Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have the Ameristep version of the Double Bull. I like it very much and it was about 1/2 the cost.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got several 4'x6' wood-framed ground blinds with plywood sides/floor and metal roofing. They are mounted on skids and can be towed behind a truck or tractor. I put burlap over all of the windows with small holes cut for viewing and larger holes for shooting.

These blinds are large enough to bring kids and let them stretch out, eat snacks, read books, etc. Really good for rainy days too. I usually wind up leveling the blinds on cinderblocks once I've found a really good location.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tzone, I just started shopping around for another blind. What is the model name for the one you have?

Thanks

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Same here. I slide mine up on a low trailer.
We prefer tripods or towers, but our live oak country makes it necessary to look under limbs rather than over brush.

stumpy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For traveling I prefer something lite with a carry strap. For those year-after-year places that produce, I like a fully enclosed wooden blind on either the ground or up on a tower.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of the Doghouse blinds (Ameristep?). They are lightweight and easily portable, and cost about $70. I can't think of anything else I need, especially the highly-advertised ones that cost hundreds.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have an old DB blind... its been well worth the money.. its probably at least from teh early 90s if not 89 or 90 for sure...

Anyway its been out from Sept to Jan each year since.... it has held up well and is finally showing its age. It was never shiny like most of the cheap versions.. which the bone collector from Ameristep just finally addressed... shine can be a big killer.... BIG...

My nephew has bought the cheaper versions and has bought a new one about every 3 years or so... same exposure time for his as ours, if not a hair less actually.

All that being said I don't have the jack for a new double bull right now and will try the bone collector for grins... it should last a few years at least....

Double bull is worth eveyr last penny if you have htem to spare.

As to using a blind or not... I've done and continue to do the lay up/ sit up thing all the time... its just much more comfortable and relaxed if you are inside a ground blind... but trees, bushes etc... have worked for us almost every year getting out and away and closer to game for kills with my little 32-20....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 double bull dark horse blinds, and like them. The price has come down some recently because of the new model that came out called Crusher. Last time I looked, you can get a DB Dark Horse delivered for ~ 270 bucks.

I have never used the shoot through mesh, and don't see that as a disadvantage. My son and I wear black tops and a black ninja head cover/mask. It is a lot of fun to have deer close and unaware that we are sitting 20 yards away on folding chairs. I like to shoot (bow) from a kneeling position, with my butt resting on my ankles. You can maintain great form that way. I have shot sitting in a chair and stool, and I am way more accurate kneeling.

Opening day of bow tomorrow, and my son and I will be sitting in a blind together. Can't wait!

BTW, I also have a cheap old Ameristep doghouse blind with the spring steel panels that i bought at least 6 or 7 years ago (limited use). I shot a doe from it last year and my son shot a buck and a doe. It still works, but it is a PITA to set up, and worse to take down. The camo pattern is faded out too.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
+1 to that Steelhead and you can be more mobile that way.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple Double Bulls. The Matrix, which was the previous model and a gun hunter, which is much smaller and cheaper. You can buy those for less than $150 if you watch Ebay. The gun hunter doesn't work for bow hunting though. I also use a Big Buddy heater in mine a lot when it is cold and can sit all day with my coat not zipped up. Age has chased me from the trees on cold wet days. The only thing I don't like about ground blinds is that when bow hunting, the deer are sometimes too close before you see them. I use a pack called a Blind Hog to carry mine around. You can carry your blind, 2 chairs, all your stakes, your gun or bow, or whatever else you can fit in it. http://www.cabelas.com/p-0068400519175a.shtml If I was to have only one, it would be the Matrix. I have not tried a Crusher but had a dark horse and didn't like it as well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Ameristep Doghouse blinds are easy to fold up with the right technique. Just fold it like you fold a bandsaw blade. Sorry, but there's no way in heck I could describe that maneuver with written words. You just have to see it done a few times and practice it yourself.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never seen a problem planting my back against a tree and ass on the ground if I wanted to stay put for a spell.

Think sumpin' that simple might just work? whistle

Been floppin' down under a few big hemlocks for many, many years. Used to just sit on pine needles, now have some 5 gal. pails stratecically located under them trees. Getting older, easier on my knees and keister.

Generally a bit dark under a hemlock and the ones I use are big enough "trunked" to break your outline. Kick up the needles and dirt when ya settle in, good cover scent.

Lost track of how many deer I've killed while snuggled up against a hemlock tree. One was only a few feet away, when he come zoomin' past and bit the dust.

Might try a blind someday, ain't got around to it yet? Get wanderlust sometimes and there are several other favorite hemlocks to lounge under, where I hunt deer. All have some blood on 'em. ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (7887mm08, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,567 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.