Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Not knowing the OD of the PTG cutter Redneck references, but using his setup method with a 1" OD woodruff cutter, it sure seems like there is a potential for the cutter to cut on both sides of the chamber.
The PTG cutter is set up for magnum chamberings.. I use a 1/4" keyway cutter for standards.. Just center it on the bore, cut once, then back up and move the quill up .090 for the top cut and down .090 for the bottom cut.. Equals .430 which is standard M70 barrel cuts..

If you have the tenon cut at correct length, it's easy to dial in .200 of depth and make your cut.. If in doubt (and it's ALWAYS good to double-check) measure the original barrel for tenon, depth of extractor cut and distance of it from the shoulder.

As far as 'cutting into the chamber', you'll note that many factory barrel extractor cuts are (a)either into the belt cut (magnums) or (b) into the web a hair on standards.. It all depends on the measurements of your action, bolt, extractor and chambering..

Measure 2-3 times, and then measure again just to be sure..

Keep in mind, once the extractor cut's done, you still need to relieve the edge that meets the chamber to ensure no burr's there to scuff up new cases..

Just an observation, but I would not do it Clemson's way.. There's nothing to lock down that muzzle in case something gets loose.. I mount mine parallel to the table and ensure that muzzle is anchored.. NOTHING gets loose this way and eliminates a potential tool breakage or damage to the barrel..

Just my .02... Take it for what it's worth..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm about ready to take a drive to Redneck's and get some hands-on tutoring . . . . seeing it done is learning. Seeing it done properly is even better !

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I'm about ready to take a drive to Redneck's and get some hands-on tutoring . . . . seeing it done is learning. Seeing it done properly is even better !
'Observing' will cost ya $90/hour.. And if you were a Queens fan, it doubles.. PLUS ya gotta bring me a good bottle of bubbly..

I ain't cheap.. Heheheheheee...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I bought the PTG model 70 extractor cutter some time back. I did a trial run on some scrap with a 257 Roberts chamber hole; then compared to the pre64 70's take off barrel. The specialized cutter's arc is pretty small(maybe 0,380" diameter roughly), so have a large hump in the middle of the cut slot. The original pre64's barrel extractor slot was blended to the chamber cavity nicely. Looks like the arc across each tooth could be made larger, but then have to figure in the 473 and 532 heads and perhaps have to own two specific cutters etc.

I was hoping to save some labor with a specialized cutter, but if I do use it, it still takes a lot of filing etc to blend(get rid of the middle hump) like the originals. With that said, most of the time, I just reach for a 1/4 straight and finish up with a file.

I thought that perhaps I did not understand everything yet about using the cutter, but the curvature of each tooth has me perplexed......and it mostly sits on the shelf.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Clemson would gain a great deal of rigidity by clamping with vee blocks(would probably need a mill vice).

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Note that the vise I use has vee's cut in the jaws.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Clemson
Note that the vise I use has vee's cut in the jaws.

Clemson
So does mine.. I still anchor the muzzle...

But then, maybe I'm a tad anal.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 257 mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.