-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually go to Denmark when I cook with a Dutch oven.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I cook with Dutch Ovens all the time on my wagon trains. The last thing the settlers would give up is there Oven. I have cooked roasts with all the fixins and cobbler. You can stack them to utilize the coals on top of one for the bottom of the other.
Easy to cook with and great in the wind.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Allen917
A good Dutch Oven is required around my house. Nothing better than than a stovetop roast cooked in it. Way too many other uses both on the stove and in the oven.

When my niece got married she picked out some super expensive clad aluminum cookware for her bridal registry. I instead gave her one of my older and best seasoned Dutch Ovens. She kindof turned her nose up at it at the time. But about 5 years latter, she hugged my neck and told me that was the best and most useful pot she had. Experience counts!
Did you include instructions on maintaining the season?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Big_Papa
I have collected Griswold for years started with a few pieces frome my grandparents and now have more then anyone needs. I have a dutch that is double stamped (Griswold/Wagner) not so common. I use mine for everything but boiling water.
I've got one of those too. Didn't know they were rare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I usually go to Denmark when I cook with a Dutch oven and I also get some double dutch rudder while I'm there. It's all part of the menu. sick

Fixed it for you. grin

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Allen917
A good Dutch Oven is required around my house. Nothing better than than a stovetop roast cooked in it. Way too many other uses both on the stove and in the oven.

When my niece got married she picked out some super expensive clad aluminum cookware for her bridal registry. I instead gave her one of my older and best seasoned Dutch Ovens. She kindof turned her nose up at it at the time. But about 5 years latter, she hugged my neck and told me that was the best and most useful pot she had. Experience counts!
Did you include instructions on maintaining the season?

Yep! I told her she should never use soap. Just scrape it out good with a SS Choreboy, rinse and cook/dry on the stove. Finish off with a dab of lard on a papertowel. I don't think she believed me though.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
fastest and easiest way to ruin a good DO is to wash with soap. I don't know how many times I had to beat that concept into the wife's head. And I've been using olive oil on mine as we don't usually have lard in the house. I do have a jar of rendered bear fat that was given to me to season my boot leather... hummm.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bbassi
fastest and easiest way to ruin a good DO is to wash with soap. I don't know how many times I had to beat that concept into the wife's head. And I've been using olive oil on mine as we don't usually have lard in the house. I do have a jar of rendered bear fat that was given to me to season my boot leather... hummm.

We usually buy a small box of lard around Thanksgiving. Absolutly nothing better for making flaky pie crusts with during the holiday season. January 1st its back to Crisco for cooking and I use the lard on the cast iron or just occasionally (when noone is watching) to grease the skillet for cooking cornbread cause it makes the bottom crust so wonderfully crispy!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
ummmm lard!
Only thing better ?
Grandma's can of bacon fat

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (222Sako, 160user, 1eyedmule, 219DW, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 3,605 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,753
Posts18,535,576
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.