-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a pair of the lowa rangers and really like them.

My favorite was the cabela mountain hunters but they are no longer made.

Those Montrail Torre GT. Seem to be on sale everywhere. They might be decent. Anybody worn those?

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would stay away from the Vasques if I were you. They used to make a good boot but not anymore. When I was looking to replace my worn out Vasques I was going to get the Sundowners. Then I read how they are made in China now instead of Italy. So I did some research on different backpacking gear review sites and everyone was complaining that the fit was now off and they weren't as durable as when they were made in Italy. I emailed Vasque and they stated they were not going to resume production in Italy. So I bought the LL Bean Crestas in my link and couldn't have been happier. That's why I let everyone know the Crestas and the Mountain Hikers are made in Romania. It's a shame, Vasque used to make a good boot. They moved production to China but kept the price the same.
The only pair of boots I've had that were made in China that were worth anything (were durable and comfortable) are my Rocky Great Oak Loggers. A good winter work boot but too heavy for backpack hunting.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The ASOLO Sasslongs on Sierra Trading Post right now for $169.00 look awefully nice to me. Lots of positive reviews and they come in two different widths(lots of sizes left also).

Good luck, Leftybolt

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
rem79 I looked at those a while ago and I thought they might have been the sundowner boot. I bet they are a good boot. Some of my old backpacker friends where devastated when they pulled those boots to china.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was pretty upset to. So I started to look around and I got the LL Bean boot on sale last year. I was also looking at the Asolo 520s with Gore-Tex. Those are made in Romania to. It's weird, I get to looking at boots and of the three I was looking at they are all made in Romania.
Ever since Vasque started to make their boot in China I won't buy them again. I don't just like to hunt and backpack hutn but like to backpack in the off season. Boots are one thing that shouldn't be made in China.

Last edited by remington79; 08/24/10. Reason: added text
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I forgot to mention in my last post the Ll Bean Cresta boots have more room in the toe box than the Sundowners. This is in the normal width. I like that because I can wear heavier socks without my toes getting pinched.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Great info guys. Thanks.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like my Danner Ft Lewis Light.

I tend to consider "quality inexpensive" to be an oxymoron.

[img]http://s7ondemand5.scene7.com/is/image/LaCrosse/29124?$09_pdp$[/img]

Last edited by acesandeights; 08/24/10.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by remington79
I would stay away from the Vasques if I were you. They used to make a good boot but not anymore. When I was looking to replace my worn out Vasques I was going to get the Sundowners. ...

Been there, done that with the Vasques. Used to be my wife and I counted on Vasque Sundowners, but no more. We got burned trying the Chinese version. No bueno.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up Asolo 520's this weekend at REI. Good fit. I needed size 13 U.S to fit though. My last books were Danners in 11 1/2 U.S. If you put the 2 boots heel to heel they are the same length. Asolo's are not as narrow in the heel and toe box. Better for me.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Another vote for the Cabelas boot listed! They come in B-width as well.

Good Shooting!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought these boots from cabelas. So far I think that they are very good shoes for the money. Have not done any serious mountian climbing with them but they worked well in hilly terain during turkey season. They were on sale for 130 when I got mine.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...dex&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks Bryant. I was looking at those last night. You got a great deal at $130

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Quality inexpensive...????

You can have one or the other but not both. If you buy cheap you get cheap.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If at all possible I would drive somewhere to try them on, it's worth the time and extra money when you have a good fitting pair of boots "your feet will thank you :)". i also enjoy my danners.

Myself & a couple buddies are headed to Colorado in a couple weeks to hit the backcountry & one of them JUST bought a pair of $35 wal-mart boots. I've tried multiple times to sway him into spending a little more money & get some better ones but he's dead set that those will be sufficient.

IMO... this is a mistake. First he just bought them "not broken in" 2nd not as high quality & i believe he'll pay for it drastically, your feet carry all of your load & need to be taken care of.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Slidellkid,

Lots of good pretty good advice so far.

I gather you will be backpack hunting given the forum, but has your hunting partner shared what kind of activity level and the type of terrain you'll likely encounter?

Will you be doing fully self-supported high mileage/elevation stuff or relatively shorter forays from a car camp with a light daypack? If the former, there are a handfull of boots that you can depend on to get you comfortably through several years of hard use. If the later, there are lots of boots out there that will serve you reasonably well until you can afford to shell out for a higher quality boot that would be more suitable/comfortable and built to last.

I've blown through three $260ish Cabela's branded italian made hunting boots (Mountain Hunters). Two were non-insulated and one was an even older insulated version. Awesome comfy once broken in and exept for an abrupt gore-tex failure in the first uninsulated pair (that they replaced), held up well to lots of hard use. It wasn't ever clear who the actual manufacturer was since Cabela's was pretty tight lipped about who actually made them under their name. I still have one pretty nice pair of insulated Mountain Hunters but they don't get anywhere near the mileage or use as the non-ins. I made the switch to a pair of non-insulated Kenetrek "Mountain Extremes" for this year's earlier seasons. We'll see if they hold up as well as people claim.

BTW, Kenetrek has a "Sale Room" with some screaming deals from time to time. You might check it out and see if they have anything in there that would suit your fancy.

Good luck this year!

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ZEKEOB
If at all possible I would drive somewhere to try them on, it's worth the time and extra money when you have a good fitting pair of boots "your feet will thank you :)". i also enjoy my danners.

Myself & a couple buddies are headed to Colorado in a couple weeks to hit the backcountry & one of them JUST bought a pair of $35 wal-mart boots. I've tried multiple times to sway him into spending a little more money & get some better ones but he's dead set that those will be sufficient.

IMO... this is a mistake. First he just bought them "not broken in" 2nd not as high quality & i believe he'll pay for it drastically, your feet carry all of your load & need to be taken care of.

IMO, it's a big mistake. IME, "100% Waterproof" Wal-Mart boots are waterproof until you walk in dew-laden grass or step in a mudhole. I now wear only Cabelas boots.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
SK,

Take a gander at these: Asolo Sasslongs

Mine have been everywhere, with a load and without, in snow, rain and dry. Be good to your feet. Sign up at STP and these can be had for around $130.

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.