Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
looks great and comes in at the perfect weight IMO..

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 22WRF
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Why not just make it a blind mag like the Kimber Montana?

Because a blind magazine is a snake waiting to bite....why would a M70 want to be like a Kimber? smile

I own both ( A classic Compact SA in .308 and kimber Montana)

They are more alike than different, except maybe the recoil lug and the coned breach, and the Kimber with the blind mag operates just as easily and as well as the Winchester with its mag.

I have owned both, as well,actually several of each.The Kimber tries to be a M70,except it isn't....both work fine......till the magazine box gets filled with crud....or they jam for some crazy reason.At that point the M70 is cleaned up in seconds with the press of a button,and the Kimber Montana.....well......anyone got a pocket knife? grin

Floor plates are there not for when everything works well,but for those times when it doesn't.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/28/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
free miner: Good solution.Your point about being able to clean out the magazine well is a good one;also allows freeing up a jam easily,should it occur.

Couldn't agree more, only way to run a POS M70 as they are prone to jams. Hence the reason all my blind magazine rifles are Remington....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was mean.....Are all your Remington bolt handles welded on for safe keeping?
How does one jam a Win/M70? I mean a real one..pre/64?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rifle
That was mean.....Are all your Remington bolt handles welded on for safe keeping?
How does one jam a Win/M70? I mean a real one..pre/64?

Kinda wondering the same thing......

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
....... only way to run a POS M70 as they are prone to jams.....

That funny right there..... grin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I tried

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
very nice..so,..a Win can be made into a lightweight.

Question of the day...how come when aluminium bottom metal is on a Winchester it's called "alloy",..when it's on a Remington it's called "pot metal"?

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rembo if you're askin' me....I dunno confused smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alloy....? ? ? Usually the mod 70 guys will add "aircraft grade" to the mix and precision CNC'ed, mil spec tolerance.............. grin

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nice job on the metal, now all you've got to do is get buy some nice walnut and get rid of the plastic!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amen...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, nothing like waterproof walnut...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not just make it a blind mag like the Kimber Montana?

Because a blind magazine is a snake waiting to bite....why would a M70 want to be like a Kimber? smile

I own both ( A classic Compact SA in .308 and kimber Montana)

They are more alike than different, except maybe the recoil lug and the coned breach, and the Kimber with the blind mag operates just as easily and as well as the Winchester with its mag.

I have owned both, as well,actually several of each.The Kimber tries to be a M70,except it isn't....both work fine......till the magazine box gets filled with crud....or they jam for some crazy reason.At that point the M70 is cleaned up in seconds with the press of a button,and the Kimber Montana.....well......anyone got a pocket knife? grin

Floor plates are there not for when everything works well,but for those times when it doesn't.

ever hear of a screwdriver? Quite frankly, if your kimber montana magazine box gets filled with crud, then the rest of the rifle is probably filled with crud as well, and if it were a winchester, would probably be filled with crud as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

ever hear of a screwdriver?

No....what are they for?..... smirk

Disassembly? To clear a jam? That's funny.........doing away with floorplates is kinda like saying my tires aren't flat...so I don't need a spare.......this stuff gets funny.All to save a few lousy ounces.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I prefer blind mag...be it CRF or push feed. Just my preference though....

JCM

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How does a mag well fill with crud if the rifle is carried with the bolt closed?

What kind of jams occur that necessitate an open hole to be digging them out?

These are real questions, as I'm toying back and forth between blind and floorplate right now on one of my builds. I've just never filled a rifle with crud nor ever had a jam. What am I missing?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've wondered the same. I reguarly get mud/dirt on rifles, but I've not had one submersed in mud (have had one under water).

I don't think I've ever had a true "jam". Some that don't feed as smoothly as others but nothing that ever needed clearing. Thinking about a jam, pulling the bolt back and flipping out the jammer should clear it, leaving the rest of the rounds in the mag. Dropping the floor plate would empty the mag.

Again, I don't have experience with these, so I'd rather learn through someone else's bad experience than my own so feel free to share.

JCM

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
How does a mag well fill with crud if the rifle is carried with the bolt closed?

What kind of jams occur that necessitate an open hole to be digging them out?

These are real questions, as I'm toying back and forth between blind and floorplate right now on one of my builds. I've just never filled a rifle with crud nor ever had a jam. What am I missing?

Wasn't trying to give the impression that I regularly open the floorplate to scoop rocks, grasshoppers, and small children out of the magwell.

But I have had rain and snow get in and freeze solid in there, lots of dust and pine needles build up over several days. Once, I am a bit embarassed to admit, I stuck a bullet in the throat and filled the lug recess and mag box with 62 grains of 4831, though not while hunting.

Of course I'd have lived with a blind mag, but it is a lot easier to deal with with a floorplate.

There is practically no weight penalty between an alloy (pot-metal on a 700 haha) floorplate and a fiberglass blind magazine. Maybe an ounce. In some cases you lose capacity going to a blind mag.

Don't really know about the jamming thing. I suppose if you had a tight stovepipe with a full mag, releasing the pressure from below would clear it faster than messing around under a low mounted scope.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,996
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.