and Gene posted smile

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not a carbine but a reasonable Model 14 and 1/2. Another piece I would like to have is a M14 and 1/2 carbine. This GA ad mentions a thumbnail sliding piece on the bolt and he described it as a, "release." My understanding is that for those rifles fitted with a sliding piece on the bolt - it was the safety rather than a release. I have handled several (decades ago) but not owned one. They are rare, add value and are quite desirable among collectors. A Model 14 and 1/2 carbine with the bolt safety is a very desirable collector piece smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here is a Model 14 and 1/2 carbine. Typical internet auction - he mentions the rifle has been reblued but also states it is, "100% original."

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=183023929

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll be darned - a saddle ring carbine in a M14 carbine. Probably can't letter the gun although I have minimal experience with lettering Remingtons. Going way back, I wrote Remington and they did provide me with some date of shipment information on a M08 in .35 (made in 1906), a M17 shotgun and a M721 in .300 H&H. Haven't messed with trying to letter anything Remington in more than 25 years.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181223338

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I'm still following fellas, don't have much to add. Just been a great ride.

Must due to run off topic again.

Going to start prepairing my vegetable garden for spring,this should now take us to TOMATOE STAKES

Johno

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oh no, tomato stake EG's shocked I shouldn't be too critical as I have many of them here including two "salesman's sample" tomato stakes. So, Johno, glad to hear you are still following along. I don't suppose you run into many fellows hunting with Blake rifles down there?

J
johno Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Have to confess my ignorance mate, i'd never heard of the Blake until this thread. Its been educational.

Suns out bugger the garden,get the quad trailer finished and go and chase some fallow deer tomorrow. Now thats a plan

Johno

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
"The Rifle in America" by Sharpe has 6+ pages on the Blake and I found a date for the patent! ....only 4 patents on firearms granted that day so very easy search! The year was one I had looked through several years ago and I did not save many patents for bolt actions. That patent led to a couple others.
Blake rifle
patent for magazine
updated rifle

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Johno:

How about a picture of a fallow with an HP?

Randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Gene - very interesting. It sure does seem as I look at these spool magazine patents that we aren't all that far off-topic. One of the interesting parts is that they were essentially detachable magazines. This has a lot to do with the fact that often when you find these rifles they are missing the magazines. I am not aware of an after-market manufacturer wink

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,433
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.