Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hello

I had a Remington 700 turned into a 375 Ruger. I had a Sako Extractor installed, bolt face opened. Ruger 375 barrel installed.

I installed a Ultra Mag mag box. If I work the action quickly there are no issues, feeds slick.

If I go slowly, the Rounds want to pop out out the action, they ingage to about the half way point then pop out. (halfway into the first, narrower portion of the rails) I've tried some 300 rem mag rounds and they feed great. Basically the 375 rounds are clearing, jumping out of the feed rail prematurely. I emery clothed the rails a touch, but I'm in uncharted territory here so don't want to go too far.

I'm loading a flat faced 300 gr Hordany DGX, I have not tried any pointed bullets.

Any thoughts here?? I have a few springs, I weakened one and it sure helped a little, they just pop with less velocity so the feeding is improved a bit.

Love the gun, I just want to get this feeding issue solved.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First, LEAVE THE RAILS ALONE! The rounds are popping out prematurely because the rails are, at the moment, insufficient to hold them in. What was the original caliber? Did you try a different follower?

Wide rounds with big necks (375 Ruger) need ample room to spread out, which changes the geometry of the stack, increasing the outward force on the top round to help hold it tight against the walls and beneath the feed rails. It may be time to let someone with experience in this area "look" at the problem before going much further.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trout,

I came to this forum to spicificly to write a similar post. I have a 700 rechambered from .308 to .300WSM Im not trying to hi-jack this thread but to work collectively to solve our mutual problem. I have one additional problem my 700 is is left handed.

Would it be possable to replace the follower with one designed for any of the Short Mags offered in the model 700? If this is an option, is the follower the same for a Left and Right action??

Is there a way to lessen the strengtht of the follower spring to keep the rounds from poping out?

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Trout248 -

As I recall, the .375 Ruger case body is the same diameter as the belt on an H&H based belted mag. Have you tried just using your existing belted mag sheet metal rather than the RUM stuff? It may work out better for you.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thnaks guys. Rifle started out as a 30/06, hence opening the bolt face and installing the sako extractor.

I'm using a follower that came out of a Remngton 700 300 win mag. Its a left handed gun as well.

I wish I could say I have not done anything to the rails. I stoned off a bit of material, maybe a couple .000's. I'll be leaving it alone from here on out.

Funny on the stack thing, initially I thought the rails were too wide from the get go, popping out. Makes sense know. All my searched mentioned something like, "and with a little careful file work I was able to get it to feed" guess I'll step back a bit here.

As for the follower (cheap Piece) Thinking of grinding back the follower to widen the case bearing area. I agree that the stack needs to sit wider in the mag.

There might always be the option to install a detachable mag potemtially, but seeing stickers on those sure would like to make what I have work.

Thanks guys!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Usually, the rails are the LAST thing you touch...here is what I would try:

1. Try a different follower. If you have a 300WM follower, try a RUM follower or vice versa.

2. Open the top of the magazine box. This should set up the stack a little wider and hence the rails have more grip.

I am by no means an expert in rebarreling rifles but I have found it is usually easier to start with an action as close as possible to the desire case. I probably would have started with at least a standard magnum or RUM action.

RH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on both things mentioned by himmelrr. Sometimes the follower is an easy fix. If not, spread the front portion of the mag box lips out a bit to let more of the cartridge case be tucked underneath the rail during the bolt stroke.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try it first with the regular magazine box. The UM window box may be the culprit. I was experimenting with a window box on my 22 Dasher to gain 1 back in the magazine due to the improved body, but it wouldn't feed for schitt with 4 down, so went back to a regular box.

Also, make sure the box is sitting even on the action and has some play, not pinched tight by the floorplate.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Sounds good, I'll try some ideas tonight. Thanks

The Factory mag box makes the issue much worse, rounds have actually cleared the action totally and fallen to the floor LOL Headstamp first. Ultra Mag box fixed a lot of that

I'll look into the follower

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I built a 375 Ruger on a S/S 700 300 WM action using all the original magazine parts, and mine feeds like butter, including upside down.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Exactly.. BTDT myself..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The same problem you describe is quite common with Ultra Mags as well; just nobody talks about it!
The mag box is too narrow. The follower has nothing to do with it except on the last shell. On preceeding rounds, the round beneath acts as the follower. You can change followers 'til the cows come home (assuming you have cows, that is)and it will have no effect on any but the last round.
The best cure is to set the receiver up and mill about .020 off each side. Not the rails; beneath the rails. Then, sprread the mag box apart at the rear and tack it in this position with a spot of weld. Then split the front and do the same thing. The idea is to widen the box. There will be some issues with the bottom metal. Deal with them appropriately. When it is working the way you want, finish the welds at each end of the box.
The second best cure is to thin the metal at the top of the mag box and provide more space beneath the rails for the cartridges by re-forming the top of the box. This is the best approach for the amateur 'smith. Magazine boxes are relatively cheap to replace if you mess up while receivers are not!
The box widening method is an absolute necessity for a WSM.
Remington's mag boxes with the little windows in them were a cheap and cheezy approach to making the fat cartridges fit. That engineer should have been slapped out of his desk chair and sent out to work in the shop for a bit. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want AALF's 375 Ruger . . . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HE! HE!

Fat chance.......

grin

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Ya, you lucked out for sure, mine feeds like butter as long as I do my part and cycle fast, puts 3 shots out as fast as I can go. But I want this gun as reliable as a push feed can be. Its going to Kodiak this coming April and at that point want to be 100 percent confident in its feeding.

Load developement has been great, been playing with RL15 and Hordany 300 gr DGX, getting excellent groups at a grain below max. I'm happy with that.

Its a remington 700, Douglas barrel, 21 inches, 8.5 lbs before ammo. Really love the gun. I'd rather shoot it than my very snappy 300 win at 7.5 lbs loaded. Just a nice push, similar to my 45/70, just fun to shoot.

I have a older mag box I'm preforming surgery on tonight, I'm going to play with the widening idea, seems like if nothing else its a easy and cheap place to start.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just so you know . . . the MSRP of a new Ruger 375 Ruger is $1079.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Junior1942
Just so you know . . . the MSRP of a new Ruger 375 Ruger is $1079.

Yea, but it's a Ruger, and not a fine piece of custom craftsmanship with my own personal tastes included.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Ya, and I'm a lefty. Shot a buddies, Ruger is not my favortite, anyway. All said and done my build is still a few 100 under the cost of a new ruger anyway

Managed to basically destroy a mag box trying different ideas. I'm going to get a ultra mag follower, see if that helps.

I'm also thinking of maybe going with a single stack mag. The Wyatts box and follower has me interested. I'm going to give him a call today about it to talk about the application and mods to the reciever. Then I'll just use a mag box extension to hopefully get back to 3 down.

The other, and much more expensive route is to go with a detachable magazine, 2 different people make one for the 338 Lapua, I'll look at the case dimensions to see how it compares to the ruger, don't know much about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another option would be to go with the old 375HH. Its case design lends itself to easy feeding. A rebarrel (or buy new) and you're good to go. That may be cheaper in the long run than going to all the trouble of a wyatts box or detachable mag.

I've seen 700 XCRs in 375HH for 650-700.

RH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't need a 338 Lapua box for the 375 Ruger. HS Precision makes a great detachable box that will work for the 375 Ruger. But before spending that money I would recommend letting an experienced professional have a look. It could save you a fair amount of money. Unless of course you just want a detachable mag assembly. Can't fault you there. They are nice.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,867
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.