Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am a DIY kind of person. I was looking at Bass Pro for a cover scent, but i thought i might try to make a bottle myself. If you have a recipe you would like to share please post it for others(and me) to see.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Have you significant other piss in an empty olive jar just before menstruation.

If your significant other is a dude you are on your own.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Have you significant other piss in an empty olive jar just before menstruation.

If your significant other is a dude you are on your own.

You can try that first Steelhead. Sounds a bit stinky.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This is shaping up to be an interesting night...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hows that Ingwe?

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Actually thinking about trying to catch some skunk piss in midair and mix with some fresh gound up pine cones. Boil it down to a jell and use as a deoderent during deer season.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In order to replicate doe in heat scents you need to use your own feces. Because men are the opposite of women, the hormones are similar when using opposing excretions. This concoction can be used to confuse deer when you bottle your own fecal matter and THEN pee on it. It works great with both elk and deer. Trust, me I'm a biologist.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yes and another thing...

You ever heard of the "Still Steaming" scents?

You too can make your own right outta your treestand.....fresh all of the time.

Works too.

Winnie Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Those work great if you have to use the bathroom in your stand. No stands for me I am more of a spot and stalk guy.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Urine doesn't bother deer, but spit on anything and your done.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
This is shaping up to be an interesting night...

Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Hows that Ingwe?

Figured it out yet? laugh

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When I used to bother with such things, I used fennel seeds. Crush a few up. Deer would sniff at the general area. Kind of like they do with certain tree branches, tufts of grass, gut piles, and a bunch of other things that are already there. None of them will distract the deer enough to keep them there if they are down wind of you.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Put yourself in a cedar tree - it'll cover you all by it's own.

But really now - spray your boots with cover scent and don't touch anything with your hands going in and I'm usually good.

Spot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pine boughs, cedar, tobacco grass, horse/cow manure etc. I've seen guys that hunted Piney woods use turpentine on their boots to cover their scent.

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once upon a time I was slipping down an old logging road during muzzleload season and I saw a buck deer standing in the brush and looking at the road about a hundred yards from me. He finally went back the way he came without me getting a shot but as I got to the place he was looking at, there was a wet spot and some toilet paper. I thought to my self "A woman pizzed there". Later that day I saw a man and a woman come back down that same road and I figure she was the one to make that wet spot. I don't have a clue what cycle she was in. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's another twist. When I was bowhunting the most popular scent cover was "Cover Up." It was about ten bucks a bottle and the bottle was small. I could tell from my very close encounters with deer that it worked very well. It smelled very sweet and much like vanilla extract. I dilluted some vanilla extract and tried it in place of the commercial stuff and it worked just as well. Now, this is all the scent cover I use. It seems to mask the human smell very well.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Human odor is difficult to "cover". It requires some pretty strong smells to hide the stink of man. I use Moth balls.

Moth balls have a very strong odor. A few in your pockets and you are good to go. The deer will not detect your human odor under the scent of moth balls.

Moth balls are effective because it is not a smell that deer are accustomed to. Most deer learn to associate the smell of humans with danger from their mother. When the doe smells human scent and acts "spooky" the fawns quickly learn that particular odor means danger.

Since the smell of moth balls is a new, strange odor, the deer are not spooked by it. They normally display a curiosity and will approach quite closely to check out the strange scent.

The only difficulty involved with using moth balls as a cover scent is trying to get the little moths to spread their legs so you can harvest the balls.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think any scent will fully mask human odor. If the wind is wrong, The deer will smell you and your cover scent.

I think it may dilute it to a point where he will think that you are not an immediate threat and that's just a wild ass guess.

I do know that stand height and being odor free, both clothing and body do help. Years of bowhunting taught me this.

Here is an excellent article on cover scents and the ability of deer to detect different odors simultaneously.

Deer sense of smell and cover scents

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
i've read that indians ritually used woodsmoke before a hunt. if you think about it, it makes sense to me. i'm sure a deer can smell woodsmoke a LONG way away. i'm also sure that the deer on the property i hunt are quite used to that smell on a daily basis during the wintertime, as every dwelling for 100 miles probably has a woodstove/fireplace.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a good article. I've reached some of the same conclusions observing my pointers and their ability to detect scent.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,879
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.