Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
160 gr Nosler Partitions have shot well on paper and big game in at least three 7x57s. Some time ago I experimented with 140 gr TSX in the rifles. Although I liked the velocity, accuracy was not there so I went back to NPs.

The 7x57 continues to have the reputation of poor accuracy due to long throats and in many cases will shoot only one or two particular loads well.

Have Barnes bullets improved accuracy in your 7x57s?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Roundoak,
Long throats is a misconception..The most accurate 7x57s I have ever shot are the Mod. 21 and 22 Brnos and they have an extremely long throat in that I can seat a 175 gr. Nosler or Hornady half way to the cannalure and get great MOA accuracy, then turn around and shoot the 130 gr. Speer ( a favorite deer bullet of mine ) with the same accuracy..and I am convienced, based on the large number of Brno 21s and 22s I have had over the years, that all the brnos will do just that. I have never seen a Brno M-21 or 22 that would not shoot great groups.

As a result of my many years of hunting and building rifles I have adopted the Brno specs in all my custom 7x57s using long boxes and very long throats, and accuracy has been great..

I suspect the lack of accuracy in most 7x57 is bad barrels and the throat and the jump to the lands is bad press without substance, thats been repeated way too many times..I use Lothar Walthar barrels in all my custom rifles and they all shoot well.

My using loads are huge doses of H-414 with any bullet and I load way over max with that long throat and magazine as the long throat is, in effect, the same as a 7x57 Imp..I get 3200 FPS with the 130 gr. and 2916 FPS with a 160 gr. Nosler and 2700 with a 175 with all of the guns set up like this. These are 10 round chronographed with the high and low taken out for the average..pressures are mild in that I get 14 to 15 loadings with them.

I won't list the powder charge as I would be concerned that someone would use it in a standard chamber or in a Mod 95 or 96 Mauser for instance, but its considerably over book max for a 7x57...

I have had good accuracy with the 140 and 160 gr. Barnes bullets but I am not sold on monolithics as a rule, the GS Customs bullets being the exception as they have performed admirable in all my 7x57s as has the Noslers and Woodleighs. I also use the Speers and ocassionally the Sierras for deer and they work well, especially the 130 gr. Speer.

I hope this helps your endeavor to get accuracy out of the 7x57 and pick up some velocity if you so desire.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Ray - Any idea how the chambers on the CZ 550 in 7x57 compare with the Brno chambers? Also, I walked out of a pawn shop this morning with a really niceJC Higgins/FN 270. I have every intention of rebarreling it in 7x57. What do I need to know about having it chambered to get maximum utility and accuracy like you're describing in this thread?
Thanks, Dave

Last edited by OldRooster; 08/19/10.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've had very good results with the Partitions in my 7x57 and have stayed with them. I'd be interested to know if the Barnes has much more to offer.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Ray - Any idea how the chambers on the CZ 550 in 7x57 compare with the Brno chambers? Also, I walked out of a pawn shop this morning with a really niceJC Higgins/FN 270. I have every intention of rebarreling it in 7x57. What do I need to know about having it chambered to get maximum utility and accuracy like you're describing in this thread?
Thanks, Dave

You better shoot it with that 270 barrel on it before you change over to 7 X 57.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Thanks, Dave

You better shoot it with that 270 barrel on it before you change over to 7 X 57.
You think? Are they that good?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ray,

It appears I have been looking at the wrong components to achieve a reasonable balance of accuracy and velocity in the 7x57s. I do not have Brno rifles with Walther barrels, rather a Buhmiller barrel on a pre-64 M70, McGowen barrel on a VZ24 and a Ruger barrel on a M77. These rifles have all been particular what loads work well. What two rifles have in common is a preference for a 160 gr Nosler Partition. The other, VZ24, shoots respectable groups with the 160gr NP, however a 145gr Speer Hot-Cor SP shoots sub-MOA, but only if the bullet is seated with a Lee Crimp Die.

In all three rifles the magazine box dictates COAL, so when I learned that the Barnes TSX bullets are longer than most bullets of equal weight, I thought, Hey, maybe I can seat the TSX's closer to the lands to defeat the bullet jump to the lands in the long throats and still get the loaded ammo to work in the magazine box.

After talking to Barnes technical support my original thoughts may not prove out as I was advised the TSX like a good bullet jump, .50-.70 and some rifles more than that.

So started the thread to learn what others are experiencing with Barnes TSX's in the 7x57.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Roundoak,

You might send a PM to Ingwe, I believe his preferred load for 7x57 uses a 160 Barnes.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Rightamundo!!! 160 gr TSX in front of 50 gr. H4831sc...and yes, it DID improve accuracy!! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A 140gn TSX will drill a red stag or full grown stallion when loaded to 2900fps with consistency, meaning I have never recovered one.

The interesting thing is we are conditioned to think that heavier bullets with higher SD offer superior penetration and yet on these same animals, I have recovered 3 Failsafe 160gn bullets with front petals sheared off. The X's kept going no matter what they hit even though 20 grains lighter.

This is one reason I disregard SD with expanding bullets. I can accept the "theory" with solids but not with expanding bullets. I believe comparing C&C bullets to homogenous of equal weight is foolish. Many of us can accept that but there are still non believers when SD gets floated in the argument.

Having said all that, I see no need for bullets heavier than 140 grains in these smaller 7mm cases when using Barnes bullets. I woudl load a heavier bullet if C&C or bonded core depending on the live weight of the animals hunted.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I wish the 140 TSX or TTSX would shoot in my own 7x57, which has a "short" throat, just long enough seat most spitzers out to 3.1" OAL or so. But it sprays both of them.

The 160 TSX's shoot very well in it, but I have not been impressed with how quickly they kill when started at 2700 or so. They penetrate and expand, but just don't put animals down like bullets in the 140-grain class. Or at least that is my experience.

In the 160-grain class, in fact, I much prefer the 156 Norma Oryx in the 7x57, because it makes a bigger hole and still penetrates very deeply. Oh, and it is among the most accurate bullets in my rifle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
A 140gn TSX will drill a red stag or full grown stallion when loaded to 2900fps with consistency, meaning I have never recovered one.
Mel Forbes intro to the 284 Win in Nosler #6 states that many of his customers have found a 140gr @ 2900 to work quite well. You appear to have the same experience, just a different 'engine'.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ingwe,

Do you believe the design of the bullet was the main reason you saw improved accuracy?

Do you believe the length (1.405) allowed you to get closer to the lands for improved accuracy?

Or do you believe the rifle simply preferred the bullet?

Please excuse so many questions. It is just that my only experience with the TSX was a 140gr in three rifles and using H4350, H4831sc and H414 I could not get the accuracy of a 160 gr Nosler Partition. I am just dipping a toe into the Barnes water and want to learn from those that have experience with the TSX in the 7x57 before I start buying a bunch of the bullets.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
God knows I love Barnes bullets but I run the same bullet (Norma Oryx) as JB in my 7x57

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by roundoak
Ingwe,

Or do you believe the rifle simply preferred the bullet?

Yep, that, and the design...the rifle never liked ANY other 160-162 grainer, so I shot 175 Gr nosler PTs out of it...MOA....The Barnes instantly shrunk that to .75 or better, and will penetrate as well, or better than the 175s NPTs...
Bear in mind I reserve the 7x57 for the larger game I am apt to shoot...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ingwe, what is the COAL with the 160gr Barnes?

Thanks, Wayne

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
The 7x57 continues to have the reputation of poor accuracy due to long throats and in many cases will shoot only one or two particular loads well.

Funny, this is the very first time i have ever heard of the 7x57's reputation of poor accuracy. Now that I know that, maybe I should sell all my 7x57s. wink

NOT!

When I go to the woods with any one of my "inaccurate" rifles chambered to 7x57, brown, 4-legged animals are in serious peril.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They do tend to mysteriously fall over don't they? laugh

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With this new-found knowledge, I can now rule-out the idea that "my 7x57s are good hunting rifles" as a cause of this phenomenon. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am always in the market for 7x57s should you decide to sell. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 30 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.